Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neil Back - The Death of Rugby (Hand of Back)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neil Back - The Death of Rugby (Hand of Back)

Hi all. Not sure if this has been posted before, as I am a Tigers fan and first time poster on here, but Neil Back has just brought out an autobiography, The Death of Rugby, which includes a chapter on his 'Hand of Back' incident.

It's available to buy from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Death-Ru.../dp/1785310542

I've now read the book and it's received some positive reviews, and seems to be doing ok. Apart from his views on the 2002 Heineken Cup final, which I thought might be of interest to you, there's some incredible stuff on his time as a coach at Rugby Lions - where the club was run by a crook for a year and people weren't paid. The kind of stuff you have to read to believe to be honest.

Anyway, I'm sure he's not the most popular bloke, so forgive me for posting this, but thought it might be of interest to a few of you.

All the best for the new season - and hopefully and Ireland vs England World Cup semi-final!

Welcome BT. Will you be in Thomond in December?

Comment

I don't think Munster fans hold much ill-will towards Neil Back, it was a cute move (though not something you want to see regularly in the game), something the Irish seem to have embedded in their psyche and, in fairness, it took some stones to do it when he did. Quinny pulled a similar stroke in a final for us so we can't get too uppity
      Marty in the Morning

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTiger View Post

Anyway, I'm sure he's not the most popular bloke, so forgive me for posting this, but thought it might be of interest to a few of you.
        Imo the "hand of Back" thing has been largely a media construct - annoying at the time, but Tigers the better team on that 2002 day.

As a media example, when man-of-the-match Peter Stringer was interviewed pitchside by Sky straight after the final whistle in the 2006 final, the first question was "Does that make up for Neil Back in 2002?". Silly.
        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I would love to, but I think it's doubtful to be honest. Hoping to make the home match, not got a season ticket this year for the first time in a while, but will still be going to games. More excited by the World Cup at present, but that optimism will probably evaporate pretty quickly!

Comment

Fair enough. Thought I would put it across that way as that was my first post and I didn't want to offend anyone. In the book, to be fair to him, Backy states that whilst he got some stick/abuse for it at the time, whilst it was raw, he has always been received well by Munster fans - including the recent Heineken spoof advert (worth a look online).

The book is a great read, plenty in there for any rugby fan, and a real insight in to his psyche and what made him the player he was.

Comment

welcome aboard Blue tiger. met Back in Twickenham a few years ago and we (I) had a laugh about his 2002 "handiness". sound bloke but very intense when discussing Rugby.
              how are leicester looking this year ?

are ye going to concentrate on the Premiership before or after been knocked out of Europe ? (Joke!)

Comment

Haha! Probably the usual group stage exit for us, as these last few years we have been pretty poor in Europe. The addition of Aaron Mauger should help - with recent interviews stating that he is helping to coach the players in passing skills all over again - something they have definitely needed! It will be a battle to finish in the top 4, especially given the calibre of players who have left us over the last year or two - Parling and Salvi being a particular frustration to me.

Backy does always come across as intense, because he seems to genuinely care about the game. That comes across in the book too, just how much he has regained his love of rugby by watching matches live and on TV.

Comment

Welcome to the site BT, hang around here for a while we always like contributions from fans of other clubs especially those who we will be meeting.
                  "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                    Imo the "hand of Back" thing has been largely a media construct - annoying at the time, but Tigers the better team on that 2002 day.

As a media example, when man-of-the-match Peter Stringer was interviewed pitchside by Sky straight after the final whistle in the 2006 final, the first question was "Does that make up for Neil Back in 2002?". Silly.
                    Well it was a pretty bad injustice so we wont be singing his praises any time soon either!

The guy did what he could to win for his team and got away with it - end of story really.

The match officials (not for the first time either) should have been lynched and dragged through the streets of limerick and cork though
                    "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll pop back from time to time hopefully.

Fair points made there Bash. I think the Munster fans are very mature about the situation now, as it's in the past and you all seem to take it in good spirits, especially as Backy enjoys a bit of cheekiness when he is interviewed about it - and that's also covered in the book.

Good memories for us Tigers fans, as it doesn't look like those days will be back any time soon.

By the way, just spotted this interview with him online with BBC World, might be of interest to you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ld-cup-in-2003

Comment

They know their rugby in Welford Rd, although its been a few years since I've been over. Always struck me as a club which has maintained as many old school values as it could. Looking forward to meeting their support in Thomond Park this season.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Just finished the book myself - well worth a read. Regardless of the incident, the bloke is an England legend. Came across this video on YouTube with a few of Backy's highlights - does replay the Hand of Back but some great moments in there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4twhFfCJwg0

Comment

No problem at all with Neil but I should mention that butter wouldn't melt in Quinnie's mouth.
                            The man is an angel.
                            PAUL O'CONNELL KNOWS MY NAME, HE NEEDED IT FOR THE RESTRAINING ORDER!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Blue Tiger. I am sure it makes little difference to yourself, but it saddened me to see a great club go into private ownership. Bad for Leicester and even worse for the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X