Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 year contract for Hurley

Two-year Munster deal for Hurley
    <DIV =LeadPara>ONE of Munster’s brightest young stars, Darragh Hurley, has accepted a two-year full-time contract. </DIV>
    <DIV =LeadPara>Hurley is amongst a group of six players who have come through the Academy and who will be named at different levels in the Munster squad for next season’s action. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>He is also in the frame for one of the upcoming inaugural Munster Rugby awards, sponsored by the Irish Examiner. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>All six — Hurley, Keith Earls, Denis Hurley, Tim Ryan, Mark Melbourne and Tom Gleeson — have played in the Magners League this season, with prop Hurley also getting Heineken Cup experience. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>One of the stars of Ireland’s recent U20 Grand Slam winning team, Keith Earls has been upgraded from an Academy contract since January 1. Both Hurley and Ryan have both agreed development contracts while Melbourne and Gleeson have been offered similar development contracts and are expected to accept the terms. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Ten of the current Academy members have represented Munster at Senior level in the Magners League. The current crop come with distinguished pedigrees; all have previously represented Ireland at various levels from Schools, Youth, Under 19’s and Under 21 level. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Munster Rugby Academy Manager Hamish Adams said: "It’s fantastic that these players have developed from Academy to development contracts, but the real challenge ahead is to establish themselves as full contracted regulars in the Magners and Heineken Cup competitions." </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>All of these players will be in line for accolades at the Munster Rugby Awards ceremony in association with the Irish Examiner on Saturday, April 28 at Silver Springs Moran Hotel. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The Munster Academy has been formed for less than three years but has quickly evolved into a hugely successful training ground for young talent. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>According to Munster CEO, Garrett Fitzgerald, it gives Munster Rugby direct influence over its next generation of professionals. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Fitzgerald also praised the Irish Examiner for their sponsorship, saying: "We are delighted to have them on board, as their sports coverage has greatly contributed to raising the profile of the sport. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>"We envisage that the Munster Rugby Awards will be an annual event. They are essentially aimed at recognising the contribution of volunteers, clubs and schools in promoting the sport, as well as the excellence of our players and referees," he added. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The aim of the Academy is to provide players with the skills, discipline, knowledge and attitude needed to succeed at Celtic League and Heineken Cup level, and the National team. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The Academy also provides support and guidance to young players to achieve the qualifications and experience necessary for life beyond professional rugby. It operates on a three year cycle with a maximum of seven places per year. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>The Munster Rugby Academy Player of the Year was presented with the John McCarthy Award for Excellence, which recognises exceptional commitment and dedication within the Munster Rugby Academy. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Munster players Tomas O’Leary and Ross Noonan are past winners. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas>Players to graduate from the National Academy programme include, Ronan O’Gara, Peter Stringer, Frankie Sheahan, Denis Leamy, David Wallace, Marcus Horan and Anthony Foley to name but a few. </DIV>
    <DIV =TailParas><FONT siz
    Seas suas agus troid!

Great news. Edit just noticed they listed Hurley twice. Is there another?
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

is'nt the other hurley a fullback?
      The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Yup he's a fullback

There's also a third Hurley in the acamedy who plays scrumhalf
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Gotcha. Would be good to have a home grown fullback coming through.
          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Great to see we are bring home grown props through the system. if we could only hire an Argie or French srumagging coach now we'd be sorted.
            Dont need reason, dont need rhyme,
            Aint nothin I would rather do,
            Goin down, party time,
            My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on a Highway to Hell ...

Comment

yeah id agree, dont think we need 2 bring in french, italian or argie props just a top class scrummaging coach who can get to work onthese guys at an early stage.
              |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|
              | MUNSTER RUGBY| \'|\"\"\";.., ___.
              |_..._...______===|= _|__|..., ] |
              \"(@ )\'(@ )\"\"\"\"*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

Comment

Well someone has worked with Hurley or he's put in a lot of hard work for himself cos at the age of 21 he's challenging puc as our best scrummaging prop. I think in the next year or so either he or Marcus may have to learn to play tighthead because Hurley is the coming man, a better prospect than Ryan although not as destructive a ball carrier and he needs to be included in the match 22 all the time now. He should also be in CC or Argentina this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer
                  Well someone has worked with Hurley or he's put in a lot of hard work for himself cos at the age of 21 he's challenging puc as our best scrummaging prop. I think in the next year or so either he or Marcus may have to learn to play tighthead because Hurley is the coming man, a better prospect than Ryan although not as destructive a ball carrier and he needs to be included in the match 22 all the time now. He should also be in CC or Argentina this summer.

Ryan is an excellent prospect as well, Omer, though Daragh's time is arriving at a faster rate.

Since there has been no mention of Gerry Hurley, Kidney must be continuing the pretence that O'Leary is a scrumhalf [img]smileys/rolleyes.gif[/img]. Go to England, Gerry.

Comment

Originally posted by Point

Originally posted by Evil Omer

Ryan is an excellent prospect as well, Omer, though Daragh's time is arriving at a faster rate.

Since there has been no mention of Gerry Hurley, Kidney must be continuing the pretence that O'Leary is a scrumhalf [img]smileys/rolleyes.gif[/img]. Go to England, Gerry.

I'm not dismissing Ryan at all just saying that if we need to move things around to include one of them then it'd be Hurley I'd do that for. Ryan will replace Bull in the coming seasons. My worry is that Hurley could be lost for the next few years until Marcus is getting on and that's a waste.

I think we all know that TOL is favoured by DK as the utility back cover.Maybe it'sa Hurley thing cos Denis seems to have disappeared off the radar when looking at potential FV cover.

Comment

Working...
                    X