Non-Irish Munster fans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Irish Munster fans

Over the years I noticed a few non-Irish Munster supporters, be it at a game, on this forum or elsewhere. So I wonder what is your story? how did you become a Munster fan?

Being one of them I will start with my own story:
    When I started to get into rugby (c. 2000/01) it was mostly about watching my dad support France during the 6 Nations. It was a complicated game I never had the chance to play (back and knees issues). I don't really know if it was because I already had a thing for Ireland of just to annoy him but I started to support Ireland (to this day I still get my fair amount of "Why would you go and support Ireland while you're French??").

Later on in 2007/08 I had the opportunity to study one year abroad and ended up in Cork. Enter the pashun.
    I had already grown into a solid rugby fan, loyal to Ireland and starting to follow Munster mostly because ROG was playing there. When I landed in Cork for the first time I had not even heard of Musgrave or Thomond. It was mostly Ireland for me. I was really surprised when a few people told me supporting Munster was bigger than supporting Ireland for them. I had no clue!
    Then I think it's the people than won me over. I could not exactly explain what it is, but there's something happening in Munster. Natural kindness of people or something like that. I instantly felt at home in Cork. Supporting Munster came naturally; easy for me as I was not already supporting any particular club.

A few major steps followed:
    - first Munster game attended: the Toulon away game in 2011
    - first associate membership: 2010/11
    - first game in Thomond: Connacht game in 2011 in a deserted TP but I recall Zebo scoring a lovely try and thinking 'this one looks the real deal'
    - first HEC game in Thomond: Northampton in 2011 and that ROG drop goal
    - first HEC semi-final: Clermont in Montpellier with my brother (who supports Clermont) and the last game for ROG (oh the tears!)
    - first full membership: 2013/14
    I am still waiting for my first European final so bring it on!!

Now I understand why supporting Munster is that big, the community, the travelling, being there for one another, respecting the one who just defeated you, always feeling at home there... so I guess that's also a thank you for letting me in the family!
    Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Aren't Non-Irish Munster fans called Lunsters??
    "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
      Aren't Non-Irish Munster fans called Lunsters??
      Eh, not sure if serious .... but no. that'd be leinster based munster supporters.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

No CA not a bit serious!
        "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Met a bollix of an Irishman at University as well as a Limerick girl who I couldn't get away from.
          End of story.
          The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
          Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
            Eh, not sure if serious .... but no. that'd be leinster based munster supporters.
            I think the French Munster fans are known as Funsters

(gets coat)
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

(gets coat)
              How an innocent question can turn nasty

Comment

re. Lunsters

and Munster fans from Connacht are called...
                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Supporter

By having a membership card . I would call ephileth a Munster Supporter the same as any other member

Comment

Originally posted by leeview View Post
                    By having a membership card . I would call ephileth a Munster Supporter the same as any other member
                    That is how i feel. Im in Cork now 4yrs and renewed my ST for the 3rd yr running (I first had to become a member).

Comment

Brilliant initiative ephileth, and to be honest I was confident you were an exile !
                      So it's my turn to introduce myself.

As you probably know I live in Brittany. The Celtic part of France but not really a trad rugby land (soccer and cylclism are still popular here). My local club is still in the french 3rd level (few season ago we won v Montauban at Sapiac Stadium, next year Dax rejoin us at this level, sorry for that JN-Allezdax-com).

As far as I remember I watch on tv 5 Nations with my dad and felt in love with this game but may be most of all the different culture. It made me curious to the others. As each rugby fan I watch matchs on tellie and better at the stadiums. I really love the atmosphere and meeting other fans. Usually I watched mostly International Games and as ephileth I was friendly fan of Irish team (I try to go to Paris to see them each two years, and will be in Cardiff next september and october).
                      But when I saw HEC finals 2006 & 2008, the fans and O'Connell St crowd on the screens, I tell to myself that's where I would love to be !

Few years ago, each year some friends and me spent a week end abroad for a rugby game (Murrayfield for RWC etc..). 2010 it was my turn to chose the destination and I did not hesitate. Limerick for Munster v Leinster Magners League seemed to be perfect for an easter weekend. It was (except the result). I discover what means Good Friday too ! I fell in love.
                      Just back in France I waited HEC result v northampton, unfortunely I had no ticket to San Sebastian but I bring ticket to final... but it was not our turn !

That's why since 3 yrs I'm very proud to receive my membership card, I can't miss a Munster Rugby game there in France and I try to fly to 2/3 games per year. To be honest I am not yet gone in Musgrave but I have to.

Some other steps followed:
                      - first Munster game attended : Leinster hom game in good friday 2010
                      - first associate membership : 2011/12
                      - first HEC game in France : Castres oct 2011, in Toulouse an other RO'G late drop goal
                      - first away Pro 12 game : Connacht march 2012
                      - first friendly game : La Rochelle august 2012
                      - first HEC semi-final : Clermont in Montpellier apr 2013
                      - first HEC home game : Gloucester oct 2013
                      - first HEC QF : Toulouse apr 2014
                      - first away HEC game abroad : sarries jan 2015, bull****
                      I have to add, last season I had to bought tickets as soon as Cardiff was sorted ERC finals host venues, this place heard to many things. That's also why Marseilles trip was a blow.

Munster Rugby is not just a great rugby team, it's a also and may be above all a communauty. I met proud and respectful fans, charming and generous people. Each time it's a lot of fun, so proud to be a part of this.
                      I had shared a part of this experience to some french friends of mine, there in France (v Perpignan, Clermont etc...) or in Ireland. They were all very impressed and they want to go back !

Nowadays I hope two things.
                      I hope to see one day Munster Rugby here in Brittany v my local club, as few years ago when La Rochelle hosted pre season friendly game. Could it be a better 1st step to a local MRSC branch ?!
                      And most of all, as ephileth I am still waiting for my first European final and I'm confident our day will come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

(gets coat)
                        I shudder to think what that makes those of us living in Canada - ��

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
                          I shudder to think what that makes those of us living in Canada - ��
                          Cannucks?

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                            re. Lunsters

and Munster fans from Connacht are called...
                            Desperate?

Comment

Is there a banner in this? "Munster By Choice But Not Irish - by the Grace of God"
                              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Working...
                              X