X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of term report

For ease I am going to break the season into three sections

1 - Heineken Cup
    A big disappointment after last season. It was always going to be difficult to reach the heights of last May. But what disappointed me most was the way that the players talked after Cardiff about the start of something new, going on to dominate this competition etc. There was no evidence of any of that in the performances this season. Leicester away papered over the cracks that were beginning to show. To go out of the competition to a team like the Scarlets was no disgrace - to do it in the manner we did was!

2 - Magners League
    A shambles. Pure and simple. The players and management need to start taking this competition seriously. Preparation was poor, attitude was poor, commitment was lackluster. It was treated like a side show, something that had to be tolerated . For the Heineken European Champions to be in eighth position in their domestic league is crazy. Big questions need to be answered over the approach to the league.

3 - Youth Development
    Again this has been very disappointing. Unlike last season there have been no real players who have been given the chance to stake a claim to a starting spot. The retention of past servants who are over the hill has been worrying. John O'Sullivan and Donnacha Ryan have pushed but are not that young. We are going to end up loosing alot of players close season because they know, no matter how well they play they will not get the nod if there is an established player ahead of them (regardless of form). Again this is something that needs to be addressed.

Been a very disappointing season. I hope that all involved go away and have a long hard look at themselves and come back with focus, determination, respect and belief for next season.

\'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
    Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Hasnt been great but nothing short of a double could have surpassed last season.

It was a new experience going in to every game as the team that everyone wanted to beat and we didnt cope well with it.

The reaction of the Leicester players after the Thomond game just goes to show how far the lads have come over the last few years and hopefully we'll bounce back next year with a bit more hunger.

As for player development, I think the early rounds of next years league could bear the fruits of this years labour.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcari

Hasnt been great but nothing short of a double could have surpassed last season.@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"> Disagree - I think most knowledgeable supporters were realistic about this season. Sure I would have liked a double. But a good league campaign and a Heineken SF would have been a successful season in my eyes.
      @@@@/SPAN>

It was a new experience going in to every game as the team that everyone wanted to beat and we didnt cope well with it. - @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">True, but as PO'C said at start of season - true champions are ones that keep winning. @@@@/SPAN>

The reaction of the Leicester players after the Thomond game just goes to show how far the lads have come over the last few years and hopefully we'll bounce back next year with a bit more hunger.

As for player development, I think the early rounds of next years league could bear the fruits of this years labour. - @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Not sure what you mean. I have seen very little labour go into player development this season - Wyatt, Kelly, Cullen, Sheehan, Foley instead of Earls, Ryan, Hickey etc...@@@@/SPAN>

Comment

"But a good league campaign and a Heineken SF would have been a successful season in my eyes. "

Would have been ok, but hardly "surpassing" 2006 in fairness.

@@@@SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(255,0,0)">"True, but as PO'C said at start of season - true champions are ones that keep winning."@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(255,0,0)">That wasthe disappointing aspect. Just didnt have the hunger this year.@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(255,0,0)">"@@@@SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(255,0,0)">Not sure what you mean. I have seen very little labour go into player development this season - Wyatt, Kelly, Cullen, Sheehan, Foley instead of Earls, Ryan, Hickey etc..."@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(255,0,0)">@@@@SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(255,0,0)">Wasnt perfect development, but while you're focusing on the bad, you're forgetting about the good. My point is, we'll be better equipped than most to cope with the World Cup next season.@@@@/SPAN>
        @@@@/SPAN>

Comment

Originally posted by thisyear?

1 - Heineken Cup
          A big disappointment after last season. It was always going to be difficult to reach the heights of last May. But what disappointed me most was the way that the players talked after Cardiff about the start of something new, going on to dominate this competition etc. There was no evidence of any of that in the performances this season. Leicester away papered over the cracks that were beginning to show. To go out of the competition to a team like the Scarlets was no disgrace - to do it in the manner we did was!Agreed. The hunger wasn't there. We only just about managed to winit last season and this year, with aless experiencedsquad and injuries to key players at key times (Quinny and Halstead for Tigers, POC for Scarlets) it was always gonna be difficult. We still could have done better than we did though.

