Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Munster quicken up promoting the more talented younger players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Should Munster quicken up promoting the more talented younger players?

    In my opinion Munster need to promote their younger players quicker, there is too much dead weight holding spots ahead of younger more talented academy players, especially at centre.
    This season Munster should accelerate the following players into the first team and let them get exposure and experience so they will be ready for next season as opposed to further down the road: John Madigan, Sean McCarthy, Rory Scannell, Dan Goggin, Darren Sweetnam, Stephen Fitzgerald and either Ryan Foley or Jamie Glynn or both.

    #2
    My personal opinion is that squads need a spring cleaning every now and then to refresh up the squad. For all the talk about bravery Munster are very cautious about playing young players. I know some are studying etc but even a few games a season in the pro 12 would be good for their rugby education.


    In pre season Foley spoke about playing youth but we havn't seen much of it so far apart from Jack O'Donoghue.


    I think at least 4 academy players should be coming through every season.

    Comment


      #3
      Quicken up or speed up????
      This ain't highlander.

      These comments actually get under my skin, you'd swear we always relied on the old faithfuls. Lets not forget that we have brought through Dave Kilcoyne, James Cronin, Conor Murray, Peter O'Mahony, Mike Sherry, Duncan Casey, Simon Zebo, Dave Foley and TOD in the last 4 years. How many of those are full internationals?
      Should we drop the likes of Felix Jones to give the likes of Scott Deasy a chance?
      I think everyone agrees that we could be bringing more through and that would be great but why sacrifice players that are currently performing for the sake of players that might? What's the ratio's of Conor Murrays versus Duncan Williams' in the setup?
      The problem with this world is there are too many snakes... and not enough Ladders!
      Originally posted by joconnell
      If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by dropkick View Post
        My personal opinion is that squads need a spring cleaning every now and then to refresh up the squad. For all the talk about bravery Munster are very cautious about playing young players. I know some are studying etc but even a few games a season in the pro 12 would be good for their rugby education.


        In pre season Foley spoke about playing youth but we havn't seen much of it so far apart from Jack O'Donoghue.


        I think at least 4 academy players should be coming through every season.
        Johnny Holland
        Ronan Omahony
        Shane Buckley
        I am the million man.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by deadlyBuzz View Post
          Quicken up or speed up????
          This ain't highlander.

          These comments actually get under my skin, you'd swear we always relied on the old faithfuls. Lets not forget that we have brought through Dave Kilcoyne, James Cronin, Conor Murray, Peter O'Mahony, Mike Sherry, Duncan Casey, Simon Zebo, Dave Foley and TOD in the last 4 years. How many of those are full internationals?
          Should we drop the likes of Felix Jones to give the likes of Scott Deasy a chance?
          I think everyone agrees that we could be bringing more through and that would be great but why sacrifice players that are currently performing for the sake of players that might? What's the ratio's of Conor Murrays versus Duncan Williams' in the setup?
          Agree 100%. There's always a clamour to get the young fashionable untested names into the side but as you've said, generally we've been good at it. I think the JJ thing frustrates a fair few people mainly because the man he could/should be replacing (Keatley) isn't international class. But I genuinely feel that if/when he is good enough, he will demonstrate it in the many chances he is getting and will force Foley's hand.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Bayern View Post
            In my opinion Munster need to promote their younger players quicker, there is too much dead weight holding spots ahead of younger more talented academy players, especially at centre.
            This season Munster should accelerate the following players into the first team and let them get exposure and experience so they will be ready for next season as opposed to further down the road: John Madigan, Sean McCarthy, Rory Scannell, Dan Goggin, Darren Sweetnam, Stephen Fitzgerald and either Ryan Foley or Jamie Glynn or both.
            Who are all the deadweight?
            Madigan played A rugby today, came off injured shortly after coming off with dislocated arm? or collarbone. Yes several of those you name need some first team experience but most need to be seen a lot more at A level before going up to the higher level

            Originally posted by dropkick View Post
            My personal opinion is that squads need a spring cleaning every now and then to refresh up the squad. For all the talk about bravery Munster are very cautious about playing young players. I know some are studying etc but even a few games a season in the pro 12 would be good for their rugby education.

