Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UAFC Ask the Opposition - Munster

Evening all...

Ulster fan - I come in peace before the weekend!

Over the season so far I've been doing a semi-regular "Ask the Opposition" - trying to get a bit of a vibe off other fans, gather intel, get new perspectives on things etc. So far we've been going pretty well - there's some links to our previous efforts here.

For me Munster home and away are two of the big matches of any season, and as I've said on our home thread it'll always mean something for Ulster to do well against yourselves. With all that in mind I'd be hugely grateful if you'd have a go at a few of the questions below, gathered from UAFC. Likewise, any questions / comments / well-mannered abuse you'd like me to take back over, just shout!

I'll kick off with the q's now and will hopefully fire some answers up on our side Saturday evening / Sunday morning. It's all meant in good spirits but if there's anything that riles ye just give me a kicking. Feel free to pick and choose any you like - Thanks!

Ulster
    • What do you think of Ulster this season - on and off the pitch?
    • Who are the dangermen / matchwinners? Likewise - who would you be happiest to see playing?

• Who'll win on Friday, & how?
    • How do you see the rest of Ulster's season going?

Munster
    • What do you make of the season so far? What's the main positive / negative for Munster?
    • Who has stood out?
    • From a Northern perspective there seems to be a slow decline in attendance - why is this? Can Munster arrest this or is it just a case of losing glory hunters / blow-ins etc?
    • Cork v Limerick....any thoughts?
    • Are you concerned over Munster's finances - and any knock-on effect to competitiveness - in general?
    • Do you agree with the change in coaching structure? Has there been a significant fallout from losing Penney?
    • Will PO'C hang his boots up / move on after the RWC? If so - who'd replace him, positionally and inspirationally?
    • Do you think JJ Hanrahan is being held back unnecessarily? Would playing him at 12 simply be accommodating a weaker player in Keatley, or do you have faith in IK?
    • Would you swap CJ Stander for any Ulster player bar Stuart Olding? Would Stander do better at Ulster than Munster?

Ireland
    • What do you make of the Joe show so far?
    • How positive are you after the AIs?

As I say it's all meant in the best possible taste and if there's anything I can take back over just let me know. Hoping for a good game Friday - reckon we'll come a bit unstuck if I'm honest, we've yet to truly put in a consistent 80 this season and I think Munster will be dying to put the hurt on after the Ravens win last time out...
    Last edited by UAFC Loki; 26th-November-2014, 20:38. Reason: formatting

Originally posted by UAFC Loki View Post
    Evening all...

Over the season so far I've been doing a semi-regular "Ask the Opposition" - trying to get a bit of a vibe off other fans, gather intel, get new perspectives on things etc. So far we've been going pretty well - there's some links to our previous efforts here.

For me Munster home and away are two of the big matches of any season, and as I've said on our home thread it'll always mean something for Ulster to do well against yourselves. With all that in mind I'd be hugely grateful if you'd have a go at a few of the questions below, gathered from UAFC. Likewise, any questions / comments / well-mannered abuse you'd like me to take back over, just shout!

I'll kick off with the q's now and will hopefully fire some answers up on our side Saturday evening / Sunday morning. It's all meant in good spirits but if there's anything that riles ye just give me a kicking. Feel free to pick and choose any you like - Thanks!

Ulster
    • Who are the dangermen / matchwinners? Likewise - who would you be happiest to see playing?

Munster
    • What do you make of the season so far? What's the main positive / negative for Munster?
    • Who has stood out?
    • From a Northern perspective there seems to be a slow decline in attendance - why is this? Can Munster arrest this or is it just a case of losing glory hunters / blow-ins etc?
    • Are you concerned over Munster's finances - and any knock-on effect to competitiveness - in general?
    • Do you agree with the change in coaching structure? Has there been a significant fallout from losing Penney?
    • Will PO'C hang his boots up / move on after the RWC? If so - who'd replace him, positionally and inspirationally?
    • Do you think JJ Hanrahan is being held back unnecessarily? Would playing him at 12 simply be accommodating a weaker player in Keatley, or do you have faith in IK?
    • Would you swap CJ Stander for any Ulster player bar Stuart Olding? Would Stander do better at Ulster than Munster?

