Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What we can/should learn from Clermont supporters.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What we can/should learn from Clermont supporters.

I, like many of the people who could afford to get to Clermont at the weekend ,have been absent from home games the last few years due to emigration. Clermont have got it right on so many levels that we haven't since TP re-development . There is an obvious disconnect that could so easily be rectified.
    Why not have a procession from the city center hours before the game? Why not have a brass band to provide atmosphere because with all due respect, having yer one O 'Sullivan shattering glass as far away as Mungret is something I find hard to relate to. Have a bodhrán group,Even a non political Irish music band would make a massive difference, like the days of Wolfe tones on the tannoy before games against the English teams.
    Now I know we've grown up as a society in this regard but where has the balls gone from our support?
    We could ,and should learn a lot from the Clermont region as I feel we've lost a lot of our identity since the re-development.
    No disrespect meant but I feel something has to happen .

just posted this on another thread, before this was up. Sorry for the repost!

What do people think about organising something similar to the march in Clermont at the weekend. Great to build up the atmosphere before the match. Great scenes in Clermont.
    http://www.thescore.ie/munster-clerm...33835-Dec2014/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-pVc...e_gdata_player

The choir could get everyone going with a few tunes, at the meeting spot.
    Just an idea. I think it would be pretty cool. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves in Clermont!

Comment

Good thread idea. We can always get better!
      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Personally, I think we could do better than the choir as it stands. As a muso myself, and an ex member of the boherbuoy, I am sure they would be delighted with an approach for a venture like this. I just think there is a disconnect that needs re- connecting. ASAP!

Comment

Might be the wrong thing to say, but maybe there are people, organisations, local groups involved in the city of culture, who would love to do a march to Thomond, with better ideas than brass bands and bodhrans. Munster are better than a cliche, let's have a proper think.
          "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

Comment

Have to agree were gone way too "politically correct" with our pre match entertainment no sense of who we are it can be very bland and "nice" Need to step it up.
            Anything seems possible now; economic stability, world peace, Conor O’Shea completing a sentence without being interrupted, even the permanent cessation of The X Factor feels within reach.
            RISTEARD COOPER The Irish Times - Thursday, September 22, 2011

Comment

I likes the cut of this posts gib.
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by dubaicookie View Post
                I, like many of the people who could afford to get to Clermont at the weekend ,have been absent from home games the last few years due to emigration. Clermont have got it right on so many levels that we haven't since TP re-development . There is an obvious disconnect that could so easily be rectified.
                Why not have a procession from the city center hours before the game? Why not have a brass band to provide atmosphere because with all due respect, having yer one O 'Sullivan shattering glass as far away as Mungret is something I find hard to relate to. Have a bodhrán group,Even a non political Irish music band would make a massive difference, like the days of Wolfe tones on the tannoy before games against the English teams.
                Now I know we've grown up as a society in this regard but where has the balls gone from our support?
                We could ,and should learn a lot from the Clermont region as I feel we've lost a lot of our identity since the re-development.
                No disrespect meant but I feel something has to happen .
                Might I suggest a tune called 'Stand up, rise up' by a crew named The Barleymob?
                Their best tune to date, in my view, is called 'Everybody's Music'.
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by No Bother View Post
                  Might be the wrong thing to say, but maybe there are people, organisations, local groups involved in the city of culture, who would love to do a march to Thomond, with better ideas than brass bands and bodhrans. Munster are better than a cliche, let's have a proper think.
                  I agree, however, it has to be as close to what we are/ were about as possible. The ****e pub/ opera(trained) singer is more clichèd than what I suggested.
                  Last edited by dubaicookie; 16th-December-2014, 00:45.

Comment

Went fox/beagle hunting as a young fella , (decades ago and never caught a fox, great way to see the countryside). Often thought it would have been inspiring to have a beagle trumpet going for lineouts near the opposition try line, mauls and so on.

Comment

Just back myself…firstly, let me add too all those who once again posted on another fantastic experience- there is no better club ground in world rugby(and Ive been to most) to visit in my opinion, thou I’d love to see if any of the warmness would wain should we finally get a win there. It really does make TP look like a church.

What can we bring back from it?Some things for sure, but we don’t need to reinvent the wheel either.This was the first time they had done that pre-game march to their own ground-ie a unique occasion, and it’s not something I think we need to bring to Limerick…this, like lots of other things, just wouldn’t work if you used them too often…its their uniqueness that makes them special.

For those not there, Id liken the atmosphere to how it was in TP when we opened it with the All-Blacks game. It was just non-stop noise, from the entire ground…everyone was involved in it….including their decently sized corporate entertainment. The traveling Munster fans added to it too. The support the team receives on the road often times eclipses what we produce at home these days, which is probably just our human nature

One thing I have noticed in all the club grounds that tend to be the best fan friendly is the open nature of them, something we have lost in the redeveloped TP. I know health and safety gets trumpeted over this, but there is no way the UK/France run events with significantly less safety issues around them. We have had no incidents ever that justify the difference we currently have. Pre-game down there I could walk from the corner of the pitch all along one of their sidelines and take in the wonder of the stadium as I made my way to my seat…and it was the same on the other side of the ground post game.

The only thing I think we could try steal off them is how the teams are introduced. They had a little video of each player on the screen but the announcer only called their first name out…and the stadium the surname. Might take time to get off the ground, but really added to the buildup as it got the fans involved.
                      I’ll have their songs ringing in my ears all week
                      Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

What struck me most was that all their supporters, including the corporates, appeared to actively participate in supporting the team.

Comment

I seem to remember a few years ago marching to Thomond Park behind a band. I think it was the Leicester game. It was great Craic !!!

Comment

There's a great opportunity for some Limerick businesses to seize the opportunity here and get a fanzone set up on big match days. The Potato Market/St Mary's/Barringtons area is where I'd have it, closed to traffic with food stalls, beer tents and music and then get the burrabui band to set off for Thomond Park and hour and a half before KO and Pied Piper the fans out.
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Yes the Leicester procession was remarked on - unfortunately it did not serve as an omen of an away win.
                              suggest it has not been repeated in limerick for the same reason

clermont is always great
                              friendly fans, great atmosphere, tooth & claw rugby

liked the team presentation as mentioned above
                              some red card clappers ????

to build an atmosphere would be good for the stands to be fuller earlier !
                              got the impression stade michelin filled earlier than TP normally does ????

Comment

Working...
                              X