            In pre season Foley spoke about playing youth but we havn't seen much of it so far apart from Jack O'Donoghue.

            I think at least 4 academy players should be coming through every season.
            Dropkick its too easy to say at least 4 academy players should be coming through every season. How can you say that number? Yes squads need a spring cleaning every so often but its always been nature of Munster rugby for cautiousness surrounding player development.
            Jack O D was super for A team today. He'll go ahead of Paddy Butler in rankings In senior squad sooner rather than later and will be ahead of others soon enough as well

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
              Dropkick its too easy to say at least 4 academy players should be coming through every season. How can you say that number? Yes squads need a spring cleaning every so often but its always been nature of Munster rugby for cautiousness surrounding player development.
              Jack O D was super for A team today. He'll go ahead of Paddy Butler in rankings In senior squad sooner rather than later and will be ahead of others soon enough as well

              If the average player lasts about a decade in Munster and squads are about 40 - 50 then you'll need at least 4 or even 5 players per year to cover that. That should be the goal. The average player lasts probably less than a decade.

              JOD is the latest forward to get an opportunity but theres not much movement on new backs coming through. Zebo, Hanrahan and Murray have come through from the academy in recent years but after that there seems to be a big drop off for some reason. I do think there are good academy backs out there like Sweetnam, Goggin, Scannell and Johnston etc and to put it frankly, I'd prefer to see them getting a go than squad players like JohnE Murphy.

              Comment


                #8
                The last time we had a 'spring clean' was when we had to replace John Hayes, Alan Quinlan, Davis Wallace, Peter Stringer, Dennis Leamey, Jerry Flannary, Lifimi Mafi and Paul Warrick in the space of 11 months.

                We're still coming to terms with that...
                If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by NiallGK View Post
                  The last time we had a 'spring clean' was when we had to replace John Hayes, Alan Quinlan, Davis Wallace, Peter Stringer, Dennis Leamey, Jerry Flannary, Lifimi Mafi and Paul Warrick in the space of 11 months.

                  We're still coming to terms with that...

                  They were first choice players and many retired through injury.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                    If the average player lasts about a decade in Munster and squads are about 40 - 50 then you'll need at least 4 or even 5 players per year to cover that. That should be the goal. The average player lasts probably less than a decade.

                    JOD is the latest forward to get an opportunity but theres not much movement on new backs coming through. Zebo, Hanrahan and Murray have come through from the academy in recent years but after that there seems to be a big drop off for some reason. I do think there are good academy backs out there like Sweetnam, Goggin, Scannell and Johnston etc and to put it frankly, I'd prefer to see them getting a go than squad players like JohnE Murphy.
                    But dropkick you can't simply throw out an arbitrary number like 5 players every year it will go on a year to year basis and the average player is not around 10 years and its a bit less than that unfortunately.
                    Yes there is some talented youngsters but you can't just say throw them in in place of of your johnny Murphy's (continuing him as an example not singling him out for any reason)
                    There isn't really a big drop off after those 3. You can't expect with the current system we have for us to be producing a few internationals year in year out or at least players ready in 1/2 years to be top 1st team. We are not that ready yet And system not in place yet

                    Comment


                      #11
                      True. My point was that the loss of these players allowed younger ones to come through. Although many of the replacements have aquitted themselves well, the transition has been huge for the team.
                      If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                        Jack O D was super for A team today. He'll go ahead of Paddy Butler in rankings In senior squad sooner rather than later and will be ahead of others soon enough as well
                        You make a bit of a counter-point here actually - Paddy Butler. Too much too soon? Or a young lad progressing and getting the setbacks one would expect of a young lad getting his head?
                        "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by lactose intolerant View Post
                          You make a bit of a counter-point here actually - Paddy Butler. Too much too soon? Or a young lad progressing and getting the setbacks one would expect of a young lad getting his head?
                          Or maybe just not good enough. Conway was an exceptional u20 as well. He'll be a good professional player but I'd struggle to see him as an international
                          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I've been fairly impressed with Conway this season, to be fair.

                            Not spectacular, Joe-call-him-up form, but a decent winger doing his job well.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X