Ireland

As I say it's all meant in the best possible taste and if there's anything I can take back over just let me know. Hoping for a good game Friday - reckon we'll come a bit unstuck if I'm honest, we've yet to truly put in a consistent 80 this season and I think Munster will be dying to put the hurt on after the Ravens win last time out...
    Evening Loki! I'll answer a few of these

Ulster still look like a management team in the midst of reorganisation. Losing Anscombe and dHumph would always lead to disruption, not sure Doak is as beloved as our Axel is here.

Wanna see as many first teamers out on the field for ulster as possible. Best is a leader in Irish rugby, Bowe is another. I think Munster will shave a dodgy win, picking and driving a weakened ulster 15. Ulster should make the playoffs of the league but the bar is too high for European knockouts.

Munster have had a very pleasing season so far, the pack en masse have stood out. As for attendances, blame Friday night traffic, very difficult for our supporters outside of the limerick region to make the games, we seem to end up with a short straw in terms of kick offs more weekends than not.

Not touching the cork limerick thing.

Not worried about finances. Axel and his cadre are surprising many but not those who know what makes that coaching setup tick(its refusal to accept defeat, ever)
    Paulie has quite a while on his contract so its pie in the sky.

JJ has to play better than Keatley or Hurley to earn his chance, he's not put in a complete 80 min performance to my eyes yet this season.

Wouldn't swap Stander for anyone anywhere, Munster to his core.

Joe doing a good job can't argue with the results even if he's spurned rrrrrunnnnning raaaahhgby
    Last edited by Cowboy; 27th-November-2014, 11:02.
    I am the million man.

Comment

Welcome Loki
      You and all Ulster fans will be made to feel at home in Limerick for all but the 80 minutes in TP. We have been overly polite to you in the past but we have learned our lessons there and this week Foley's Munster will smash Ulster. There will be shock and awe tactics as we revenge our abysmal multiple capitulations to Ulster last time out, and the time before that and the time before that.... I expect nothing less than a 20 point win.

Oi and hands off CJ. He's not going anywhere.
      "We are going to hope to keep improving the environment in Munster. It’s about improving and setting standards where players and coaches can improve. Hopefully we can offer that more than just money.” Johann Van Graan 20/12/2017

Comment

Hope all visiting fans enjoy their trip down here and the Craic before and after the match.
        I am the million man.

Comment

That should read Limerick v Cork.
          Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Hi Loki, welcome to the forum. Decent idea for a thread, even if you'll probably find many of the answers in our match thread and the homepage article written by Cowboy. I'll have a go at some of those just to get the ball rolling ...

Ulster

On the pitch your squad looks to be pretty competitive, with Van der Mervwe and in particular Herbst making sure that the Muller and John "someone clock in for me" Afoa aren't really all that missed. Henry's health situation is desperate news for him personally and also for Ulster & Ireland - he's a serious grafter & I hope he makes it back. Jackson picking up an injury while Pienaar is still out will place a bigger burden on iHumph's shoulders though, and I don't think he's consistent enough for you. He seems to thrive on playing in Thomond but is less reliable than he should be back home, and this might cost you in the league over the coming weeks. Ye should have done better against Leicester though ...
            Off the pitch? I think Anscombe's departure was something of a blessing in disguise as he didn't manage to get the best out of a decent group of players. Wavy Davy's packing his bags was probably more of an unexpected blow, and the way it was done was less than ideal. I think Doak and Bell are decent coaches though, and the efforts at promoting the game to younger players and at developing young players' skills are a very sensible investment that will pay dividends over the long term. The Ravenhill redevelopment is a great success and ye have a fantastic stadium, even if the renaming is a f*cking sellout (I believe this to be true of any Irish stadium which has gone down this path).

Also, ye need a new song lads. SUFTUM is just crap, and not in a "so bad it's good" way. Sort it out FFS.

We will - we f*cking have to! We owe you too much after the shambles of the last game. Not telling you how though.

If ye can weather the period where you're down to the bare bones at half-back, I reckon a top 4 finish is still on the cards. Mathematically it might still be possible to qualify for the knock-outs in the nu-HEC, but you let yourselves down badly there and realistically your target is now the Pro12.