2 - Magners League
          A shambles. Pure and simple. The players and management need to start taking this competition seriously. Preparation was poor, attitude was poor, commitment was lackluster. It was treated like a side show, something that had to be tolerated . For the Heineken European Champions to be in eighth position in their domestic league is crazy. Big questions need to be answered over the approach to the league. A shambles indeed BUT it's not easy to see what DK could have done. His hands were tied. He was forced to field second string sides for most of the season due to the unavailability of the international players. If you look back at the teams we put out you'll see that it was only in the last couple of games (against Ulster and Ospreys) that he didn't pick the internationalswhen they were available. Last year we had the squad depth to cope, this year with injuries etc.we didn't.

3 - Youth Development
          Again this has been very disappointing. Unlike last season there have been no real players who have been given the chance to stake a claim to a starting spot. The retention of past servants who are over the hill has been worrying. John O'Sullivan and Donnacha Ryan have pushed but are not that young. We are going to end up loosing alot of players close season because they know, no matter how well they play they will not get the nod if there is an established player ahead of them (regardless of form). Again this is something that needs to be addressed. On this point I disagree that we've had apoor season. We've seen more young/inexperienced playersget ML game time than ever before. We've had a good look at Coughlan, Mushy, Hurley, the two Ryans, McGann, TOL, Manning and Hickey. They've learned a lot and we've learned a lot about them. You can argue that some of them weren't so young but they were all pretty inexperienced. We've had a tough and disappointing season but IMO the one saving grace is that some of these lads have really come through well (the win over Ulster would have been way beyond them at the start of the season) and it will stand to us in the future.

Been a very disappointing season. I hope that all involved go away and have a long hard look at themselves and come back with focus, determination, respect and belief for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy

1 - Heineken Cup
            A big disappointment after last season. It was always going to be difficult to reach the heights of last May. But what disappointed me most was the way that the players talked after Cardiff about the start of something new, going on to dominate this competition etc. There was no evidence of any of that in the performances this season. Leicester away papered over the cracks that were beginning to show. To go out of the competition to a team like the Scarlets was no disgrace - to do it in the manner we did was!Agreed. The hunger wasn't there</font>. We only just about managed to winit last season and this year, with aless experiencedsquad and injuries to key players at key times (Quinny and Halstead for Tigers, POC for Scarlets) it was always gonna be difficult. We still could have done better than we did though. @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 0, 153);">Qualified for the knockout stages at a canter - which is definately an improvement on other years - dogged out a tough away opening pool match (How many times have they tripped us up in previous years) definately an improvement there. Gave up home record to biggest rival - big black mark.@@@@/SPAN></font>

2 - Magners League
            A shambles. Pure and simple. The players and management need to start taking this competition seriously. Preparation was poor, attitude was poor, commitment was lackluster. It was treated like a side show, something that had to be tolerated . For the Heineken European Champions to be in eighth position in their domestic league is crazy. Big questions need to be answered over the approach to the league. A shambles indeed BUT it's not easy to see what DK could have done. His hands were tied. He was forced to field second string sides for most of the season due to the unavailability of the international players. If you look back at the teams we put out you'll see that it was only in the last couple of games (against Ulster and Ospreys) that he didn't pick the internationalswhen they were available. Last year we had the squad depth to cope, this year with injuries etc.we didn't.</font>

3 - Youth Development
            Again this has been very disappointing. Unlike last season there have been no real players who have been given the chance to stake a claim to a starting spot. The retention of past servants who are over the hill has been worrying. John O'Sullivan and Donnacha Ryan have pushed but are not that young. We are going to end up loosing alot of players close season because they know, no matter how well they play they will not get the nod if there is an established player ahead of them (regardless of form). Again this is something that needs to be addressed. On this point I disagree that we've had apoor season. We've seen more young/inexperienced playersget ML game time than ever before. We've had a good look at Coughlan, Mushy, Hurley, the two Ryans, McGann, TOL, Manning and Hickey. They've learned a lot and we've learned a lot about them. You can argue that some of them weren't so young but they were all pretty inexperienced. We've had a tough and disappointing season but IMO the one saving grace is that some of these lads have really come through well (the win over Ulster would have been way beyond them at the start of the season) and it will stand to us in the future.</font>

</font></font>

Comment

I think overall it has been a dissapointing season.

