So how can we fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
    We all know we're up **** creek without a paddle at the moment.
    The last few weeks have been pretty depressing as rugby goes. I think we're worse off than we were last season but we all know we've problem, so how do we go about getting back to being a force again. With the restriction of lack of money what can be done, what should be done to try and get Munster back.

Try to leave out as much negatives as possible, we need ways forward, not backwards.

1. Management: In my opinion Foley had no business getting the job, he was too inexperienced, and that was reflected even more by hiring his buddies. You get what it says on the tin really in this instance. So for me, we need to bring in a good experienced management team. It's backwards we're going and losing good players in the process.
    Was Foley too inexperienced as a coach? He had coached at age grade, Munster u20. He has been Munster A coach for several seasons. Forward and defence coach with the senior side for over 5 seasons and temporarily was Irish forwards coach. He had 4/5 years coaching a pro team. The adding of inexperienced assistants yes was a poor decision but what is a "good experienced management team"?
    2. We need to buy smart, we don't have a lot of money when you compare it to France or some English clubs, and it's a hell of a lot harder to buy players when we're playing so poorly, but we need to buy smart when we buy. It's about quality not quantity. Invest smartly. Remember the days when we would worry about the select few that came here if they would buy in to the Munster way. That's now gotten a bit lost and we're shovelling in players from overseas who just aren't that good and to be honest, it doesn't seem like the decision was thought through very well with certain players.

3. A) More matches in Cork. No I don't want the next point to get into an argument re Cork v Limerick, but we're struggling to sell out the ground, it would make more sense to play more matches in Cork, surely a full stadium in Cork would be better than half empty one in Limerick. Build up that bit of an atmosphere get a buzz going again, I really enjoyed the games last year in Cork and I think it's a good way to go. Really try and get fans back into wanting to go. I saw it suggested somewhere that they should run free busses from Cork to Limerick for the matches, I think that's great idea. But not just Cork, the rest of the Munster counties if the interest is there.
    Buy smart? What does that mean? Invest smartly in who exactly? A half empty stadium in Limerick is still 3000+ more than a completely full to capacity Musgrave so if you want to buy smart and invest in in buying players from abroad more games in Limerick are needed as more money can be made from ticket sales
    B) Repair the relationship between the fans and the club. Look we all want it to be back to how it was.
    Reduce the cost of tickets, let kids in for free. Everything and anything that will get people back in those doors and try and restart that connection between the players and the teams. Get them back involved..Does anyone remember the Munster player race a few years ago, that was a great laugh, stuff like that that gets them back in to the province, give new heroes to the young lads.

4. Player development..We need to bring through more young players. Who have we brought through since Murray, POM, Zebo. Why do we have so many Leinster players who didn't make it there.
    Wally suggested it recently that we need to use the clubs again. I agree with this completely. There must be good players we're missing that fall through the cracks at underage level, that miss out on the academy. Can you imagine the game time and the experience the young players would get just playing club rugby each week.
    Again reducing costs of tickets and letting kids in for free doesn't help with income and you need ticket sales to help keep the show on the road and to help with the signing of players from abroad etc.
    The Munster Race ran in 2013/2014 I imagine with the world cup it didn't but no reason it didn't run last summer.
    How do you propose to bring in more young players? What exactly do you mean by use the clubs again? The clubs are used, club players who weren't seen as good enough at 19/20 are often used in the British and Irish Cup or A interprovincial games.
    young players who miss out on the academy are getting lots of game time and experience in the club game.
    It's all about the coaching and that happens at underage level, that's why I think it's so important that we use the clubs to our advantage again. Look at Kilkenny (God help me) hurling. A success endless rotator belt of outstanding hurlers, player after player. There's no transition of young players going out and looking a bit lost, they play their first game in the Kilkenny jersey and they're 10 feet tall. Absolute relentless attitude towards the game, incredible training and incredible basics.

(New Zealand are the same. Look at their success rate of producing top players, and they're population is as small as ours)
    What exactly do you want done with the clubs to change things so much for the better?
    How do you change coaching at underage level? New Zealand does have a similar population size but with rugby the national sport they get the best athletes playing rugby in general. We don't in general have the best athletes playing rugby as they are playing gaelic football/soccer/hurling.
    We have to help improve the standards of coaching within clubs. You wont have improvement if teams train once a week for an hour and a half and they spend half that time on unit play and scrums/lineouts/moves. You wont improve standards when you only have 12-15 games in a season.
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post
    I think the first thing to recognise regarding' fixing "Munster is that there is no quick fix. So we're looking at fairly serious medium to long term solutions

Firstly, Munster needs to invest more in its playing and coaching resources. The poor form being exhibited now is symptomatic of hiring cheaper, less able players to replace previously world class players like Wally, Howlett,Rog,Paulie, Fla, etc, etc

Secondly, Munster needs top class coaches. Not inexperienced, yellow pack guys, but experienced, quality brains that some of the younger deputies could also learn from working with perhaps.

