Stephen Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    If it's an emergency offer him a three-month contract. He wouldn't take it, I imagine, because he could command a longer, more secure one at teams in France or England that don't have a development policy.

You didn't have Creevy. You probably could have signed Moore if you hadn't signed other internationals in positions where there was a more pressing need. Munster already have more NIQs than Connacht for god's sake.
    Moore was to be signed for next season when Botha and Amorisino would be gone and GVDH (if still here) would be IQ.

Comment

Whose going to replace Botha? Archer?

Comment

Whimpersnap, use your brain. No big nams players signed contracts pre rwc
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
          Moore was to be signed for next season when Botha and Amorisino would be gone and GVDH (if still here) would be IQ.
          I wasn't even counting GDVH but fair point on Botha. If he doesn't keep playing.

Originally posted by sewa View Post
          Whimpersnap, use your brain. No big nams players signed contracts pre rwc
          So?

Comment

Conflicted on this because it would be really nice to actually sign a current top class, proven international player for the first time since DeVilliers (from memory). Most of the players we have brought in have been project type players or potential players from the NPC/Currie Cup. I firmly believe that if we are going to have non-Irish qualified players it should only be 2-4 of them however they should be top drawer.

In saying that, IF Sherry and Casey are fit, then I think it's just a nice signing to have and it is blocking a couple of Irish players (never mind Scannell behind Sherry and Casey) from game time. The first 3 hookers for Ireland are all 29 or over and from an Irish point of view (and I personally believe for the good of Munster rugby) we need to be producing as many hookers (and other players) as possible and giving them game time.

In short, if we could offload a few other players (Sagario, Amorosino, Van Den Heever) with a view to getting Moore in then maybe I'd agree

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
              If it's an emergency offer him a three-month contract. He wouldn't take it, I imagine, because he could command a longer, more secure one at teams in France or England that don't have a development policy.
              So what is the point of offering him a 3 month contract that you know he would need to be crazy to accept (bearing in mind he probably has a wife and a couple of kids to drag across the world)?

You didn't have Creevy. You probably could have signed Moore if you hadn't signed other internationals in positions where there was a more pressing need. Munster already have more NIQs than Connacht for god's sake.
              So what? Connacht have not lost their captain, former captain and starting openside in Ireland's cause this year, not to mention players of the calibre of Felix, Archer, Sherry & Casey to injury. That is 7 starters for Munster.
              Last edited by jeepers; 19th-November-2015, 07:22.

Comment

Originally posted by deltared View Post
                and who's the backrower we were really really after?
                That's the big question. If it was a really top class 7 on a long term contract then I'm not surprised it was blocked, fingers crossed TOD will be back in the new year and having him sitting on the bench would be no benefit to anyone.

In relation to Dom Ryan and all the negativity towards him, while he's not good enough to set anyone dancing in the streets he'd make a decent 2nd or 3rd choice #7 and his signing would make a lot more sense than Jordan Coughlan. His signing is still just baffling considering the depth we have at 6 and 8.

In relation to Moore, I understand people's frustration because he would have improved us as a team, but I for one don't think that improvement should come at the expense of local lads. IMO Casey and Sherry are far from the weakest links in the team and far from the biggest factors limiting our future hopes of success, so to turf them out for yet another foreign international would have done nothing to foster my love for the team anyway.

Comment

not a black/white issue about Moore hindering development of other hookers
                  Its a legitimate argument that a guy like Moore could help Sherry and Caseys development
                  Currently neither are on the Ireland radar, Sherry might be if he got a injury free run but sad to say there are serious doubts about his ability to do so
                  Casey has never seemed to register with Schmidt
                  To me, its more a question of the intangibles a guy like Moore, even at 32-33, would bring to Munster, that could help develop the entire team
                  Hes a proven leader, & currently one of the best in the world in his position. His signing would send a signal to fans and opponents that we are still a serious player. I think he would play a similar role to us as Paulie has done, and would help inspire the entire squad. He strikes me as the type of guy who would buy into the whole Munster ethos big time.
                  A guy like Nucifora can look at spreadsheets and determine this is not the best for the Irish team, I think he is making a huge mistake

