This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derval O'Rourke

She has got a player development gig with the IRUPA based in the Munster Team

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/othe...ment-1.1987963

Originally posted by PARISHMAN1970 View Post
    She has got a player development gig with the IRUPA based in the Munster Team

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/othe...ment-1.1987963
    I think that could be a brilliant role for her. I've always had great meas on her, you'd do well do name another Irish athlete who thrived on pressure the way she did. She always produced her very best performances on big occasions, and while she was unlucky never to win an olympic medal because there was always a handful of better athletes out their, I couldn't think of a single time she appeared to leave nerves get the better of her. That ability to get the best out of yourself on big days is something I have massive respect for and was also a key quality in Munster teams through the mid 2000's.

When you think of the likes of Sonya O'Sullivan, Pádraig Harrington, Ken Doherty (I'm still not right after watching him miss the straight black on the 147!)... they all had great careers but think of what they could have done with their talent if they had half of Derval's bottle under pressure.

If she can transfer any of that onto the young Munster lads I think it'll be of great benefit to them.

Comment

Great appointment and fantastic to see a resource like her being used in a constructive manner, very progressive move.
      "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by déiseman View Post
        I think that could be a brilliant role for her. I've always had great meas on her, you'd do well do name another Irish athlete who thrived on pressure the way she did. She always produced her very best performances on big occasions, and while she was unlucky never to win an olympic medal because there was always a handful of better athletes out their, I couldn't think of a single time she appeared to leave nerves get the better of her. That ability to get the best out of yourself on big days is something I have massive respect for and was also a key quality in Munster teams through the mid 2000's.

When you think of the likes of Sonya O'Sullivan, Pádraig Harrington, Ken Doherty (I'm still not right after watching him miss the straight black on the 147!)... they all had great careers but think of what they could have done with their talent if they had half of Derval's bottle under pressure.

If she can transfer any of that onto the young Munster lads I think it'll be of great benefit to them.
        What experience has she to assist these guys transition to new careers/paths, she has just finished herself.

Mentioning her as above the levels Harrington and Sonia achieved is a joke right? She had an excuse for every occasion and a cheerleading radio station in NT to talk up her mediocrity.

I too was unlucky not to win an Olympic medal due to the competitors around me being better, Jesus wept.

Comment

A quality signing!
          Mumha Abu

Comment

Originally posted by deltared View Post
            A quality signing!

I for one welcome the signing.

Here is a video of my favorite Derv performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDUI3au-J3s

Comment

Daw her in the queue on Lennox's the other night wearing a Munster Tracksuit.
              We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
              Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by bazzyg View Post
                What experience has she to assist these guys transition to new careers/paths, she has just finished herself.

Mentioning her as above the levels Harrington and Sonia achieved is a joke right? She had an excuse for every occasion and a cheerleading radio station in NT to talk up her mediocrity.

I too was unlucky not to win an Olympic medal due to the competitors around me being better, Jesus wept.
                She was far from mediocre, she performed PB's at every major event unlike a lot of other track and field people. If memory serves me hasnt at least one athlete who beat her to a medal when she finished 4th been busted for drugs? (I'm absolutely open to correction on that).

She is an ex-elite performance athlete with a far better understanding of a professional athlete's needs than some IRFU blazer type.
                "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Would agree completely. Any medals she won were won in very poor times with main rivals out of action. Her winning times for her outdoor medals wouldnt have seen her make the finals in the olympics. Her winning events were akin to Wigan and Portsmouth winning the FA cup a few years ago, every dog has his day. Mod Edit

The key thing with Derval from a Munster perspective is that:

1. She has never worked in a team environment and knows nothing about them. How a professional athletics person thinks and operates on a personal, psychological and physical training level has NOTHING in common with team sport. Athletes are different breeds to sports team players.

2. She has little knowledge of rugby, as a friend in common mentioned to me "she just about recognizes the shape of the ball".

3. If we are talking about development officers who can help players transition to the working environment from playing careers we have some fine examples from within rugby better positioned that Derval to support us. John Kelly, Micko, and a host of others have already actually tranisitioned to the business world successfully. Derval has no job since she retired.

She was a fine athlete in her time but people need to be careful that they are not judging her and reading too much into the media persona presented by her.

Comment

Are you being a bit harsh there?
                    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                      Are you being a bit harsh there?
                      I think the error was a post above questioning the bottle of an Olympic silver medalist and world champion as well as a 3 time Major champion. I thought that was in poor taste myself. They had plenty of bottle and to be fair to Sonia anyone who beat here was found to be a doper.
                      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

I'm not saying she achieved more than O'Sullivan or Harrington, they were more talented at their sports and achieved higher honours. What I am saying is that she handled pressure better and had a much greater capacity to produce her best performances on big occasions. I think that's a very laudable trait and as I said I'll be glad if she can share it with the players.

As to what experience does she have in transitioning to new career paths...... she's only been retired a few months and she's already published a successful book of healthy food recipes

http://www.her.ie/entertainment/cook...erval-orourke/

and you've just gone to the bother of commenting on a thread outlining how she just landed a job with the IRFU..... do those two facts not give you any sort of clue about her career adaptability?

Comment

Originally posted by déiseman View Post
                          I'm not saying she achieved more than O'Sullivan or Harrington, they were more talented at their sports and achieved higher honours. What I am saying is that she handled pressure better and had a much greater capacity to produce her best performances on big occasions. I think that's a very laudable trait and as I said I'll be glad if she can share it with the players.

As to what experience does she have in transitioning to new career paths...... she's only been retired a few months and she's already published a successful book of healthy food recipes

http://www.her.ie/entertainment/cook...erval-orourke/

and you've just gone to the bother of commenting on a thread outlining how she just landed a job with the IRFU..... do those two facts not give you any sort of clue about her career adaptability?
                          It's only in your opinion she handled pressure better. She never had to deal with the pressure of being a favourite like Sonia or going down the back nine of a major championship like Harrington. That's a different type of pressure and one she never really had to deal with. It beggars belief the criticism O Sullivan gets in this country considering everyone she beat was doped to the gills.
                          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Derval has no job since she retired.

She was a fine athlete in her time but people need to be careful that they are not judging her and reading too much into the media persona presented by her.[/QUOTE]

Is she not working for Archie O'Leary Insurances, you know a bit of cold calling "Derval here" or name-dropping down at the Yacht Club or Cork Con, who must have more insurance types per sq metre than any other club in RoI.

Comment

Tbh, and i do know a bit about career guidance and workplace transition, i did see the job advertised earlier this year and did think it would have been more suited to someone who has experience in this field, maybe she has, UL do postgrad in it, part-time but more like full-time in the work load, naturally an appreciation of the rarefied world the contracted rugby player inhabits would also help a lot.

Do feel IRUPA sometimes has a bit of a jobs for the lads (& lassies) bend to it with the fact that Marcus was employed in the role previous to her.
                              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Working...
                              X