• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayern
    started a topic James Cronin moving to Tighthead

James Cronin moving to Tighthead

It's been rumoured for awhile but the indo had this today:

Meanwhile, the Irish Independent has learned that Munster's James Cronin is expected to switch from loosehead prop to tighthead before the start of next season

• ustix
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardP View Post
    Both are important and when married to strength you get effective propping.
    Out with it RichardP, let's be having more of what you know.

Leave a comment:

• RichardP
    replied
    Originally posted by ustix View Post
    Would it be craft or technique that counts at the coalface?
    Both are important and when married to strength you get effective propping.

Leave a comment:

• RichardP
    replied
    Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
    As it happens, I reckon Bull would have loved scrummaging at the moment. When you look back at the clips, he was a lot better than we remember, but his one vulnerability was big-hit charge-engage looseheads. In the current engage, that wouldn't have happened. And when the Bull crunched that shoulder down and in so that he was effectively touching his nose with his elbow, that was it for that scrum because you weren't going to shift that side with a JCB, and would happen all the time now.

Ah, the happy memories of that shoulder-roll.
    Well said Thomond. I think even Mushy would have benefited from the current law and its application props like Paul James used get away with murder against them, largely because of improper refereeing but also because the 'hit and twist' was impossible for them to cope with. Now Paul James and others like him get penalized regularly for what used be considered their greatest asset as props

Leave a comment:

• Colliniho
    replied
    It's been reported on munsterfans. The indo have taken their stories from more spurious sources. Rumour been flying around for a whole but he hasn't had a second of game time in the 3 jersey

Leave a comment:

• blackwarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by Bayern View Post
    It's been rumoured for awhile but the indo had this today:

.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Other than the Indo story, is this Cronin switch reported anywhere else?

Leave a comment:

• déiseman
    replied
    Originally posted by Benji View Post
    Yes, His done his best and filled a hole but cant help but think that he wasnt used correctly by Foley. If your going to play him 12 he needs to use his size. That wasn't always the case this year. But he didnt exactly use Downey either enough on the crash.

Cant have been easy for Keatley or J.J playing at 10 with a very inexperienced 12 outside him.
    I'd say the main issue was the lack of balance in midfield due to selection. In fairness to Smith he had a good solid season, but Hurley's strengths (taking the ball to the line, getting his hands free and off loading) didn't seem to click with Smith who was rarely in position to take the off load and even if he did he didn't really have the pace to get through gaps. For the few games we saw Hurley and Earls together they looked out standing together, Earls made umpteen line breaks and Hurley was at the start of nearly all of them. Now the oppisiton in those games wasn't stellar but despite how good they looked Axel reverted to conservatism and never even tried Hurley/Earls in a big game. You could say he was trying to get all his best players on the pitch, but given how good ROM was I honestly think Hurley and Earls was by far our best attacking combination and the assumption that they would have been weaker defensively was just that, an assumption, because we never got to see them against better opposition.

In regard to Hurley not being able to take pressure off the 10, his lack of kicking game is a draw back alright, but given that Murray does almost all our kicking for field position I wouldn't say that's such a big deal. Even without Murray, to my memory Keatley didn't actually kick the ball that many times in the final, but a high % of them were so woeful that at least two led directly to tries, I won't blame Hurley for that.

Leave a comment:

• Benji
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Denis Hurley's transformation into a handy enough 12 goes a long way to proving the value of trying things out.
    Yes, His done his best and filled a hole but cant help but think that he wasnt used correctly by Foley. If your going to play him 12 he needs to use his size. That wasn't always the case this year. But he didnt exactly use Downey either enough on the crash.

Cant have been easy for Keatley or J.J playing at 10 with a very inexperienced 12 outside him.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Benji View Post
    Always worth a try.
    Denis Hurley's transformation into a handy enough 12 goes a long way to proving the value of trying things out.

Leave a comment:

• Benji
    replied
    Always worth a try.

Leave a comment:

• diarm
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich123 View Post
    Smacks of desperation to me.
    Smacks of common sense to me. If I was a Loosehead prop with serious ambitions of playing for my country and had a 25, a 26 and a 27 year old ahead of me in the pecking order, I'd be seriously looking at the weak Tighthead position as an opportunity to make my mark.

As for concerns about Cronins size and bulk, he's a centimetre taller and 2 kg lighter than Adam Jones who didn't have too bad a career at TH. There are good props and bad props of all shapes and sizes and it all comes down to whether or not he can develop the techniques and guile to be a good TH.

If he can, it'll be to the great benefit of both Munster and Ireland for much of the next decade.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
    My copy of Topo Rodriguez' great work is worn to bits.

More to the point, when I did prop I was so light it was a question of learn technique or die.
    Would it be craft or technique that counts at the coalface?

Leave a comment:

• Miguel Sanchez
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit
    Not anywhere near a scrum though!
    Uncomfortably near it at times.

Leave a comment:

• Keyop
    replied
    You are correct Point. He played Higher. Senior 1sts.

Leave a comment:

• Thomond78
    replied
    Originally posted by ustix View Post
    Is it true T78 that you've your own scrummaging machine out the back at home?
    My copy of Topo Rodriguez' great work is worn to bits.

More to the point, when I did prop I was so light it was a question of learn technique or die.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X