Diarmuid McCarthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
    I can't see him breaking through at munster at 25 with the options available next season.
    Maybe Leinster could use a good Munster centre though, not to mention C......
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

No. Munster must keep this guy. It was my first time seeing him. I went to have a look at Tyler but McCarthy stood out (along with JOD).
      I agree with the comments about his physique. He is in excellent shape. More importantly, he added a presence on the wing, seemed full of confidence and was continually shouting instructions. His two tries were very well taken and as someone posted above, neither were straightforward. But he backed himself to go for the line and score--and he did. He plays centre too.
      Sign him quick
      Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

What height is he? He looks a similar size to conway from the pic's but hard to tell. Micko said in the examiner that he was hopeful of getting him a munster contract for next season. Great story.

Comment

Originally posted by Dearg Doom View Post
          According to the Indo Micko said: O'Driscoll said he hoped to see the former schools star signed up to a senior deal next season.

"We're hopeful of getting something for him," he said of McCarthy. "He certainly did himself no harm today. When he came on he did very well, carried well and scored two good tries."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/bleyendaal-comeback-a-boost-for-reds-31183922.html

PS Wian is playing in Lyon now

Would love to see this guy get a development contract at the least. Having a look at our three quarter options (and backs in general) for next season shows a very top heavy distribution of players for the wing:
          Fullbacks: Felix Jones, Johne Murphy, (Simon Zebo), Sweetnam

Wings: Zebo, Earls (wing or centre), GVDH, Conway, ROM, Luke O'Dea, Sweetnam, MacCarthy (TBC), Alex Whooton (academy), Stephen Fitzgerald (academy), Greg O'Shea (academy)

Centres: Saili, Earls (wing or centre), Hurley, Smith (if retained as NIQ player), Bleyandaal (centre or out half) Dineen, Bohane, David Johnston (academy), Dan Goggins (academy), Lyons (centre or outhalf)

Out half: Keatley, Bleyandaal (outhalf or centre), Holland, Scannel, [G. Lyons (academy centre or outhalf), David Johnston (academy centre or outhalf)]

Scrum Half: Murray, Tomas O'Leary, Cronin, Williams, Academy-j.glynn, r.foley, j.cullen

Having seen the 7's in TP I would love to see a player like Luke O'Dea, ROM or McCarthy looked at as a potential 13. O'Dea in particular is a serious talent (injury permitting). He has pace, foot work and defence and from what I've seen at 7's and in the 15 man code for Munster or for Shannon he has good hands. Hurley managed the transition from 15 to 12 for obvious reasons. I fear we have a bottle neck in the wing position and would hate to see us losing anymore home grown talent (especially those who bring speed and try scoring capability) or risk hindering the progress/development of guys like Conway, GVDH, O'Dea, ROM. I did think that Earls did the business at 13 and would do long term if given a sustained run there. I agree he is international class on the wing but I think GVDH and Conway are not far off that level either.
          "The only person that I have met, that I have ever been in awe of, is Eddie Vedder." -
          Pete Sampras

Comment

A game video highlights now available https://youtu.be/3MN8YARjyl4
            www.WestTerraceView.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
              No. Munster must keep this guy. It was my first time seeing him. I went to have a look at Tyler but McCarthy stood out (along with JOD).
              I agree with the comments about his physique. He is in excellent shape. More importantly, he added a presence on the wing, seemed full of confidence and was continually shouting instructions. His two tries were very well taken and as someone posted above, neither were straightforward. But he backed himself to go for the line and score--and he did. He plays centre too.
              Sign him quick
              Your's would be a judgement I would readily trust Forward.

Comment

He took his tries well.

Some good tries scored overall. JOD stood out from the highlights.

Comment

First clip doesn't look good for DOC2. Looks like another knee injury.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                    He took his tries well.

Some good tries scored overall. JOD stood out from the highlights.
                    JOD's a mile above A level already, breaking tackles and getting over the gain line with 5 or 6 carries even in those few minutes of highlights. What a break and pass from Madigan there too! Some right good young lads amongst that group.

Comment

Originally posted by déiseman View Post
                      JOD's a mile above A level already, breaking tackles and getting over the gain line with 5 or 6 carries even in those few minutes of highlights. What a break and pass from Madigan there too! Some right good young lads amongst that group.

JOD isn't only fast but he has terrific balance and agility. Not a bad combination to have!

Great to see Madigan's run also. He is a big man but showed he can move a bit also.

Comment

Tyler fixed and fed for the first try, held the defence.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                          Your's would be a judgement I would readily trust Forward.
                          Better not--on the highlight reel McCarthy took the ball on the 10m line and only had two Ulster guys to beat. I had him beating twice that many defenders!!
                          Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Young Diarmuid in action ...

Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                              It doesn't in fairness. One potential odd exeption hardly merits any change

It's pretty obvious looking at his physique he's been training like a professional athlete for quite a while.
                              I think he's quite lucky physically as I know for a fact he hasn't been training seriously for that long at all. 9 months or so.
                              \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                              Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by John123 View Post
                                I think he's quite lucky physically as I know for a fact he hasn't been training seriously for that long at all. 9 months or so.
                                Can you imagine what he will be like in another 4 months. World Cup bolter.

Comment

Working...
                                X