X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeepers
    replied
    Originally posted by greenback View Post
    i would agree with you somewhat on Earls...I like him as a winger and he is a good finisher but he hasn't got it for 12/13 as he has no spacial awareness and can be headless at times blind as to who supporting him..Zebo has his limitations but very few Irish players are"total" players

For someone with no spatial awareness, he sure makes a lot of line breaks.

Leave a comment:

• HenryFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
    are you really saying that Murray does not take at least 10 seconds too long deciding what to do at the base of the ruck? Phfew...

As as for mixing up Zebo's hands, thank you for demonstrating my point, he has a decent pass off one side, the side doesn't matter.

Earls being able to ruck has nothing to do with his tendency to run like a headless rabbit away from support and lose the ball, best instance of this is Young's try on Saturday. Earls gathers a kick , runs across the park and gets turned over, then Ryan (sub TH) instead of supporting Copeland walks over the other side of the ruck directing the defence that way, then Copeland misses his pillar tackle. It all starts with earls being turned over.

earls has all of the skills you want in a good winger, it's his decision making in open field that is lacking. Now if the brains trust in Munster could sort that one out he truly could be world class.
    Earls caught the kick running across the pitch and then ran towards his forwards, who had just completed the lineout. Bai did well to scrag Earls and the Munster forwards did less well in supporting Earls. It happens sometimes that the opposition get rewarded for good tactical kicking and chasing. The most interesting part of the clip is that Earls spent much of the second half defending as a third centre, which left Munster short of players at the back. Leicester found a way to exploit this.

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
    Back on topic, Munster need a few extra quality players, everybody has their own idea of who and where, and there are shouts for a new 3, 5, 7, 12, 15 ...?

But fundamentally they could start taking the league more seriously to shore up attendances. The fan and family experience at Thomond Park and Muzzer needs to be built on the league games.

There needs to be really good value in a night out in the stadiums - better than now, better marketed and winning teams need to be put out for every home game - including the 'stars'.

In fact there is an argument to hold all home games (bar Leinster and the ERC for the extra cash) in Cork up to January so that they can market the season properly. A game most fortnights in Cork from September to January and in Limerick from January to the season's end. And they need to win every home game so it was worth coming out for it.

And now that Axel is staying, and there is something to be said for continuity, I hope he gets some new blood and expertise in the coaching team.
    Yeah, agree with the thrust of this. The irfu obviously took a decision about 4 years ago to withdraw resources from the provinces, we can now see the effects of this. They need to reinvest for the good of the game here. Munster most critically need to reinvest imho.

I think I'd run with alternating every 2nd home game in Cork &Limerick until a point in the season when you expect to sell more t than 10K seats for each match. I think that would maximise your ticket sales. I totally agree with improving the overall experience, I think the use of the video screens beforehand in the grounds is a case in point e.g. Surely highlights of t tries &matches of campaigns to date for ~45-90mins would get people into the ground early & make an entertaining prelude to the live match that day. Etc,etc,etc

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by greenback View Post
    i would agree with you somewhat on Earls...I like him as a winger and he is a good finisher but he hasn't got it for 12/13 as he has no spacial awareness and can be headless at times blind as to who supporting him..Zebo has his limitations but very few Irish players are"total" players
    yup, I actually feel not one of the Irish squad at the moment is the full package.

Leave a comment:

• greenback
    replied
    are you really saying that Murray does not take at least 10 seconds too long deciding what to do at the base of the ruck? Phfew...

As as for mixing up Zebo's hands, thank you for demonstrating my point, he has a decent pass off one side, the side doesn't matter.

Earls being able to ruck has nothing to do with his tendency to run like a headless rabbit away from support and lose the ball, best instance of this is Young's try on Saturday. Earls gathers a kick , runs across the park and gets turned over, then Ryan (sub TH) instead of supporting Copeland walks over the other side of the ruck directing the defence that way, then Copeland misses his pillar tackle. It all starts with earls being turned over.

earls has all of the skills you want in a good winger, it's his decision making in open field that is lacking. Now if the brains trust in Munster could sort that one out he truly could be world class.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied
    Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
    I don't think the 50/50 thing would work either. Last season was a disaster with all the games in Limerick before Christmas.
    I jeer you <ironically>

Leave a comment:

• Wallyman
    replied
    Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
    Back on topic, Munster need a few extra quality players, everybody has their own idea of who and where, and there are shouts for a new 3, 5, 7, 12, 15 ...?

But fundamentally they could start taking the league more seriously to shore up attendances. The fan and family experience at Thomond Park and Muzzer needs to be built on the league games.

There needs to be really good value in a night out in the stadiums - better than now, better marketed and winning teams need to be put out for every home game - including the 'stars'.

In fact there is an argument to hold all home games (bar Leinster and the ERC for the extra cash) in Cork up to January so that they can market the season properly. A game most fortnights in Cork from September to January and in Limerick from January to the season's end. And they need to win every home game so it was worth coming out for it.
    When it comes to the league your hamstrung by the IRFU not allowing you to use your players half the time (Leinster last season being the major example) and a large section of the fanbase thinking that its a micky mouse league and that nothing matters other than Europe.

I don't think the 50/50 thing would work either. Last season was a disaster with all the games in Limerick before Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• rathbaner
    replied

And now that Axel is staying, and there is something to be said for continuity, I hope he gets some new blood and expertise in the coaching team.
    Last edited by rathbaner; 16th-December-2015, 20:32.

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    Go away ta fup, the game is still a game which is meant to be enjoyed. Especially so at kids levels. If a young fullback or wing on the under 12's for some junior side is told never run it back he might aswell go and play bogball
    Please try to stay on topic sewa

EDIT: still awaiting a response Sewa. Are you gonna answer my question? I
    Last edited by Oldschoolsocks; 16th-December-2015, 17:29.

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    T'would be nice to read my post in context

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied
    Originally posted by limerickstag View Post
    We tried that. We decided we didn't like him. We kicked him out.
    Sigh

Leave a comment:

• limerickstag
    replied
    Originally posted by madra_cogaidh_16 View Post
    To begin to get us out of this rut we need to find a hungry ambitious coach with new zealand naturally the hunting ground.
    We tried that. We decided we didn't like him. We kicked him out.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    If if I were coaching serge blanco I would say yep, give it a go when it's on.

if I were coaching any good young lad,mid say, look up, see what's in front of you, look where your support is.

the golden rule is never make bad ball worse.

theres a time and place for running out of defence, recognising it is the true mark of greatness.
    Go away ta fup, the game is still a game which is meant to be enjoyed. Especially so at kids levels. If a young fullback or wing on the under 12's for some junior side is told never run it back he might aswell go and play bogball

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    And if you never ever run from your own 22 you become predictable and easily defended. If its on then you go regardless of position on the field. I genuinely hope you aren't coaching kids this rubbish

If if I were coaching serge blanco I would say yep, give it a go when it's on.

if I were coaching any good young lad,mid say, look up, see what's in front of you, look where your support is.

the golden rule is never make bad ball worse.

theres a time and place for running out of defence, recognising it is the true mark of greatness.

EDIT : hew Sewa, did you think it was an acceptable risk for Earls to run into a packed defence in is own 22, with nothing on resulting in giving up a seven pointer?
    Last edited by Oldschoolsocks; 16th-December-2015, 14:55.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    if you think it's an acceptable risk to run from adequate support in your own 22 and give up a seven pointer when there's an option to kick for touch then there's something lacking.
    And if you never ever run from your own 22 you become predictable and easily defended. If its on then you go regardless of position on the field. I genuinely hope you aren't coaching kids this rubbish

Leave a comment:

Working...
X