Thomond Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

If MR have nothing to do with it, then how are the stadium bosses, who work for MR and the IRFU confident of raising the finance?
    Perhaps they could sell the naming rights for the stadium to raise the capital required to build it? Given they’re probably the ones that own the stadium after all...

Comment

This complex has as much chance of being built as the 60 foot tall Clinton Huppert statue the Munster Branch won't let me put up outside the Shannon bar.
      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

At this stage, I would nearly let it be named the BOD arena if I could just get in to see live munster rugby again.
        "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Originally posted by Phileas Frog View Post

Perhaps they could sell the naming rights for the stadium to raise the capital required to build it? Given they’re probably the ones that own the stadium after all...
          €40 Million for the naming rights - Nah! I don't think so. This is a huge infrastructure development. Of course, we have the same naysayers on here saying that it is impossible - the same folk that said that the €10 million 'World Rugby Experience' complex would not get planning permission/be built. Well I had a good look at it the other day and it's coming on nicely and on schedule!
          There is of course the usual mis-information on here as well. Munster Rugby are not involved in this planned project (how many times must this be stated). The property/land for this project does not belong to Munster Rugby/IRFU.

What happened to the Munster Rugby mantra 'Nothing is Impossible', as already stated all Munster Rugby fans should be delighted if this project gets the go ahead it will enhance the whole 'Thomond Park' experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Soda Bread View Post

€40 Million for the naming rights - Nah! I don't think so. This is a huge infrastructure development. Of course, we have the same naysayers on here saying that it is impossible - the same folk that said that the €10 million 'World Rugby Experience' complex would not get planning permission/be built. Well I had a good look at it the other day and it's coming on nicely and on schedule!
            There is of course the usual mis-information on here as well. Munster Rugby are not involved in this planned project (how many times must this be stated). The property/land for this project does not belong to Munster Rugby/IRFU.

What happened to the Munster Rugby mantra 'Nothing is Impossible', as already stated all Munster Rugby fans should be delighted if this project gets the go ahead it will enhance the whole 'Thomond Park' experience.
            Do you not think that any plan that centres around the construction of a venue for concerts and conventions is unlikely to fly in a post-Covid world?

“Build it and they will come” is not a strategy when nobody is going anywhere.

Nothing is impossible but lots of things don’t make business sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Do you not think that any plan that centres around the construction of a venue for concerts and conventions is unlikely to fly in a post-Covid world?

“Build it and they will come” is not a strategy when nobody is going anywhere.

Nothing is impossible but lots of things don’t make business sense.
              If the project goes ahead it is planned to be finished by end end of 2023. COVID 19 will hopefully be be well gone by then with a vaccine in place by 2021.I don't believe that the whole business world will cancel all strategic plans for the next 3 years.

Comment

From the article that you've posted twice already.
                ​​​​​​
                Thomond Park Stadium has put together a series of exciting proposals which may deliver up to 300 new jobs.
                If all goes to plan, some €10.5m will come from this, with the balance coming from matched funding, which well placed sources have indicated, stadium bosses are confident of securing
                If you read the article, I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it has nothing to do with Thomond Park.

As the stadium is 100% owned by Munster and the IRFU so the bosses are IRFU employees. Therefore Munster and the IRFU HAVE to be involved despite the last paragraph. They've hardly gone on a solo run.

I'd also love to know who said a private museum (which actually has nothing to do with MR) which is being bankrolled by JP McManus wouldn't be built.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

From the article that you've posted twice already.
                  ​​​​​​

If you read the article, I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it has nothing to do with Thomond Park.

As the stadium is 100% owned by Munster and the IRFU so the bosses are IRFU employees. Therefore Munster and the IRFU HAVE to be involved despite the last paragraph. They've hardly gone on a solo run.

