Tut tut tut.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tut tut tut.

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer...ry.aspx-qqqg=i reland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=29871-qqqx=1.asp

@@@@SPAN ="articleline">Munster players let fans down — with performance after their Cup defeat@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="articlesummary">AFTER the bitterly disappointing defeat by Llanelli last weekend, I was surprised by the behaviour of some Munster players as they prepared to leave the stadium afterwards. @@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="article">Several long-standing Munster supporters decided to stay in the ground, for up to two hours in the cold, to cheer the team as they walked to the refreshment marquee before departing in the team bus. This crowd consisted of older people, parents with young children, teenagers and young lads in their twenties. @@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="article">While many of the players acknowledged the small crowd, stood for photographs and signed autographs, several walked past ignoring the supporters who were calling them by name and wishing them well. I also witnessed one player refusing to autograph a young lad’s programme as he went to board the bus.

As the bus prepared to leave, to the cheers of the supporters, not one of its occupants waved or smiled in acknowledgement.

God knows how upset they were after such a crushing defeat, but the fans were not immune to the disappointment either. We waited behind to show our team solidarity in defeat, and now I wonder what they would feel if we turned our backs on them on such occasions.

However, I do not think that this fact crossed the minds of the squad and their entourage as they departed Stradey Park at 11:30pm.

Sarah Willson,
    Tregarron,
    Langham Road,
    Teddington,
    Middlesex, TW11.@@@@/SPAN>
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

I thought you were on about this [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

http://www.magnersleague.com/34_1897...SSID=90cdc80a9 afbdb70777b8e50c8ba196e

Comment

Originally posted by Point

http://www.magnersleague.com/34_1897.php?PHPSESSID=90cdc80a9 afbdb70777b8e50c8ba196e

Any team that bests Munster in TP is a good team - I had no expectations of winning in Glasgow.

Furthermore, Leinster have managed to win a grand total of 2 away games this season - in Agen and Galway. So an awaywin would have shocked (and delighted) me!

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Why am I not surprised that it was you who posted this, OD?[img]smileys/rolleyes.gif[/img]
        Time And Relative Dimensions In Space

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

http://www.magnersleague.com/34_1897.php?PHPSESSID=90cdc80a9 afbdb70777b8e50c8ba196e

Any team that bests Munster in TP is a good team - I had no expectations of winning in Glasgow.

Furthermore, Leinster have managed to win a grand total of 2 away games this season - in Agen and Galway. So an awaywin would have shocked (and delighted) me!

Very weak [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Very weak [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

That we are, sadly. 4 visits to Scotland this season and only a couple of losing BPs to show for it.

Comment

That losing BP might just swing it for ye...

Comment

Ironically, only if ye save us again by beating the Ospreys!

Comment

That's not f**king good enough,

Comment

Just as well Hoggie's back, eh ? [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Just as well Hoggie's back, eh ? [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Back to the original posting.........

I wouldn't normally try to talk to players after such a dreadful defeat but needed to see a couple of them and they were as gracious as ever.

Several players acknowledged my presence without speaking, but to a man they all looked completely dejected. It will have been a long, long journey home.....a bit of a walk to Calvary to be topical...they certainly knew that the post mortem would not be pretty.

It's easy to forget that they are human beings, with or without the red (or grey) shirt on.

If we felt bad after the game, and I came close to thumping people yesterday when they commented about the game, how bad must it have been for them?

Don't forget this was their chance to put right the wrongs from Saturday 21st January. Too late now!

GIVE THE GUYS A BREAK!!!
                        PAUL O'CONNELL KNOWS MY NAME, HE NEEDED IT FOR THE RESTRAINING ORDER!

Comment

<!-
                          var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                          var SymReal;

Sym()
                          {
                          window.open = SymWinOpen;
                          if(SymReal != null)
                          SymReal();
                          }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                          {
                          if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                          SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                          window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
                          SymReal = window.;
                          window. = Sym;
                          }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
                          window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Strange story. The exact opposite happened the last time Munster were in Llanelli. Remember when their Celtic Leauge match was cancelled at the last minute last year? With most of the crowd in the ground, the Munster squad stood in the rain and signed autographs with young local supporters for over an hour. The Llanelli team went home immediately and did nothing.

The above was the subject of a letter to the Limerick Leader by a schoolteacher who had brought a bunch of kids to the game. He was hugely complimentary of the Munster team. And highly critical of Llanelli's performance.

Anyone else see that letter?

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

It might have been a good time for fans to have respected the players, and left them alone to deal with a hurtful defeat?

Comment

also notethe time mentioned in that letter.. 11.30pm .. their flight was scheduled to depart cardiff at 12.30, only an hour later. Undoubtedly some players were feeling the pain of the defeat, while others may have felt time constrained and didn't want to cause a delay in departure. And there are also a few players who are extremely shy and tend to be very uncomfortable in public situations such as that outlined in the letter.

The woman mentions some players did stop to sign autographs &amp; take photos .. There's plenty of teams where no player would have done so after suffering such a defeat.
                              Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Working...
                              X