Munster

Happy enough after a dodgy start. we're still in with a good shout in both competitions and have a number of top players due to return as the season goes on. All the evidence to date is that Foley and his squad have managed to weather what could have been a disastrous series of injuries with some clever recruitment. We are developing depth in positions where we've had real issues in recent years, including at prop and centre, and even our back-up scrumhalves seem to be improving. Main negative is that we haven't been consistent enough in putting away the opposition and have pulled a few wins out of the bag in the last minute or two, rather than being comfortably ahead going into the final 10. Still, winning is a nice habit to have.
            • Who has stood out?

There are several players who have put in stellar performances - POC, POM, Murray et al. For me, two players for different reason - Duncan Casey was a back-up to the back-up this time last year and from the very outset showed he was something special. He should be one of the top hookers in the world within 18-24 months, and maybe less if Joe gives him the chance. Also, many people probably wouldn't go with this pick, but the fact that Denis Hurley has successfully managed the transition to 12 and is not only a solid defender but a decent offloader and breaker of the gainline makes him one of the very unsung heroes in red.

It's been done.

Not really. Keep winning and the money will come.

Penney left a decent legacy in terms of restoring the scrum, maul and forward dominance/aggression in general to our play, after several seasons of ignoring this. However the tendency for lateral, crabbing play was still present even at the end of his second season and I felt either he or Mannix failed to make the best use of the player resources we had - e.g. Downey being mainly restricted to defending, rather than using his physique as a natural gainline-breaker.

No, no, yes.

No, not even, no.

Ireland

Cautiously more optimistic than this time last year or even the 6N. Still not convinced by some of his decisions as a selector. One could argue that he is simply a slightly luckier version of Eddie O'Sullivan, in that he picks his favourites for big/key games, doesn't always trust his bench and has a massive focus on set-plays. I felt the SA game was a bit of a step forward, but the Georgia game was a wasted opportunity for blooding back-up players and we only scraped home against Oz. That said, under both of his predecessors we would probably have scraped home against SA and lost against Oz, so hey-ho - I'm keeping an open mind. Ireland still doesn't matter to me as much as Munster does.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
              That should read Limerick v Cork.
              Hey watch it now!!
              "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

This is a nice idea. Lotta questions in there though... I'll take a stab at a couple that I think are particularly interesting.

Ulster

Chaotic off the pitch and that's been reflected on the pitch. What confuses me most is now that we're in November and have the benefit of hindsight it's not at all clear why Les Kiss was drafted in in any capacity. He's clearly a technically excellent coach and I'm sure a lot of Ulster players learned good things from him, but Ulster's continuity from last season looked badly disrupted and the bizarre coaching situation can't have helped. Other setbacks have been the loss of Muller's nous and leadership on the pitch and a biblical plague of injuries, something we've known well ourselves in the past. All that said, ye really should have put Leicester away in Welford Road and that, rather than the Toulon loss, is probably the rock on which Ulster's ERCC hopes have perished.

Munster will win in a bit of an arm wrestle, with the back row in the ascendancy proving crucial.

So far Ulster have been strong in the Pro12 (bar the draw with Zebre) and I'd expect that to continue and for ye to be pushing hard for a home semi-final. I wouldn't fancy us going there. The ERCC is a write-off but it won't be abandoned.

Munster

Pretty good so far. Slightly more pragmatic game-plan which has come at the cost of some ambition. That being said, Foley isn't a rugby dinosaur and I'm sure he wants us to expand our game, but it's not clear whether the resources are there for that to happen (coaching, back-up scrum-half, and centres are the main concerns here).

No. There's a Hanrahan that exists in the minds of some who has consistently been playing better than Ian Keatley, but it's fantasy. Eventually I see him pushing Keats out to 12 but he needs to earn the jersey and not be given it as investment for the future. I have a lot of faith in Keatley, who's by and large been brilliant for us on the biggest days.

I'd kill for Olding, obviously, but CJ is developing into a first-rate ligind, so no, no swapsies. (We'll take Luke Marshall off you though as you don't seem keen to use him...) And CJ would waltz into the Ulster team I think; a back-row with him at 8, Henry at 7, and Diack at 6 would be a beautifully balanced and effective unit. He's come on hugely at Munster though, and I think a big part of that has been being under the tutelage of Penney and Axel, two former number 8s and top-notch coaches, so I doubt he'd be better at Ulster.

