No announcement yet.

No.13 Jersey, Munster Greats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah don't be like that OD. I rate him and he will be my vote, but for teh 12 shirt.
    Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Comment

Originally posted by Clubman
      Ah don't be like that OD. I rate him and he will be my vote, but for teh 12 shirt.

I'll be voting for him, for the 12 jersey as well. Kiernan for the 13 imo.

Comment

@@@@SPAN ="ps22"><NOBR><SUP>Three 1963 games where Walsh played at 13 for Ireland:</SUP></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="ps22"><NOBR><SUP>+</SUP>B.D.E. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">ARSHALL@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps23"><NOBR>W.R. H@@@@SPAN ="em0">UNTER@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps24"><NOBR>J.C. W@@@@SPAN ="em0">ALSH@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps25"><NOBR>P.J. C@@@@SPAN ="em0">ASEY@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps26"><NOBR>N.H. B@@@@SPAN ="em0">ROPHY@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps27"><NOBR>M.A.F. E@@@@SPAN ="em0">NGLISH@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps28"><NOBR>J.C. K@@@@SPAN ="em0">ELLY@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps29"><NOBR>S. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">ILLAR@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps30"><NOBR>A.R. D@@@@SPAN ="em0">AWSON@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps31"><NOBR>R.J. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">C@@@@/SPAN>L@@@@SPAN ="em0">OUGHLIN@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps32"><NOBR>*W.A. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">ULCAHY@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps33"><NOBR>W.J. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">C@@@@/SPAN>B@@@@SPAN ="em0">RIDE@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps34"><NOBR><SUP>+</SUP>E.P. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">C@@@@/SPAN>G@@@@SPAN ="em0">UIRE@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps35"><NOBR>C.J. D@@@@SPAN ="em0">ICK@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps36"><NOBR>M.D. K@@@@SPAN ="em0">IELY@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps37"><NOBR>L@@@@SPAN ="em0">ANSDOWNE@@@@/SPAN>R@@@@SPAN ="em0">OAD@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps38"><NOBR>@@@@SPAN ="ft3">DRAWN@@@@SPAN ="em1">0-0 @@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN ="ps39"><NOBR>I@@@@SPAN ="em0">RE@@@@/SPAN>. N@@@@SPAN ="em0">IL@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps40"><NOBR>E@@@@SPAN ="em0">NG@@@@/SPAN>. N@@@@SPAN ="em0">IL@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps41"><NOBR>9 F@@@@SPAN ="em0">EBRUARY@@@@/SPAN>1963</NOBR>@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="ps42"><NOBR>T.J. K@@@@SPAN ="em0">IERNAN@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps43"><NOBR>W.R. H@@@@SPAN ="em0">UNTER@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps44"><NOBR>J.C. W@@@@SPAN ="em0">ALSH@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps45"><NOBR>P.J. C@@@@SPAN ="em0">ASEY@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps46"><NOBR>A.J.F. O’R@@@@SPAN ="em0">EILLY@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps47"><NOBR>M.A.F. E@@@@SPAN ="em0">NGLISH@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps48"><NOBR>J.C. K@@@@SPAN ="em0">ELLY@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps49"><NOBR>S. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">ILLAR@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps50"><NOBR>A.R. D@@@@SPAN ="em0">AWSON@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps51"><NOBR>R.J. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">C@@@@/SPAN>L@@@@SPAN ="em0">OUGHLIN@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps52"><NOBR>*W.A. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">ULCAHY@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps53"><NOBR>W.J. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">C@@@@/SPAN>B@@@@SPAN ="em0">RIDE@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps54"><NOBR>E.P. M@@@@SPAN ="em0">C@@@@/SPAN>G@@@@SPAN ="em0">UIRE@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps55"><NOBR>C.J. D@@@@SPAN ="em0">ICK@@@@/SPAN></NOBR>@@@@/SPAN> @@@@SPAN ="ps56"><NOBR>M.D. K@@@@SPAN ="em
        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Has to be Jerry Walsh at 12 and Mick Kiernan at 13 .... they would have been some combination .... A Sundays Well / Dolphin centre partnership ... I know Walshalso played with UCC
          The Mike Gibson Appreciation Society

Comment

I agree Kiernan has to be considered but i think Hendo should get it. a British Liona and scorer of a try that won us the first Celtic Cup. If your talking about one hit that made Dennison made in a match Hendo made countless hits and his commimtent to the Munster cause was full. I was too youn to see Dennison but have seen that tackle many times. Was he any good apart from that. According to the Alone it Stands play he was considered to be too small going into that match.
            \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
            \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Great debate.