Perhaps last season's massive high needed some balance?

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
                I think overall it has been a dissapointing season.

Perhaps last season's massive high needed some balance?
                Agree it was going to scale the heights of last season -but I did hope for some progress on the league front.

Remember talking with people after the final. The general consensus was that we would obviously love to win the HEC this season. But many also commented that progress would be an improved league performance.

Comment

2 - Magners League
                  The players and management need to start taking this competition seriously. Preparation was poor, attitude was poor, commitment was lackluster. It was treated like a side show, something that had to be tolerated .

In fairness, what does it say about the fans attitude to the ML if we're making out end of term reports with 4 games still remaining?

Comment

Season is in reality now over.

The only thing we need to do is finish above the Westies. Even if we do so we might qualify for nothing if HEC isn't run next season.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bandwagon

2 - Magners League
                      The players and management need to start taking this competition seriously. Preparation was poor, attitude was poor, commitment was lackluster. It was treated like a side show, something that had to be tolerated .

In fairness, what does it say about the fans attitude to the ML if we're making out end of term reports with 4 games still remaining?
                      I live in the UK and have got to as many ML games as I can. I'll hopefully make it back for the last one of the season. But the season is effectively over.

Another point - fans will react to what they see on the pitch. Whilst the core of week in, week out fans will always attend, some who have other time commitments will not be so ready to make the time/financial/emotional sacrifice to attend games if they think they are going to see more of the same.

Comment

Never built on the HEC success in terms of attracting a couple of decent players. Gambled on the same (aging) squad and giving contracts to Wyatt and renewing Cullens were big boo boo's.

Comment

We didn`t develop anything at 15,12 or 9. Key positions where we`ll need to buy in for next seson.

Comment

In my opinion last season surpassed all expectations.

Halstead was a real find,many of our senior players were at the peak of their form,and DK unearthed a few good quality players in Murphy, Dowling and O'Leary.

This season,by comparison the expectations were huge, and unsurprisinglyMunster failed to meet them.

The level of intensity seems to have dropped, but that was almost inevitable. Not as many players are on top form either, but form, as they say, is temporary.

We have had injuries to key people at key times and the replacements were not able to respond in the way they did last season.

Some of our big guns wre simply outperformed in key games, something that we are not used to seeing.

Overall it was a disappointing season, however, there were quite a few positives too.

We now seem to have developed a reasonable depth of cover in the pack. Many of the young players who have been exposed to ML rugby have responded well, even if results have not reflected that.

I genuinely think that there will be more competition for places in the Munster pack next season than I can remember in recent years.

We have also recruited some decent players for the centre and wing, I am particularly excited about Carney, but Lewis and Warwick are decent too and hopefully Earls will continue to develop.

Certainly we need to recruit another one or two to replace guys who are leaving this season, but if we can do that I think the prospects for next season are bright.

By the way, the missing players for the World Cup might suit us because we are usually missing our internationals at that time of year anyway when other clubs are not.

Comment

Agreed. Let's hope for better next season. You are talking about the mods, right?Can someone let me know how many black stars I have on my record btw?

All jest aside, tis going to be a long, hot, humour-filled summer. I can feel it in me fingers . . [I feel it in me toes, Point is all against me, and so the feeling grows . . repeat to fade.]

As an aside, it was extremely unlikely anything was going to match last season. The manner of Munster's exit was disappointing mind, albeit against a good side.

Comment

Working...
                              X