Comment

Ulster

Off the pitch doesnt matter an ounce to me, on the pitch ye have weaknesses in pivotal positions, you are in a world of trouble without piennar, marshall is not at the races on the big days, nick williams is a 30 minute player, and you have been very slow to take him off, and the front row is not to be feared. The loss of Payne from FB to 13 for national reasons has diminished your potency in attack

Payne and bowe are your only top class backs, gilroy and cave will do a job

Munster by scoring more points

Moral vistory in the HCUP, but out of the competition before christmas, top 4 in the rabo due to home performances

Munster

Next 5 weeks will decide a lot

• Who has stood out?

Axel and Stander

Friday night games, Cash, the misguided belief that this team are not as good as previous

• Cork v Limerick....any thoughts?1

No

Semi finalists the last 2 years, a Final was to be had only for the away draw, the best 2nd row and SH in the NH, this is our year.

No

His almost 2 years out with injury is standing to him

Comment

Cowboy, thoughtless and mr chips have summed up all my views perfectly. Sound out lads! Saved me time!

The one player I would like to get down here would be a fit Henderson.

Pienaar has been a massive massive loss. Runs the show from 9.

Comment

Good idea Loki.

Being in the mood for a bit of pre-lunch procrastination, I'll add my two cents' worth on a few of your questions...

What do you think of Ulster this season - on and off the pitch?
                      A very good set of backs and a solid pack, capable of beating anyone on your day but lacking a bit of leadership with Pienaar out (no shock there). I actually think Small Paul has been playing very well but you have built your game around a general at 9 (much as Munster have this season) and he is not that. With Paddy not really commanding at 10, you need the suave Saffer back ASAP.

Who are the dangermen / matchwinners? Likewise - who would you be happiest to see playing?
                      You've got a lot of quality but I'll focus on two areas: front row and inside centre. Herbst is a brilliant find and from the bit I've seen of ye the likes of Black and Warwick seem to be going well. You also have a such a surfeit of good young inside centres in Marshall, Olding and McCloskey that's it's almost becoming a problem (one we'd love to have).

Who'll win on Friday, & how?
                      Munster will maul and pick and go all day, depriving your dangermen of the ball. Won't be pretty but it will be effective.

How do you see the rest of Ulster's season going?
                      Probably win the Pro12. ECC knockouts are a bridge too far now, sadly.

What do you make of the season so far? What's the main positive / negative for Munster?
                      Very happy with our progress under Axel. The pack are laying a good foundation and our backs are far more direct. We're winning the tight games, which is always a good sign. However, I do want to see us become a bit more creative as the season goes on.

Who has stood out?

CJ obviously, along with the usual suspects (POC, POM, Murray etc.). However Casey and Foley have been key for me - both have really stepped up and are going to be very hard to shift when Ryan, Varley and Sherry come back. Honourable mention to Felix Jones, who looks a new man.

From a Northern perspective there seems to be a slow decline in attendance - why is this? Can Munster arrest this or is it just a case of losing glory hunters / blow-ins etc?
                      Fewer Friday night games, more wins and a gradually recovering economy will fix that. Things are already looking up.

That's your lot from me. Looking forward to a good battle at the weekend. It's always a tough test, one I think we'll pass this time.

Comment

Loki. Same questions back at ye.

Comment

Tell em nathin

Comment

Ulster
                            What do you think of Ulster this season - on and off the pitch?

Off the pitch, it looks great. Humpty going just showed we were right about him all along On the pitch, I have my doubts about the coaching team, I certainly have my doubts about Kiss as anything other than a defence coach.

Who are the dangermen / matchwinners? Likewise - who would you be happiest to see playing?

The usual.

Who'll win on Friday, & how?

I feel a lot more confident about Munster winning this match, than I would have for the last number of years.

How do you see the rest of Ulster's season going?

Until Ulster win a European Cup in this era, the doubts will remain imo. They're normally well drilled but I just find there's something lacking in them.

Munster

What do you make of the season so far? What's the main positive / negative for Munster?