I have to say i backed Mullins for the spot - what a player, what a
              contribution, and to finish when he did it just seems too cruel. Missing
              the 2006 HEC final after being part of the group of players that got us
              there - he's up there with gallaimh for me.

However i do remember as a kid Kiernan on the telly and I have to
              say that for me he IS the standard you judge a centre by. The jink
              he had! bloody hell. The only player you could compare him to these
              days is BoD (was he better than BoD?) .
              Am I wrong backin Mikey???? I don't think so but Kiernan was a
              much better player - in his day - than Mikey was in his.

BUT
              D'junolike
              it's mikey for me.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Will be putting up the poll later today, so last chance for arguments / nominations
                Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by SamJo

Has to be Jerry Walsh at 12 and Mick Kiernan at 13 .... they would have been some combination .... A Sundays Well / Dolphin centre partnership ... I know Walshalso played with UCC

That's the way I'll be voting as well SamJo. Mike Mullins was a great servant to Munster Rugby (as wasJason Holland), but Michael Kiernan had the speed, pass, kick and could defend. In fairness, he had it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Point
                    Originally posted by Balla Boy

Dennison by dint of that hit alone. Kiernan in at 12.

We're talking about legends here, after all. The technicalities of player ability are secondary, imho, to the aura that surrounds them.

Dennisoncreated one of the seminal moments in Munster rugby history - a single tackle still talked about three decades later.

I think that is too populist, Balla. Jerry Walsh was supposed to have been the hardest hitter of his time. One hit doth not a legend make, except when you're trying to flog a play.

It may be, but isn't that the point of the exercise? A forensic analysis of players abilities is always going to lose out to the emotional response that they invoke I think.

It's the nature of icons, mythsand legends, isn't it?
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Very true Balla boy, some players will appear on this team precisely for those very reasons
                      Con Artist

Comment

So before I put the poll up

it's Jerry Walsh

Rob Henderson

Michael Kiernan

Mickey Mullins

Seamus Dennison

Have I forgot anyone?

Con Artist

Comment

Important to remember that in Jerry Walsh's era many teams were still playing centres as left and right rather than inside and outside centre. Flankers were also playing left and right but to a lesser degree.

Jerry Walsh was a demonic exponent of the crash tackle, probably without peer in any era before or since. He was also a very good runner and distributor of the ball and would be in the Hendo style and category of player. The teams he played for (listed above) had some serious speed in the backs - Casey, Brophy, O'Reilly and Hunter were all fliers. JW would have been and was the slowest of the entire 3/4 line but he was no slouch. His handling ability was less important with Mick English at out-half because the ball invariably was sent skyward for the backs to chase and the poor bugger who caught it usually had Walsh separating him from the ball at chest height, full speed and then a serious trampling followed.

I was at te 0-0 tie against England - as dire a match of touhline rugby as has ever been played. The following game against Scotland was nearly as bad and it was a huge surprise that Scotland won. The game in Cardiff was notable for some scintillating rugby and a superb try scored by Pat Casey who was most definitely playing outside Walsh at the time.

Paddy Reid is another who would merit serious consideration but even I don't remeber him playing - before my time I'm afraid. He had a reputation for great hands, pace, feet (kicking) and also as a very hard tackler.

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia

So before I put the poll up

it's Jerry Walsh

Rob Henderson

Michael Kiernan

Mickey Mullins

Seamus Dennison

Have I forgot anyone?

Philip Danaher is worth putting in the poll I think, he won't win but he's worth an honourable mention
                            Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                            X