Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whimpersnap
    replied
    What I don't understand is why the national coach supposedly telling the players they aren't good enough is forcing their provincial coaches to play negatively.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by joconnell View Post
    A lot of it with the leinster players was having two years of bad coaching from MOC - one example was he had the players passing towards the inside shoulder of their support runner rather than out in front of the support runner, apparently it's a less risky pass to gather but it totally stifles the flow of any go forward attack and gives the defence an extra split second to realign. With munster brian walsh doesn't seem to be doing a great job either and if this is what they're practising day in, day out when they're with their provinces it won't improve things. Leinster's skills have totally regressed under moc and we don't currently have a skills coach. It's fine for the naturals like earls, madigan and zebo but all the other players have to work on it constantly to keep their levels up - it's those guys who'd be more likely to cause moves to break down when they get to an ireland level.

It's been said a tonne of times on here that the junior and senior cup goes for "winning" rugby rather than teaching skills so there's no solid foundation of basics to feed off - I'd love to see nucifora and the irfu try and do a GAA at grass roots level and upskill the schools or kids coaches so good passing is taught really early on.
    I just don't believe players regress that quickly. I think it is a very convenient excuse, put forward by prophets of St Joe, for the puke rugby that Ireland are now playing.

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Hang on, how many Leinster players, with which he had extensively worked, were there in his RWC squad? I can't believe the presence in the squad of Best, POC, POM, Murray etc caused that much of a drop off relative to the couple of Leinster players Joe didn't pick. Ireland are playing dreadful conservative rugby and the negativity and fear of failure that it has engendered has helped to hobble Leinster and Munster.
    Do you honestly believe what you're writing here man? I just don't know what to say to you, you keep pretending that the Leinster team coached my MOC are player for player the same as what Schmidt left behind him. You either clearly do not watch Leinster rugby, do not understand the game OR are just ignoring the evidence in front of you.

Leave a comment:

• thoughtless
    replied
    Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
    I'm saying "we" were over tolerant of players, performances and attitudes which were well below the standard of Munster rugby while dissenting voices were told where to go and judging from attendances they listened. A more demanding fanbase would not have tolerated Keatley's continued selection over JJ for the previous two years.
    The Dowlinz Theorem: the quality of a team's performance is directly proportional to the intolerance for poor performance shown by their fans.

It's amazing no-one figured this out before. I'm going to email it to Mike Ashley immediately.

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by bazzyg View Post
    The players Joe won cups with are broken, he used them up and spat them out. His game plan for some players is not conducive with a long healthy career.
    Lets look at the long term injuries from the build up and during the World Cup and agree on them first:
    POC : ripped hamstring
    POM : torn acl
    JS : repeated concussion
    TB : knee injury
    TOD : dislocated hip
    JP : broken foot

Leave a comment:

• joconnell
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Hang on, how many Leinster players, with which he had extensively worked, were there in his RWC squad? I can't believe the presence in the squad of Best, POC, POM, Murray etc caused that much of a drop off relative to the couple of Leinster players Joe didn't pick. Ireland are playing dreadful conservative rugby and the negativity and fear of failure that it has engendered has hobbled Leinster and Munster.
    A lot of it with the leinster players was having two years of bad coaching from MOC - one example was he had the players passing towards the inside shoulder of their support runner rather than out in front of the support runner, apparently it's a less risky pass to gather but it totally stifles the flow of any go forward attack and gives the defence an extra split second to realign. With munster brian walsh doesn't seem to be doing a great job either and if this is what they're practising day in, day out when they're with their provinces it won't improve things. Leinster's skills have totally regressed under moc and we don't currently have a skills coach. It's fine for the naturals like earls, madigan and zebo but all the other players have to work on it constantly to keep their levels up - it's those guys who'd be more likely to cause moves to break down when they get to an ireland level.

It's been said a tonne of times on here that the junior and senior cup goes for "winning" rugby rather than teaching skills so there's no solid foundation of basics to feed off - I'd love to see nucifora and the irfu try and do a GAA at grass roots level and upskill the schools or kids coaches so good passing is taught really early on.

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Originally posted by Pythagoras View Post
    cork's a lot handier drive for you, I'd guess.
    Not a lot but certainly a little handier

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
    A half full stadium in Limerick is 3000 or so more than a completely full to the rafters Musgrave. You talked about finances in a post recently and signing top players or at least several people have and more games in Cork means less income from ticket sales which affects the pot for signing players

That's very unfair on Schmidt. To call the style of rugby "soulless" and dull is unfair and to say he has been taking the joy out of the game is nonsense and the implications about injury .....

Schmidt hasn't dragged mindset of any of the provinces down. Don't be foolish pp
    Do you think the Irish players looked like they were enjoying themselves? I sure as hell didnt, they looked fed up and so do the players at Leinster and Munster.

Leave a comment:

• PARISHMAN1970
    replied
    Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
    I'm saying "we" were over tolerant of players, performances and attitudes which were well below the standard of Munster rugby while dissenting voices were told where to go and judging from attendances they listened. A more demanding fanbase would not have tolerated Keatley's continued selection over JJ for the previous two years.
    What a silly statement to make :_unimpressed__rvmp_

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    So how can we fix it?

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    This revisionism is getting ridiculous. Schmidt expressly stated the skills in leinster particularly from international players were not good enough so he fixed it and had leinster playing the nz simple things done well style. He does not have the access to players to do the same with the national team unfortunately but to try and say his style is conservative and kick is untrue.

What should be looked at is how we could get a cohesive skills program in all provincial teams and academies
    Hang on, how many Leinster players, with which he had extensively worked, were there in his RWC squad? I can't believe the presence in the squad of Best, POC, POM, Murray etc caused that much of a drop off relative to the couple of Leinster players Joe didn't pick. Ireland are playing dreadful conservative rugby and the negativity and fear of failure that it has engendered has helped to hobble Leinster and Munster.
    Last edited by the plastic paddy; 15th-December-2015, 12:20.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X