Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When are Irish teams going to take the League Seriously?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are Irish teams going to take the League Seriously?

Munster lose at home to Edinburgh and Ospreys and Ulster lose away to Zebre - not surprising when you don't play your proper team.

Like with the pre-season friendly against Gloucester, Munster put out a team which was weaker than might have been expected against Edinburgh and Ospreys.

Why should fans take the league seriously and bother to turn up - when the management clearly don't take it seriously?

Admittedly, it will be surprising if Munster don't qualify for the HC (v2.0) next year - but if they finish the bottom Irish team this year and fail to qualify I think it will be safe to assume that next year they wont put out an academy team in their final pre-season friendly and they wont put out such weakened teams in their first home league games.
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

It's frustrating watching these heavily rotated team selections every week but nothing will change until it carries real consequence. Munster, Ulster and Leinster can slip up several times and still remain confident of being in the shake up for playoff places at the business end of the season and assured of a top 6 finish and european qualification. It's really up to the others outside of Glasgow and Ospreys to bring some competition and punish them for not fielding strong enough teams.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
      Munster lose at home to Edinburgh and Ospreys and Ulster lose away to Zebre - not surprising when you don't play your proper team.

Like with the pre-season friendly against Gloucester, Munster put out a team which was weaker than might have been expected against Edinburgh and Ospreys.

Why should fans take the league seriously and bother to turn up - when the management clearly don't take it seriously?

Admittedly, it will be surprising if Munster don't qualify for the HC (v2.0) next year - but if they finish the bottom Irish team this year and fail to qualify I think it will be safe to assume that next year they wont put out an academy team in their final pre-season friendly and they wont put out such weakened teams in their first home league games.
      I don't see any reason to get too upset about who we give a run to in a pre-season friendly.

And what changes, from players available, would have represented "taking the league seriously" vs Edinburgh and Ospreys?
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Picking academy for preseason friendly = Not taking league seriously.

Picking full strength for preseason friendly = Not growing the squad for the league when injuries hit, and thereby not taking league seriously
        I am the million man.

Comment

I thought it would have changed a bit for the better given that the seedings for ercc are based exclusively on league finish now but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I can only conclude that it will remain the same until the pro12 prize money exceeds that on offer in Europe. Unfortunately that's not going to happen any time soon.

Comment

I'm really to that stressed about perceived selection issues. We've an awful lot of lads knocking about the squad who've been due some sort of breakthrough for as long as I can remember. They need to be tested, and let go if they're not up to it.

The issue seems to be with getting out of the blocks and delivering the required level of intensity across 80 minutes, and I'm not sure that's a selection issue.

Part of the uncertainty, I think, is that Foley hasn't had the fanfare of arrival that an overseas coach might have, and so hasn't laid out his manifesto in terms of playing style or approach. So we don't really have a clear sense of what we're working towards, how much change and adjustment is going on etc.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

In fairness to Foley, the two selections that have lost in Thomond so far this season put themselves in a position to win but couldn't (or didn't). We're not shipping 50 points a game. Sure, we've played badly but for a bad kick from Keatley against Edinburgh and a terrible pass from Murray against the Ospreys we could have won both games at the death.

Foley has had nothing but bad luck so far too, guys like Sherry/Varley, Ryan and POM would make a big difference imo to the forwards and it looks like Keatley is playing through an injury, and has been for sometime. The decision to not send him for surgery this summer already looks like a poor one.
              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Where's this nonsense about Munster not taking the league seriously coming from?

We're one of the few teams that have won it multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Whac View Post
                  Where's this nonsense about Munster not taking the league seriously coming from?
                  Your players and your coaches, in interviews
                  The system is dead! Long live the process!

Comment

Originally posted by exiled to connacht View Post
                    I can only conclude that it will remain the same until the pro12 prize money exceeds that on offer in Europe. Unfortunately that's not going to happen any time soon.
                    Not 100% but I think it does. Either directly or because the IRFU cut is less but pretty sure a home Pro12 Final win is more lucrative
                    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                      Not 100% but I think it does. Either directly or because the IRFU cut is less but pretty sure a home Pro12 Final win is more lucrative
                      A home Pro12 semifinal is more lucrative than a home Cup quarterfinal. We get 33% of the gate in the Pro12 but 25% of the gate in the Cup

Comment

Many fans, I suspect, including myself, still expect Munster to perform well in the HCup - because we all know the preparation is about going into those pool games with the strongest, freshest team - that is what Foley is clearly aiming to do and he is well aware that failure in the league can be excused but failure to qualify for the quarter finals will not be easily forgiven.

The pre HCup period is the equivalent of the pre-season with players being moved about and tried in different positions. If Foley gets Munster into the quarters from the pool of at least serious injury - if not death - then they boy will have done good - and his fiddling about in the league will be excused.

... but fail in the HC having fecked about with the league and he and the team will be under serious pressure.

Comment

odd title to a thread...when Irish teams have won 8/13 leagues as well as having 8 runners up. Presumably if we took it seriously we would win it every year instead of nearly 2/3 years

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
                            odd title to a thread...when Irish teams have won 8/13 leagues as well as having 8 runners up. Presumably if we took it seriously we would win it every year instead of nearly 2/3 years
                            Fair point - but the league is never allowed to interfere with the HCup. No other country's 'Celtic' league team has even got a final since the first one(Cardiff) . Munster, Leinster and Ulster as the 3 best teams in the league have always prioritised the HCUP as their results in that competition show.

... although Leinster probably still have a big enough and good enough squad to compete in the HCUP and win the League.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Whac View Post

We're one of the few teams that have won it multiple times.
                              Having won it on previous occasions speaks more about the quality of the competition, more than our attitude. Just look at the abject performances at the end of last season. Munster's attitude to the league was appalling to the point that i seriously considered not renewing my season ticket. If they don't give a sh*t about the league, then why should I? So far this year, I'm seeing the same old same old. Lip service paid to the importance of the league and then poor squad selections and attitude. Next season may be an easier decision for me, if this continues.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X