Happy enough so far. Foley has brought back much of what we lost under McGahan. I hope that continues, but still plenty to work on.

Who has stood out?

Casey, Murray and Foley, though many have stood up, even the Aussie Smith has grown since he arrived.

From a Northern perspective there seems to be a slow decline in attendance - why is this? Can Munster arrest this or is it just a case of losing glory hunters / blow-ins etc?

Nothing better than getting back to winning. McGahan nor Penney understood that a hard fought 3-0 win can be fun too ! That was the real problem, Munster weren't competitive but so far this season, it's looking a lot better.

Cork v Limerick....any thoughts?

Munster Rugby are making a huge mistake by all but abandoning Cork, through pulling out all but the crap Pro12 games, the players (Cork players will all eventually be forced to live in Limerick as well, plus the Admin). It has half the population of the province (plus commercial opportunites) and there is an ongoing battle with the GAA and Soccer for the kids. Giving the shiit games to Cork does little for the Munster Rugby profile - we need high profile European games in the City, and the only way to do that is to come to an arrangement with the GAA for a redeveloped PUC. Population wise and Geographically, it is akin to moving Ulster Rugby to Derry/Londonderry.

•Are you concerned over Munster's finances - and any knock-on effect to competitiveness - in general?

If anything they should improve from this year on, it has been poor for the last 5 years.

Do you agree with the change in coaching structure? Has there been a significant fallout from losing Penney?

No, Foley had to get his chance or go. Possible questions over the backs coaching, but we'll see over the season.

•Will PO'C hang his boots up / move on after the RWC? If so - who'd replace him, positionally and inspirationally?

Dave Foley is looking good, but I think POC could easily play on for another 2/3 years...he's getting better with age.

Do you think JJ Hanrahan is being held back unnecessarily? Would playing him at 12 simply be accommodating a weaker player in Keatley, or do you have faith in IK?

Yes JJ is being held back. At least put him at 12. This is IK's make or break season. He is too hit or miss with his kicking, which is unacceptable.

Would you swap CJ Stander for any Ulster player bar Stuart Olding? Would Stander do better at Ulster than Munster?

No, CJ is fine here ! Looks like Foley appreciates how good he is.

Ireland
                            •What do you make of the Joe show so far?

We've had many prophets in the past....but results are good, in fairness to him

•How positive are you after the AIs?

Concerned about the backs. We'll see ....

Comment

Evening all...

Here's my carefully thought out obs.

Ulster
                              • What do you think of Ulster this season - on and off the pitch
                              • On, hot and cold, find them hard to watch perhaps thats due to the BBC's so boring commentary. Off the pitch your a shambles and make us look Bayern Munich organisational wise.
                              • The usual.

• Who'll win on Friday,us if we show up/ win by 5-6.

Top 4 finish.
                              Munster
                              • negative slow start, Keatley too inconsistent. Positive- the fringe players.
                              • Who has stood out?
                              • Casey, Foley and Murray, Murray, Murray.
                              • scheduling and lack of decent infrastructure between the two cities.
                              • overplayed by certain posters on here, I've lived in Cork for over a decade and the vast majority of fans in Cork have no problem whatsoever with Limerick being the centre of operations.
                              • Are you concerned over Munster's finances - and any knock-on effect to competitiveness - in general? Finances will improve with improving performances. Season ticket sales are steady and merchandising is strong.
                              • Do you agree with the change in coaching structure? Has there been a significant fallout from losing Penney? Would have liked to have seen Penney retained but the good work is being continued, McGahon was our David Moyes.
                              • Will PO'C hang his boots up / move on after the RWC? If so - who'd replace him, positionally and inspirationally? Donnacha Ryan positionally, Murray if we can keep him, inspirationally .
                              • Do you think JJ Hanrahan is being held back unnecessarily? Would playing him at 12 simply be accommodating a weaker player in Keatley, or do you have faith in IK? Yes
                              • Would you swap CJ Stander for any Ulster player bar Stuart Olding? Would Stander do better at Ulster than Munster? No

Ireland
                              • What do you make of the Joe show so far? Superb.
                              • How positive are you after the AIs? Quite but need to temper it a bit, we've been here so many times before.

Enjoy your trip south.
                              We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                              Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Working...
                              X