Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crowdfunding as a way to bridge the gap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munsterrebel raised this on the JJ to Northampton thread.

It is no secret that we are struggling to attract big names with less money than the affluent French. We do have a very loyal and determined fan base. Would crowdfunding be an option and would fans be willing to contribute to a marquee name? What would be the benefits, pitfalls, etc?
    Yes
    58.33%
    No
    20.83%
    Stupid idea
    20.83%

The poll is expired.

By buying tickets, merchandise etc we already crowd fund.

Comment

denis obrien is crowd funding part of Jonny Sexton all on his own
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
        By buying tickets, merchandise etc we already crowd fund.
        I don't dispute that but it's clearly not enough given the lay of the land in France. As mentioned in the JJ thread, there are a lot of season ticket holders that already spend a fortune so it is fair enough if they feel they contribute enough as is, which they do. But personally, living abroad, I would be interested in crowdfunding in a different way. I go to as many matches as I can and buy a jersey each year, but would be up for contributing more.

Comment

I do think the Branch should look into setting up a bank account in the UK which supporters like myself could simply pay into without incurring bank charges. I won't attend the Saracens game on principle but I will pay the money to Munster instead. What I have been doing is buying tickets for the mrsc draw but if I could set up a standing order direct to the branch I would and I am sure there would be others like me who won't do that if we have to pay the same again to the banks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy View Post
            I don't dispute that but it's clearly not enough given the lay of the land in France. As mentioned in the JJ thread, there are a lot of season ticket holders that already spend a fortune so it is fair enough if they feel they contribute enough as is, which they do. But personally, living abroad, I would be interested in crowdfunding in a different way. I go to as many matches as I can and buy a jersey each year, but would be up for contributing more.
            There are a limited number of die hards who would actually want to do this and an even smaller number who could afford it. I simply don't think that it's a realistic option. It's definitely not something that can be seen as reliable income that would allow you to plan future signings.

Comment

There are a limited number of die hards who would actually want to do this and an even smaller number who could afford it. I simply don't think that it's a realistic option. It's definitely not something that can be seen as reliable income that would allow you to plan future signings.
              It wouldn't but a tenner a month from a thousand people would be better than nothing.

Comment

Define "marquee player" please?

Comment

That's fair enough. And it's only cloud talk for now really and I would agree that it might only work once. But if it meant we could sign a decent kiwi post RWC for two years I would be up for it. Could help us no end in terms of competitiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                    Define "marquee player" please?

Doug Howlett.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy View Post
                      Doug Howlett.
                      So southern hemisphere international with a hefty amount of caps but coming towards the end of his playing days?

For every Doug Howlett there will be a Christian Cullen equivalent. No guarantee the so called big names will be a success. Even harder to get people to fund a signing they do not know of prior to parting way with their cash. Difference being Denis O'Brien knew it was Sexton he was funding.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                        So southern hemisphere international with a hefty amount of caps but coming towards the end of his playing days?

For every Doug Howlett there will be a Christian Cullen equivalent. No guarantee the so called big names will be a success. Even harder to get people to fund a signing they do not know of prior to parting way with their cash. Difference being Denis O'Brien knew it was Sexton he was funding.
                        Ya, but for every Christian Cullen there is a Jim Williams, Brad Thorne, Rocky Elsom, Ruan Piennar, Johann Muller, John Afoa, BJ Botha.

Comment

I think the priority should be a fighting fund to help keep CM, POM etc at home when their contracts are up.

Comment

Do the "crowd" get to vote on which player is signed using the funds - poll on MF or something

Comment

Originally posted by The Doc View Post
                              Do the "crowd" get to vote on which player is signed using the funds - poll on MF or something
                              Ha, ya. He'd want to perform on arrival!

Comment

Working...
                              X