Comment

Said before on here that Creevy would have been a MASSIVE upgrade, likewise Stephen Moore.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                      **** Ireland, this system is doing no one any favours
                      IRFU obviously don't agree since over 80% of their income comes from international rugby.
                      The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

For those arguing hindering development can they please name who was genuinely hindered by the likes of Dougie/JDV/Jim Williams and more recently CJ and BJ?
                        "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Moore , played in the World Cup final as did Kane Douglas. World class is he in the top 5 hookers in the world ? Doubt it. His has his horror days but has proved to be a good leader.
                          How recent has this decision been made? Was it made before Casey and Sherry got injured. Some on here wanted Casey in Joe's squad , is he good enough . His darts seem good.
                          Ye are thin on the ground now for hookers but maybe it's s chance for one of the young lads . Casey stepped up when given the chance maybe someone else will. In the last 5-6 years I'd say that there have been 6-7 Munster hookers capped for Ireland U 20's. Where are they now? Although I do think hookers take longer to come through compared to flankers and wingers . The case for having Moore there to teach the young lads hasn't exactly worked with Botha on the props side of things.
                          I think Fla should be able to coach hookers at this stage.
                          Big issue with long term injuries and losing Felix and Pom. Short term losss of Pom and Tod with D. Ryan and Foley really only returning. A horror run of injuries in the squad. It also looks like Archer and Sherry are finding it tough to stay fit enough to play.
                          Munster more than any other club have been hit badly with injuries.
                          Signings needed but I'd be more about the quality of players signed rather than the no of players.
                          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                            For those arguing hindering development can they please name who was genuinely hindered by the likes of Dougie/JDV/Jim Williams and more recently CJ and BJ?
                            I think Archet didn't get enough gametime when he was fit earlier in his career. When matches were well won he was only getting 10 minutes at the end. There was many s time that C.j started ahead of Tod also . It's all about the gametime . Some need it to prove they can step up. And some need it so that the management can decide if they are up to it. If not move on.
                            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                              Moore , played in the World Cup final as did Kane Douglas. World class is he in the top 5 hookers in the world ? Doubt it. His has his horror days but has proved to be a good leader.
                              How recent has this decision been made? Was it made before Casey and Sherry got injured. Some on here wanted Casey in Joe's squad , is he good enough . His darts seem good.
                              Ye are thin on the ground now for hookers but maybe it's s chance for one of the young lads . Casey stepped up when given the chance maybe someone else will. In the last 5-6 years I'd say that there have been 6-7 Munster hookers capped for Ireland U 20's. Where are they now? Although I do think hookers take longer to come through compared to flankers and wingers . The case for having Moore there to teach the young lads hasn't exactly worked with Botha on the props side of things.
                              I think Fla should be able to coach hookers at this stage.
                              Big issue with long term injuries and losing Felix and Pom. Short term losss of Pom and Tod with D. Ryan and Foley really only returning. A horror run of injuries in the squad. It also looks like Archer and Sherry are finding it tough to stay fit enough to play.
                              Munster more than any other club have been hit badly with injuries.
                              Signings needed but I'd be more about the quality of players signed rather than the no of players.
                              Cant think of 5 better Benji

Creevy
                              Guirado
                              Bismarck
                              Coles
                              Best.....?

What he can do that most of them cannot is he can pass the ball across his shoulders at full tilt, he can draw a defender and give a pass and he can run in the wide channels like a giant centre. He's a top top quality player.

EDIT what I would say though is, that we must have a few quid available to get in a big name because Creevy and Moore are not minnows in the world game
                              Last edited by Cowboy; 19th-November-2015, 10:07.
                              I am the million man.

Comment

The other aspect of NIQ is that ideally we should have at least one top class 'name' that will attract the casual fan in addition to what they bring on the pitch in terms of ability and leadership. There is a commercial aspect to it, which I think is sometimes not appreciated. A lot of my friends started coming to games when we signed Doug Howlett for example. I don't think our current slew of NIQs are comparable.

Comment

Working...
                                X