I'd also love to know who said a private museum (which actually has nothing to do with MR) which is being bankrolled by JP McManus wouldn't be built.
                  Dear, oh! dear! This project has nothing to do with Munster Rugby or Thomond Park 'Stadium' - Fact!
                  This multi-million development is not on any land/property owned by Munster Rugby/IRFU - Fact!
                  It is a planned development by Limerick City Council using public money and large scale private companies/investors - Fact!
                  It is in the early stages and various private briefings have been held with interested parties but things look positive - Fact!
                  Again, Munster Rugby are not involved financially in the proposed Development - Fact!

There's an old saying, " Without facts, you're just someone else with an opinion". I really don't mean to be disingenuous & I'm sorry if it comes across that way but I'm only interested in a factual discussion/debate.

Comment

So I went back and read the article. I’m not sure where these ‘facts’ are coming from but at the moment all I’m reading is that Thomond Park Stadium ‘could’ be involved in a conference centre development. I’m assuming Thomond Park Stadium is an SPC whose ultimate beneficial owner is the IRFU. A quick CRO search could fact check that. But other than that, I fail to see how much of this is anything other than speculation.

Comment

Dear, oh! dear! This project has nothing to do with Munster Rugby or Thomond Park 'Stadium' - Fact!
                      This multi-million development is not on any land/property owned by Munster Rugby/IRFU - Fact!
                      It is a planned development by Limerick City Council using public money and large scale private companies/investors - Fact!
                      It is in the early stages and various private briefings have been held with interested parties but things look positive - Fact!
                      Again, Munster Rugby are not involved financially in the proposed Development - Fact!

There's an old saying, " Without facts, you're just someone else with an opinion". I really don't mean to be disingenuous & I'm sorry if it comes across that way but I'm only interested in a factual discussion/debate.
                      Calm down Rafa.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                        So I went back and read the article. I’m not sure where these ‘facts’ are coming from but at the moment all I’m reading is that Thomond Park Stadium ‘could’ be involved in a conference centre development. I’m assuming Thomond Park Stadium is an SPC whose ultimate beneficial owner is the IRFU. A quick CRO search could fact check that. But other than that, I fail to see how much of this is anything other than speculation.

That was my reading. So either the article is wrong in what it's saying, or MR/IRFU are very much involved via the company through which they operate Thomond Park.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

If the project goes ahead it is planned to be finished by end end of 2023. COVID 19 will hopefully be be well gone by then with a vaccine in place by 2021.I don't believe that the whole business world will cancel all strategic plans for the next 3 years.
                          There is little likelihood that everything will just go back to the way it was, particularly when it comes to business travel and events. That’s why the airlines are cancelling orders for planes and retiring parts of their fleet.

Nobody in their right mind would consider investing in such a development until future travel patterns and working behaviours have become clear, which is at least 18 months away.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

There is little likelihood that everything will just go back to the way it was, particularly when it comes to business travel and events. That’s why the airlines are cancelling orders for planes and retiring parts of their fleet.

Nobody in their right mind would consider investing in such a development until future travel patterns and working behaviours have become clear, which is at least 18 months away.
                            I'd generally agree, though that doesn't rule out the possibility that EU funding would still be available to local government.

But yes - the conference and hospitality sectors aren't exactly where you'd be putting your retirement fund for the foreseeable.

On the plus side, borrowing is relatively cheap, and you're likely to be able to drive a hard bargain on the development costs given the market.

Last edited by Balla Boy; 19-July-2020, 08:03.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Hoped for a roof on the ground for 40 million like the one in NZ. Dry field, warmer and pleasant.

Got a wooly Limerick leader article and a load of propaganda from the TheomintPork keeper of the flame

Worst. clickbaitey. event. ever.
                              I am the million man.

Comment

The 'big financial boys' who would fund a development of this size (€40 million) have their own resources to do a due diligence/strategic plan to evaluate if it is a good long term investment & will give a positive return. They would be looking at a 5 - 10 year horizon for a return and a positive asset appreciation. In any financial crisis (COVID 19/Banks 2008 etc.) there are excellent long term opportunities if you have the financial resources and you don't need a short term return.

Comment

Working...
                                X