the rest of the season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the rest of the season

appar the rest of the season will see a mix of players playing. the players whose contracts are up end of season are been given a chance to impress. i pressume this is buckley, mossy, manning, hoggy? etc. so expect more of the types of team that played V the ospreys.

wally is out for the next3 weeks, he played in HC with the back injury, it was obvious he was not 100%.

the front liners will be left at home for the tour in argentina. although some of them are heading out there for their summer holls and to support the team!!! a big pre season ahead of them.

should be intersting to see who gets new contracts with munster, buckley from what i had heard was odds on to be left go, but he has put in a some good performances so he may now get a new contract

He defo should get a contract. Shows what a bit of faith and decent game time can do in terms of the younger, less experienced players...

Comment

Some-one found a welsh viewpoint on the rest of Munster's season - just wondered what you guys thought of this....

Munster's contempt for the Celtic competition was summed up by naming Paul O'Connell captain for the season six weeks into the Magners campaign.

Now they are out of the Heineken, one would have expected them to pick their big guns for the league. But cider company Magners must wonder why they bother to sponsor the competition when an outfit of Munster's standing don't appear to care a hoot where they finish in the table.

As long as they've got one Irish and one Scottish team below them, that is, for European qualification purposes.

It will be interesting to see how the disinterested approach next year's league now the Heineken Cup is defunct following the boycotting of the English and French clubs.

If it's in the same disgraceful manner as this season, I'd suggest that they be kicked out for bringing the Magners into disrepute.

Link: http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0500r...0200news/tm_he adline=ospreys-looking-to-raise-energy-levels-after-fizz-go es-out-of-magners-clash---%26method=full%26objectid=188786 28%26siteid=50082-name_page.html

Comment

There is a lot of sense in that piece, there is no excuse for them not playing their strongest XV now.

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder
          There is a lot of sense in that piece, there is no excuse for them not playing their strongest XV now.

But they've nothing to play for at present, so why not blood the young guns?

Comment

Why bother when it only takes a couple of hitchhikers and their kids to beat your lot?

Lets be honest though.... not one Munster fans was happy at the first Magners League result of this season, when we lost to Cardiff away, admittedly with most of the team in Camp Eddie... but I had a feeling that was the way the Magners League was going to go... Full teams when possible for the future methinks.... me hopes!!

Edit: next year obviously... the rest of this seasons games will be for giving experience to the unexperienced....
            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

I don't see the point in playing our frontliners every week from here on. The League is over for us, we should be using this time to build more strenght in depth and give certain players a rest.
              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake
                Why bother when it only takes a couple of hitchhikers and their kids to beat your lot?

Lets be honest though.... not one Munster fans was happy at the first Magners League result of this season, when we lost to Cardiff away, admittedly with most of the team in Camp Eddie... but I had a feeling that was the way the Magners League was going to go... Full teams when possible for the future methinks.... me hopes!!

Edit: next year obviously... the rest of this seasons games will be for giving experience to the unexperienced....

No arguments there i'm afraid.

All this talk of Munster's season being over even with 4 games to play sums up exactly why we need Play Offs for the top four.

Comment

Munster selection is for the benefit of Munster not everyone else. If it's our benefit to select first choice then we should do it. Thing is who is actually missing who should be there and is fit enough to play? Hayes needs a rest as does Leamy, Wally is now injured, ROG has been carrying knocks this season, POC is out injured, MOD isn't 100% fit, Payne is injuried, Kelly and Hoggie been injured on and off. Add in camp carney and that doesn't leave many games where full first team were available.

So basically what people are saying is we should select unavailable or injured players just to keep the opposition fans happy? Or maybe whena player comes back from internationals carrying knocks and rund down we should select them anyway and permanently injure them just to keep the opposition fans happy? Or maybe they should just f**k off and mind their own business. I've never commented on who the opposition do or don't select because it's not up to me, same goes for their fans commenting on our side.

Comment

Declan Kidney can only select from the pool of players available. i.e. those in the squad not ruled out by injury or the dictat of the International Coach Eddie O Sullivan.

At the start of the 2005/06 season Munster Rugby were asked what the situation was in relation to the availability of centrally contracted Inetrnational players for Celtic League games. The response was that the availability of those players was solely a matter for their employers the IRFU.

Comment

What would we gain from giving John Hayes more gametime this year? We'd ensure he's tired out for the RWC, and ensure that Buckley or Ryan wouldn't get valuable experience. For all the smart comments, Buckley didn't look out of his depth against Ulster's Internationals or the Ospreys.

Same with Ryan, he's been very good in his last few games, are we really supposed to play O'Connell just to please the opposition? Every time Ryan plays well it makes it easier to stop signing guys like Wyatt or Bowman.

