Rate your Rugby Journalist, Newshound &/or Analyst

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate your Rugby Journalist, Newshound &/or Analyst

Time to rate the rugby scribes, for the record and for a bit of craic!! :-).
    Please pick your favourite few from the list of rugby hacks above.

It should prove interesting see who MF.com posters like best.
    Whos our favourite, 2nd favoured, 3rd,4th,5th etc?
    Who you'd only use to wrap chips,or dry boots with should come in around 5-8.
    And those who's journalistic output is only fit to wipe out the dogs (horse or cows) **** & mess should come in around 9-10 hopefully.
    So have your say on our rugby scribes right here, for the record & all that!! :-)
    Gerry Thornley
    20.79%
    Donal Lenihan
    11.88%
    Liam Toland
    11.88%
    Ronan O'Gara
    35.64%
    Stephen Jones
    2.97%
    George Hook
    1.98%
    Stuart Barnes
    1.98%
    Neil Francis
    3.96%
    Charlie Mulqueen
    3.96%
    Peter O'Reilly
    4.95%
    Last edited by Daithi; 24th-January-2015, 13:36.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Well I'd give cowboy an A++
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Won't be popular here but I really don't like Lenihan... As a pundit or his articles.

Nothing personal though he's a gent.

Comment

Murray Kinsella.....
        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
          Won't be popular here but I really don't like Lenihan... As a pundit or his articles.

Nothing personal though he's a gent.
          don't read his articles, but can't stand him on tv,
          The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

In fairness, it's the wrong question. I wouldn't rank any of them as my favourite. All can, at times, write some good stuff, including Stephen Jones. If I was scoring out of 10, it would be something like:

Gerry Thornley 6
            Donal Lenihan 6
            Liam Toland 5
            Ronan O'Gara 6
            Stephen Jones 4
            George Hook 4
            Stuart Barnes 5
            Neil Francis 4
            Charlie Mulqueen 5
            Peter O'Reilly 5

Still, I don't feel that those scoring 6/10 rank as my "favourites"
            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Alan Quinlan could be there too.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                In fairness, it's the wrong question. I wouldn't rank any of them as my favourite. All can, at times, write some good stuff, including Stephen Jones. If I was scoring out of 10, it would be ....
                I don't totally disagree tbh, but afik the polling tool really only allowed a polling response. So my thinking is that if people pick their top few, it will give a polling rating which will approx~ to a rating per journo. (With the handy bonus its simple& easy). Otherwise I'll have to put the mighty precise Piquet on the case

Btw, I'm looking at the way the voting chips are falling thus far, it appears journos showing intelligence, insight, reason and relevance are being preferred. And the muck stirring saps output is not being favoured, so by default is being only deemed fit to clean out the dog,cow and horse mess with :-), which is a grand bonus!!
                Last edited by Daithi; 24th-January-2015, 16:31.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

What about John Reason?
                  Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Murray Kinsella for his in depth analysis and both Jackman and ROG always have decent insights
                    \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

I read GnT, ROG, Quinny and Murray Kinsella, also Mule, purely for comedy value. The rest you can keep.

Comment

I always find the ex-players interesting I have to say, never too controversial (apart from ROG).

With regard to the "journalists", I tend to group them into three categories:

Those without an agenda - maybe this should read "less of an agenda" but the likes of Thornely, the lads in the examiner etc., provincial bias aside, are generally decent and honest guys.

Those with a agenda - the most obvious one here is Mr Fanning who clearly had a deep seated anti-munster bias. Would love to know what caused it but he is a nasty man and I avoid his inane drivel at all costs.

Comedy clowns - George Hook, Stephen Jones etc. these lads are a joke in terms of the clear nonsensical crap they normally spout. Still, it gets people talking and it's always good to laugh!!!

I suppose there should be a fourth one made especially for Reggie Corrigan but that would be acknowledging his views as worthy of comment and an insult to the punditry/journalistic profession

Comment

Maire Treasa........agus an caipin dearg.
                          Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

I seem to recall the print journalism on Regby in NZ as being fairly banal all said.
                            I thinks we're fairly well served round these parts, with the odd dishonourable exception.
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

In terms of analyst I'd go with Will Greenwood, Bernard Jackman and Jonny Wilkinson (the few he has done). I can't stand RTE presenters and interviewers. Andy Nicol is another clown who is a ridiculously biased commentator. Graham Simmons is the best around at interviews.

Journalist... I always liked Van Esbeck. Brian Moore for some of his rants and elongated paragraphs that tend to lose people. I think going for bad journalists is more fun. Everyone at the Independent with special mention to Jim Glennon and Conor George.
                              He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X