Ian Keatley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
    The very best of luck to him. Hope he gets a run out in Munster for Treviso next year (they may not even have a game in Munster the way the conference thing is set up).

I'm glad he doesn't have the same agent (or ego) as Zebo or we'd be treated to six days of 42.ie articles on how he's been unfairly treated. Its a mark of the man that he's taken the situation on the chin and got on with it.
    Care to elaborate on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snrub View Post

Care to elaborate on this?
      Zebo has had a series of media appearance in the past 2 weeks which he has used to basically bemoan his exclusion from the Irish squad, as if he wasn't aware of the implications of his own choice. I like him as a player and wish he was still in red but I found that childish.

Keatley could choose this moment to bitch about various things that haven't gone his way in the past few years including is lack of gametime this year. Instead he seems to have accepted the reality of this situation, thanked the branch for the chances he was given and moved on with dignity. Whatever arrangements were made with the Not Nots have been done behind the scenes and not played out in the media. I'd prefer if more players dealt with their contractual situations and their own choices in the same way.

Comment

Zebo has had a series of media appearance in the past 2 weeks which he has used to basically bemoan his exclusion from the Irish squad, as if he wasn't aware of the implications of his own choice. I like him as a player and wish he was still in red but I found that childish.
        Do you think he was interviewed in the lead up to the 6 nations and journalists decided not to ask him about Ireland, and that he just brought it up of his own accord?

Comment

Keatley could choose this moment to bitch about various things that haven't gone his way in the past few years including is lack of gametime this year. Instead he seems to have accepted the reality of this situation, thanked the branch for the chances he was given and moved on with dignity. Whatever arrangements were made with the Not Nots have been done behind the scenes and not played out in the media. I'd prefer if more players dealt with their contractual situations and their own choices in the same way.
          I see. I can't say that I agree that there are any parallels between the two situations but interesting perspective.

It's an interesting question about Zebo and the Irish team as he's one of the best outside backs in the Top 14 and it's a question which any journalist would put to him. There aren't really any questions to be asked of Ian Keatley. "Why did you move?" "Well, it was either that or play A fixtures against lads just out of Blackrock" It's not really compelling interview material.

Comment

Like the dignity you are showing on an Internet forum registering your disgust about how a player handles his job?
            The whole world cries out peace, freedom and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie.

Comment

Folks, can we not have the thread disappear down another rabbit hole please. Ta muchly.
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

The perfectly weighted chip over the top against Stade for Simon Zebo to score. Magnifique.
                Last edited by rathbaner; 3rd-February-2019, 15:56.
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                  Folks, can we not have the thread disappear down another rabbit hole please. Ta muchly.
                  For those of us that aren't too bothered about the Green Monkeys playing the White Orcs, this is the only bit of sport we have this weekend. Let it be. And let the bloodbath of savage, cutting and personal posts continue!

Comment

Yeah, no.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Keatley was and is a class player who now gets to enjoy the last couple of years of his career travelling around, first from London and then Italy. How bad!

Comment

Really wish him well. Fantastic fella.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                          Keatley was and is a class player who now gets to enjoy the last couple of years of his career travelling around, first from London and then Italy. How bad!
                          Never met him but a class human being too by all accounts. Certainly a strong character to take the crap he took and keep coming back for more for as long as he was needed by his team.

In a couple of (hopefully very enjoyable and lucrative) years’ time when he retires he can look back at a pretty impressive body of work and experience. Best of luck to him.

Comment

Pro sport is ruthless, Keatley could have been a contender for the 10 jersey this year if that semi final wasn't such a ****fest last year for us in France, also going to South Africa and missing a gimme was the last straw. Look at Jack Carty now on the Irish panel, is he really a better player than an inform Keatley?

Comment

Originally posted by Username View Post
                              Pro sport is ruthless, Keatley could have been a contender for the 10 jersey this year if that semi final wasn't such a ****fest last year for us in France, also going to South Africa and missing a gimme was the last straw. Look at Jack Carty now on the Irish panel, is he really a better player than an inform Keatley?
                              He’s not as consistent as Carty has become of late, nor is he quite as skillful IMHO. He too was in and around the fringes of the Ireland squad in the past and there’s not a huge amount between them at their best but Keatley is not at his best now and Jack is (and may well get better).

No shame in not quite making it at international level. As you say, it’s a ruthless environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

He’s not as consistent as Carty has become of late, nor is he quite as skillful IMHO. He too was in and around the fringes of the Ireland squad in the past and there’s not a huge amount between them at their best but Keatley is not at his best now and Jack is (and may well get better).

No shame in not quite making it at international level. As you say, it’s a ruthless environment.
                                No shame indeed- but it must be galling to be that close and see the chance slip away. I hope he has a fantastic last few years, rather than feeling what might have been.

Comment

Working...
                                X