The 2 players I would question are Sheehan and O'Leary, Flannery does need gametime and imo, O'Leary is still light years away from being a HEC quality scrumhalf.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer

Munster selection is for the benefit of Munster not everyone else. If it's our benefit to select first choice then we should do it. Thing is who is actually missing who should be there and is fit enough to play? Hayes needs a rest as does Leamy, Wally is now injured, ROG has been carrying knocks this season, POC is out injured, MOD isn't 100% fit, Payne is injuried, Kelly and Hoggie been injured on and off. Add in camp carney and that doesn't leave many games where full first team were available.

So basically what people are saying is we should select unavailable or injured players just to keep the opposition fans happy? Or maybe whena player comes back from internationals carrying knocks and rund down we should select them anyway and permanently injure them just to keep the opposition fans happy? Or maybe they should just f**k off and mind their own business. I've never commented on who the opposition do or don't select because it's not up to me, same goes for their fans commenting on our side.

No, we need to do it so they gel, a big part of the loss against Llanelli was that the majority of the team had been at six nations camp etc. this was also the case for the scarlets but they were able to gel back together again quite easily, why? Because that same first choice team had been playing together all season in the HEC, EDF and ML and because of this the internationals slotted back in seamlessly.

THis is a lesson MUnster need to learn, i'm all for experimenting with players, giving guys a run, blooding young players or giving the likes of Manning and/or TOL a chance with a first choice pack but we also need to keep continunity and get the team working as a unitas all the great Munster teams have.

Comment

Originally posted by HandsomeMacCool
                          Originally posted by Evil Omer

Munster selection is for the benefit of Munster not everyone
                          else. If it's our benefit to select first choice then we should
                          do it. Thing is who is actually missing who should be there and
                          is fit enough to play? Hayes needs a rest as does Leamy, Wally is
                          now injured, ROG has been carrying knocks this season, POC is out
                          injured, MOD isn't 100% fit, Payne is injuried, Kelly and Hoggie been
                          injured on and off. Add in camp carney and that doesn't leave
                          many games where full first team were available.

So basically what people are saying is we should select unavailable or injured players just to keep the opposition fans happy?
                          Or maybe whena player comes back from internationals carrying
                          knocks and rund down we should select them anyway and permanently
                          injure them just to keep the opposition fans happy? Or maybe they
                          should just f**k off and mind their own business. I've never
                          commented on who the opposition do or don't select because it's not up
                          to me, same goes for their fans commenting on our side.

No, we need to do it so they gel, a big part of the loss against
                          Llanelli was that the majority of the team had been at six nations camp
                          etc. this was also the case for the scarlets but they were able to gel
                          back together again quite easily, why? Because that same first choice
                          team had been playing together all season in the HEC, EDF and ML and
                          because of this the internationals slotted back in seamlessly.

THis is a lesson MUnster need to learn, i'm all for experimenting
                          with players, giving guys a run, blooding young players or giving the
                          likes of Manning and/or TOL a chance with a first choice pack but we
                          also need to keep continunity and get the team working as a
                          unitas all the great Munster teams have.

Well put. There is no doubt that Munster got it wrong this season
                          regarding the balance between experimenting & giving the full team
                          a run out. It was either the full XV with INTLs or a 2nd string team.
                          As you say instead of giving young players a chance to play with the
                          1st team, they ended up playing with a much weaker 2nd string against
                          top level opposition - of course they struggled.. how many times has
                          Manning played with Stringer or O'leary with O'Gara this season?
                          Obviously DK's hands were tied a lot of the time. I think the IRFU
                          would need to look at the system after the WC. Would they be better off
                          putting in a N° of games cap & then leave the provincial coaches
                          manage it. It may be better than imposing blanket bans on certain
                          weekends.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dipstick

But they've nothing to play for at present, so why not blood the young guns?

This is the same attitude that Man Utd have against the FA and Carling cups. Are we turning into the Man Utd of Rugby, where we expect the fans to pack the grounds for the ML, while we watch a Munster seconds team to get beaten in every second match. I for one find it hard to explain to my young fella, after driving 80 miles to either Musgrave or Thomond, why he cant see Rog, Strings and other of the big names. And then face the long spin home again after losing. Friendly matches are for trying out new players, not the ML. If I remember this season, we had only 2 friendlies before the first HC match, and they were played without our Internationals.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                              The 2 players I would question are Sheehan and O'Leary, Flannery does need gametime and imo, O'Leary is still light years away from being a HEC quality scrumhalf.

I'd question Sheehan, Wyatt and Pucciarello. Pucciarello is holding back the Irish props IMO. Sheehan is gone past it or not trying.

I don't rateTO'L much (inconsistancy, mistakesand wrong option taking) but at least he tries.

Horgan has been a good servant but hasn't the class and Cullen is not half the player he once was because of all his injuries.

Kidney should give youth a chance. Look at Buckley,D Ryan, Hurley, T Ryan, John O'Sullivanthis season. The old players are holding them back.

Comment

Working...
                              X