Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connacht vs Munster Preseason Game Fri 21st Aug, TP.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connacht vs Munster Preseason Game Fri 21st Aug, TP.

Didn't see a match thread for this. Anyone thinking of going?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/l...ebut-1-6909283

Word is Saili will make his debut and Sherry will make his comeback from injury

The Leader also have it that; "The likes of CJ Stander, Ian Keatley, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Jack O’Donoghue, Duncan Williams and Shane Monahan will also feature.".

If so it will be interesting to see whether Cronin gets any time at TH. Also be interesting to see where JOD plays, will he be shoehorned into 7 to account for the loss of TOD, or will he be given the chance to challenge for the 8 jersey.

Was hoping to get to it, 7's on same day? If so i might try get there as early as i can to catch the tail end of that too. Cronin at TH could certainly be a fascinating prospect, Saili debut on top of sherry's return is mouth watering
    Its life, if your not doing it wrong your not doing it right.

Comment

Connacht should have a reasonable team out

White and Marmion are available . Quinn Roux and Muldowney should be in the second row

Decent enough base to work off.
      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Redgiant View Post
        Was hoping to get to it, 7's on same day? If so i might try get there as early as i can to catch the tail end of that too. Cronin at TH could certainly be a fascinating prospect, Saili debut on top of sherry's return is mouth watering
        Sevens are on that day think if you buy a ticket for the 7's (€15) it covers you for the Connacht match as well.
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Word on street is some Irish players released to get time.

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterBakery View Post
            Word on street is some Irish players released to get time.
            The only Munster player from the National Squad that will probably get gametime will be Felix. Is there any other Munster player that might need a run?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Whac View Post
              The only Munster player from the National Squad that will probably get gametime will be Felix. Is there any other Munster player that might need a run?
              Donncha Ryan?

Comment

Originally posted by cian8 View Post
                Donncha Ryan?
                My view is that those that are going to be injury cover or have yet to get a run in the two warm up games are the guys who need the gametime with their provinces.

Comment

Nathan White will start for them.

Comment

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/21001.php

Sherry To Start For Munster

20 August 2015 13:57

Mike Sherry to return for Munster this Friday
                    Inpho

Head Coach Anthony Foley has named his side to take on Connacht in Thomond Park on Friday night with hooker Mike Sherry named to start for the first time since November 2013.

Side-lined for 21 months Sherry has undergone an extended period of rehabilitation and recovery due to an initial knee injury and recurring shoulder issues that have ruled him out until now.

It is with great relief to see Mike, a player who "did think the shoulder would be career threatening at times", involved in Munster's pre-season programme and named in Friday's squad. The Limerick-man will scrum down with Emerging Ireland returnees James Cronin and Stephen Archer in the front row.

With Axel rotating his options available to him Dave Foley is the only forward to retain his starting place this week and he is joined by academy lock Sean McCarthy in the second row.

While in the back-row Dave O'Callaghan is another returning from injury after successfully rehabbing a knee injury sustained in April. He is joined by last year's Academy Player of the Year Jack O'Donoghue and Player of the Year CJ Stander who takes over the captaincy duties for the first time.

In making the final changes to the starting XV Ian Keatley and Duncan Williams are introduced at half-back and Shane Monahan makes his first Munster appearance on the wing. Gerhard van den Heever, Matt D'Arcy, Cian Bohane and David Johnston are all as they were.

Munster supporters will be excited at the prospect of seeing new signing Francis Saili in action if sprung from the bench on Friday night. The All Black arrived at the end of July and is included in his first Munster squad.

Following on from his successful Munster debut last week 18-year-old out-half Bill Johnston is once again named in the replacements in a week that saw him receive his CAO offer of International Business in UL.

The new adidas alternate Munster Rugby kit will be worn for the first time tomorrow night in Thomond Park.

On the injury front it has been confirmed that Denis Hurley has sustained ankle ligament damage. He will continue to be assessed by the medical team but is expected to be side-lined for approximately 8 to 10 weeks.

Munster: David Johnston; Shane Monahan, Cian Bohane, Matt D'Arcy, Gerhard van den Heever; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; James Cronin, Mike Sherry, Stephen Archer; Sean McCarthy, Dave Foley; Dave O'Callaghan, Jack O'Donoghue, CJ Stander Capt.

Replacements from: Kevin O'Byrne, John Ryan, BJ Botha, Donncha O'Callaghan, Shane Buckley, Cathal Sheridan, Bill Johnston, Francis Saili, Niall Scannell, John Madigan, Jordan Coghlan, Stephen Fitzgerald.

2 For 1 Ticket Offer

Connacht v Munster (KO 7:45) will take place as part of the Limerick World Club 7s Festival at Thomond Park.

On Friday, two adults can enjoy Sevens and 15-a-side action for the price of one. Click here to avail of this great offer. Please note, you must select'2 for 1 Offer Adult Ticket' once you click through.

Comment

Sherry is back - bloody brilliant!! Congratulations to him.
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I'm going and I can't bloody wait!!!
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I like the look of our backrow, we have plenty options at 6 and 8 this season but with TOD out 7 is very worrying
                          Hip Flasks at the ready, double for a Stringer ankle tap!

Comment

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht.../#ConnachtNews

Connacht team to face Munster

20th August 2015
                            Pat Lam has named a 26-man squad to face Munster in the third and final pre-season clash before the start of the PRO12 in two weeks’ time. The Thomond Park fixture kicks off at 7:45pm on Friday night, the same day that the Connacht 7’s side, coached by Conor McPhillips, will compete in the Limerick World Club 7’s tournament.
                            Lam has made eight changes to the side that started against Castres Olympique in France last week with Ireland international Kieran Marmion named in the number nine shirt. Outhalf Jack Carty is also reintroduced to make up the half back pairing. Connacht’s top try scorer from last season Matt Healy is named on the left wing.
                            Up front, John Muldoon returns to captain the side while Ultan Dillane and Andrew Browne make up a new second row partnership. JP Cooney and Tom McCartney come into the front row to join last week’s try scorer Rodney Ah You.
                            Tighthead Nathan White, who made his debut for Ireland last weekend, is included amongst the replacements.
                            Commenting on the team selection and the upcoming game, head coach Pat Lam said:
                            “We’ve played two tough games against French opposition and nearly everyone has had time to get rid of the pre-season rustiness. Competition is fierce for places which is what we want as coaches.
                            “Along with the guys in the sevens’ setup this weekend, we see the Munster game as an excellent opportunity to test ourselves against a strong side away from home.”

Connacht 15 – 9: Darragh Leader, Tiernan O’Halloran, Rory Parata, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion

1 – 8: JP Cooney, Tom McCartney, Rodney Ah You, Ultan Dillane, Andrew Browne, John Muldoon (captain), Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoghan Masterson

Replacements: Finlay Bealham, Dave Heffernan, Nathan White, Quinn Roux, Ben Marshall, Eoin McKeon, George Naoupu, John Cooney, Craig Ronaldson, Danie Poolman, Dave McSharry

Comment

Great to see Sherry is back, great news, hope he gets back to his best quickly

Comment

Working...
                              X