• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kermit
    Not anywhere near a scrum though!
    Uncomfortably near it at times.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
      My copy of Topo Rodriguez' great work is worn to bits.

More to the point, when I did prop I was so light it was a question of learn technique or die.
      Would it be craft or technique that counts at the coalface?
      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich123 View Post
        Smacks of desperation to me.
        Smacks of common sense to me. If I was a Loosehead prop with serious ambitions of playing for my country and had a 25, a 26 and a 27 year old ahead of me in the pecking order, I'd be seriously looking at the weak Tighthead position as an opportunity to make my mark.

As for concerns about Cronins size and bulk, he's a centimetre taller and 2 kg lighter than Adam Jones who didn't have too bad a career at TH. There are good props and bad props of all shapes and sizes and it all comes down to whether or not he can develop the techniques and guile to be a good TH.

If he can, it'll be to the great benefit of both Munster and Ireland for much of the next decade.

Comment

Always worth a try.
          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
            Always worth a try.
            Denis Hurley's transformation into a handy enough 12 goes a long way to proving the value of trying things out.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
              Denis Hurley's transformation into a handy enough 12 goes a long way to proving the value of trying things out.
              Yes, His done his best and filled a hole but cant help but think that he wasnt used correctly by Foley. If your going to play him 12 he needs to use his size. That wasn't always the case this year. But he didnt exactly use Downey either enough on the crash.

Cant have been easy for Keatley or J.J playing at 10 with a very inexperienced 12 outside him.
              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                Yes, His done his best and filled a hole but cant help but think that he wasnt used correctly by Foley. If your going to play him 12 he needs to use his size. That wasn't always the case this year. But he didnt exactly use Downey either enough on the crash.

Cant have been easy for Keatley or J.J playing at 10 with a very inexperienced 12 outside him.
                I'd say the main issue was the lack of balance in midfield due to selection. In fairness to Smith he had a good solid season, but Hurley's strengths (taking the ball to the line, getting his hands free and off loading) didn't seem to click with Smith who was rarely in position to take the off load and even if he did he didn't really have the pace to get through gaps. For the few games we saw Hurley and Earls together they looked out standing together, Earls made umpteen line breaks and Hurley was at the start of nearly all of them. Now the oppisiton in those games wasn't stellar but despite how good they looked Axel reverted to conservatism and never even tried Hurley/Earls in a big game. You could say he was trying to get all his best players on the pitch, but given how good ROM was I honestly think Hurley and Earls was by far our best attacking combination and the assumption that they would have been weaker defensively was just that, an assumption, because we never got to see them against better opposition.

In regard to Hurley not being able to take pressure off the 10, his lack of kicking game is a draw back alright, but given that Murray does almost all our kicking for field position I wouldn't say that's such a big deal. Even without Murray, to my memory Keatley didn't actually kick the ball that many times in the final, but a high % of them were so woeful that at least two led directly to tries, I won't blame Hurley for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayern View Post
                  It's been rumoured for awhile but the indo had this today:

.[/FONT][/COLOR]
                  Other than the Indo story, is this Cronin switch reported anywhere else?
                  "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                  Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

It's been reported on munsterfans. The indo have taken their stories from more spurious sources. Rumour been flying around for a whole but he hasn't had a second of game time in the 3 jersey
                    \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                      As it happens, I reckon Bull would have loved scrummaging at the moment. When you look back at the clips, he was a lot better than we remember, but his one vulnerability was big-hit charge-engage looseheads. In the current engage, that wouldn't have happened. And when the Bull crunched that shoulder down and in so that he was effectively touching his nose with his elbow, that was it for that scrum because you weren't going to shift that side with a JCB, and would happen all the time now.

Ah, the happy memories of that shoulder-roll.
                      Well said Thomond. I think even Mushy would have benefited from the current law and its application props like Paul James used get away with murder against them, largely because of improper refereeing but also because the 'hit and twist' was impossible for them to cope with. Now Paul James and others like him get penalized regularly for what used be considered their greatest asset as props

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                        Would it be craft or technique that counts at the coalface?
                        Both are important and when married to strength you get effective propping.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
                          Both are important and when married to strength you get effective propping.
                          Out with it RichardP, let's be having more of what you know.
                          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                          X