As a temporary measure I think they should consider hiring Eos as a coaching /attack consultant to help Brian Walsh with the backs and Munster's attacking play in general. Why not?? It's not like Munster's play in these facets will improve without trying something different. From next season, if Axel is retained and that is a big if, I'd like to see a top class backs and skills coach join the coaching team.
    Of course there isn't a quick fix.
    By investing more in playing and coaching resources how do you propose doing this. Replacing world class or near world class players is a very difficult thing. Munster having players of the standard of Flannery, Wallace, ROG, Paulie etc all in the team at the same time is likely not to ever happen again. All are top top level players world wide. Replacing them through signing players from abroad is very difficult especially in the market today with the huge increase in budgets of all sides in England and France not to mention the rise of Japan which affects Southern Hemisphere players coming up here.
    Any suggestions for a "top class coach"? What exactly is a top class coach anyway?

Comment

We should start a thread with suggestions, pool the best ones and then forward it to Munster rugby
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
        We should start a thread with suggestions, pool the best ones and then forward it to Munster rugby
        There'd be no need to send it to Munster Rugby.

They are reading plenty of what is posted here. . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post

Not much chance of a game in the Páirc anytime soon.
          Yes, PUC is going through a full refurbishment with 2 brand new stands which will t result in a stadium with a capacity of close to 50,000 people. Also the Gaa will be mad keen for revenue to help pay for this new stadium over the next 10 years +.

That's j just too good an opportunity to miss even for Munster Rugby imho. If they scheduled in say Munster VLeinster every year and any home Euro 1/4 final or pro12 semi, this would get 2 bumper games into the mega stadium in the province. The sums should work, 50,000 people assuming they could fill the place is nearly twice the capacity of TP. It would also have the nice spin off benefit of reconnecting Munster with the (neglected) Cork rugby public.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Would 50,000 turn up though?

Comment

Only one way to find out.

Comment

Im sure we will hear Wednesday night its all Penney's fault..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	sewa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	2486647

Sewa will deliver the best ideas.
                  Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                    Would 50,000 turn up though?
                    Only for the big box office draw games. It would have to be Munster V leinster imho, and say Euro cup 1/4finals or pro 12 semis (or finals) say.

P.s.also we know from all the dedicated limerick Munster fans on here, that it is only a little over an hour on the road Limerick to Cork!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Worth noting that Munster had the best official attendance at the weekend 22,261. Ulster were next best with 16,061.

Also worth noting that an attractive game like the Wasps v Bath game attendance was 11,319 - half that of Munsters (capacity of Ricoh 32,500).

The Toulon v Leinster game had 12,590 (its capacity is 15,400).

Comment

Only for the big box office draw games. It would have to be Munster V leinster imho, and say Euro cup 1/4finals or pro 12 semis (or finals) say.

P.s.also we know from all the dedicated limerick Munster fans on here, that it is only a little over an hour on the road Limerick to Cork!
                        It'll be like an away match for them.
                        The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

>P.s.also we know from all the dedicated limerick Munster fans on here, that it is only a little over an hour on the road Limerick to Cork!

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]12944[/ATTACH]

Sewa will deliver the best ideas.
                            It worked great the last time
                            My computer thinks I'm gay
                            What's the difference anyway
                            When all the people do all day
                            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                              It'll be like an away match for them.
                              You better post directions incase some might take the wrong road...
                              There are no stupid questions, just stupid people

Comment

Yes, PUC is going through a full refurbishment with 2 brand new stands which will t result in a stadium with a capacity of close to 50,000 people. Also the Gaa will be mad keen for revenue to help pay for this new stadium over the next 10 years +.

That's j just too good an opportunity to miss even for Munster Rugby imho. If they scheduled in say Munster VLeinster every year and any home Euro 1/4 final or pro12 semi, this would get 2 bumper games into the mega stadium in the province. The sums should work, 50,000 people assuming they could fill the place is nearly twice the capacity of TP. It would also have the nice spin off benefit of reconnecting Munster with the (neglected) Cork rugby public.
                                Won't happen. There's no financial argument for doing so. That's the bottom line.
                                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                                X