European Cup Head to Head Records

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

European Cup Head to Head Records

Following Cowboy's little teaser I had a quick look back at our Heineken Cup head-to-head record.

I've thrown this together fairly quickly so apologies if I've made some mistakes! I've kept the old Welsh teams separate. If Cardiff and Blues are seen together then we have an overall loss margin of 3-2. I've excluded the Brive/Quins Challenge Cup games.

Winning margins
    6 - Castres (9-3)
    5 - Harlequins (6-1), Perpignan (7-2)
    4 - Bourgoin (5-1), Saracens (5-1), Treviso (4-0)
    3 - Gloucester (5-2), Ospreys (4-1), Sale (4-1), Scarlets (4-1)
    2 - Bridgend (2-0), Blues (2-0), Dragons (2-0), Edinburgh (3-1), Montaubon (2-0), Newport (2-0), Northampton (4-2), Petrarca (2-0), Stade Francais (3-1), Viadana (2-0)
    1 - Colomiers (2-1), Milan (1-0), Neath (1-0-1 draw), Swansea (1-0), Toulouse (3-2)

Level
    Bath (1-1), Biarritz (2-2), Leicester (2-2), Leinster (1-1), London Irish (1-1), Pontypridd (1-1), Racing Metro (1-1), Wasps (2-2)

Losing margins
    1 - Clermont (2-3), Toulon (1-2), Ulster (0-1)
    3 - Cardiff (0-3)
    Last edited by garryowen2323; 2nd-December-2014, 10:35.

Meh... B+.

I think a table with aggregate points scored over all meetings would be more interesting than simple win loss.

For example looking at that you'd think Sarries were one of the weakest team we ever played or that we met them when they were at a very low ebb (like us v cardiff), but I'd imagine the aggregate score over the six games is fairly tight. A table with the aggregate score would mean the scores could be expressed in % and make all our head to heads a bit more comparable.

Now, if only there was someone on this site with an understanding and an interest in statistics and considerable ability to manipulate numbers accurately with a bit of free time on their hands .... hmmmm
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Give me an hour!!! I should have all the info from earlier!

Comment

Margins with aggregate positive/negative scoring difference.

4 teams have beaten us more than we have them - Cardiff, Clermont, Toulon and Ulster

4 teams have scored more than us in aggregate scorelines - Biarritz, Cardiff, Toulouse and Ulster

Winning margins
        6 - Castres (9-3, +114)
        5 - Harlequins (6-1, +69), Perpignan (7-2, +47)
        4 - Bourgoin (5-1, +32), Saracens (5-1, +15), Treviso (4-0, +130),
        3 - Gloucester (5-2, +60), Ospreys (4-1, +48), Sale (4-1, +40), Scarlets (4-1, +22)
        2 - Bridgend (2-0, +38), Dragons (2-0, +28), Edinburgh (3-1, +68), Montaubon (2-0, +28), Newport (2-0, +23), Northampton (4-2, +29), Petrarca (2-0, +21), Stade Francais (3-1, +23), Viadana (2-0, +67)
        1 - Colomiers (2-1, +20), Milan (1-0, +18), Neath (1-0-1 draw, +24), Swansea (1-0, +4), Toulouse (3-2, -9)

Level
        Bath (1-1, +9), Biarritz (2-2, -7), Leicester (2-2, +2), Leinster (1-1, +5), London Irish (1-1, +8), Pontypridd (1-1, +20), Racing Metro (1-1, +18), Wasps (2-2, +37)

Losing margins
        1 - Cardiff/Blues (2-3, -31), Clermont (2-3, +14), Toulon (1-2, +3), Ulster (0-1, -6)
        Last edited by garryowen2323; 3rd-December-2014, 06:37. Reason: Merged Cardiff and Blues due to popular demand!

Comment

top work g23
          I am the million man.

Comment

Impressive stats. Over to you Piquet!

Comment

Needs tries for/against to better appreciate the full record.
              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                Impressive stats. Over to you Piquet!
                I have nothing useful to add to that anaylsis.

Comment

Great stats, and a good little appetiser for the back-to-backs. We' all feel better if the Cardiff and Blues stats were amalgamated!

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                    Needs tries for/against to better appreciate the full record.
                    [emoji2]
                    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

We need each teams sock colour
                      The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Don't dare tell them over at UAFC that they lead us in the head-to-head ..... no doubt Nigel's seeding systems will ensure we meet those Nordies at some stage soon ....
                        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                          Meh... B+.

I think a table with aggregate points scored over all meetings would be more interesting than simple win loss.

For example looking at that you'd think Sarries were one of the weakest team we ever played or that we met them when they were at a very low ebb (like us v cardiff), but I'd imagine the aggregate score over the six games is fairly tight. A table with the aggregate score would mean the scores could be expressed in % and make all our head to heads a bit more comparable.

Now, if only there was someone on this site with an understanding and an interest in statistics and considerable ability to manipulate numbers accurately with a bit of free time on their hands .... hmmmm
                          Is that you Mr. Thornley?!?!!

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                            Is that you Mr. Thornley?!?!!
                            Nope 'fraid not. But it's quite a compliment nonetheless - albeit a backhanded one.

Comment

Working...
                            X