Where's our mojo gone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's our mojo gone?

Am I the only one who thinks one of the main problems today is we've lost that extra spark we had, our mojo or whatever you'd like to call it, that made us that bit more difficult to play and that much tougher to beat?

Down through the years when we've been successful, wasn't just due to having top players. There were many times when we had average players, players that didn't make the Irish squad never mind the Irish team but were key players for us, but our attitude and spirit got us through many games where the odds were against us.

We didn't always have the best individual players, but when the players played together as a whole, they worked hard, they played beyond their means and it created an unbeatable force that was to be feared. As they say, hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.
    Munster was able to get more out of their players than the likes of Ireland, which I'm sure we all remember was subject of one of the meetings when Kidney took over as Ireland manager.

Right now we've some excellent top players and we've some pretty average players, not much different to scenarios back than, but that self belief we had is gone. When nothing was too big an ask. We weren't always successful but we always went with belief and a refusal to give up and stick to script, we had a hard shell about us and as the media used love to call it, a sort of sheer bloody mindedness. We never really second guessed ourselves. Now we almost expect us to fail.

The fear factor is gone, the self belief is gone, now we lose games we should be winning as opposed to winning games we'd no right to win.
    We can change the team as much as we like and look to buy players and move players around, but as long as our spirit and belief, that what made us Munster, is gone we won't be the same force we once were.

We've seen glimpses of it, when we played in the HC but it's not something you can turn on and off, play horrendously one week and give everything the next just because it's a different competition.

We need that back, I'm not looking for the best players, I'm just looking for that spirit and self confidence back that had such a steadying hand on our team, it was always a case of we'll find a way. Now it's a case of us expecting half hearted efforts and the team to choke.

It happened slowly over time, and I'm not sure how we get it back. Maybe it's the fact that success breeds success and most of these players weren't part of a winning Munster team. But we've lost our superpower and I'd like it back please.

Or am I on my own in this thinking?
    Last edited by Stringer9; 28th-September-2014, 21:26.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

I dunno I think there's abit of mud tainted glasses going on here in looking at the old Munster teams.

Take the 02-03 season SF away to Toulouse where you'd an 8-9-10-12-13 lineup of Foley, Stringer, ROG, Henderson, and Mullins.

I think the current management would kill for that lineup and especially that centre partnership.

Munster have had an awful lot of excellent players through the years that maybe they, and the players themselves, didn't recognise where of the quality they where!

Comment

we had a very simple formula. A world class number 10 that kicked points and kept a narly pack of forwards always moving forward.
      Dont need reason, dont need rhyme,
      Aint nothin I would rather do,
      Goin down, party time,
      My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on a Highway to Hell ...

Comment

Originally posted by Angus Axe View Post
        we had a very simple formula. A world class number 10 that kicked points and kept a narly pack of forwards always moving forward.
        Having an international pack and halves was handy enough alright. Those were the days.

Comment

Our Mojo is gone to the following places:
          1. Coaching in Paris
          2. Owns a sweetshop
          3. Carrys water bottles onto the pitch for munster
          4. Commentates for sky and writes in the paper
          5. Was coaching AIL last I heard
          The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Originally posted by MrBunhead View Post
            I dunno I think there's abit of mud tainted glasses going on here in looking at the old Munster teams.

Take the 02-03 season SF away to Toulouse where you'd an 8-9-10-12-13 lineup of Foley, Stringer, ROG, Henderson, and Mullins.

I think the current management would kill for that lineup and especially that centre partnership.

Munster have had an awful lot of excellent players through the years that maybe they, and the players themselves, didn't recognise where of the quality they where!
            We still weren't good enough then though. We left the 2000 final behind us but were well beaten in the Hand of Back final in 02. By 2005 we looked like a fading force. It was the away game at Castres in 06 that turned things around and a week later the demolition of Sale. Why? We added something to the 10 man game. Halstead and Murphy and the rest of them could match the ability to attack that our pack brought. So we could threaten the defence all along the line. Tomas O'Leary looked fantastic and no one laid a glove on ROG.

The semi against Leinster galvanised the squad. I think Leinster were a better team even then but they didn't know it and the Munster players simply would not let Leinster win. If Leinster had won that semi I have no doubt they would have won the final - and at the first time of asking.

Munster has lost the hunger. There's no mystery, there's no romance. The first thing Foley has to do is to restore that. Fla and MOD may be the key to that. I hope they are and I hope they pull it together. A win at the Aviva would go a long way to restoring pride and bringing back the crowds.

Right now Munster are dull, they are boring and, sadly, they are losers.
            We need them as much as they need us and we need them to inspire us and to remind us what it was that we signed up for.

Where once it sounded daring and provocative "To the brave and the faithful nothing is impossible" now sounds hollow. Axel has his work cut out.
            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

1) owns a pub, no hair
              2) owns a pub and hair, carries team manbag
              3) owns a farm
              4) shannon mafia
              5) ireland captain, vital pack member
              6) double shoulders op, back soon
              7) owns a sweet shop, still looks match fit
              8) confused and bemused

9) ring rusty, needs gametime
              10) Parisian chaffeur
              11) Underrated
              12) Scored against Wallabies on Saturday
              13) Unknown, think he's still playing amateur in NZ
              14) magnificent bastard, Cark blow in.
              15) south africa, fizzy wine

16) slaphead, bbc
              17) heart op
              18) Massive shorts, south african
              19) Choke tackle
              20) mechanic, sky talkieehead
              21) tap tackle, spidermonkey
              22) drop goals, no hair
              23) giant arse, spinny
              Last edited by Cowboy; 29th-September-2014, 23:02.
              I am the million man.

Comment

Hard to keep up with the "new" threads

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	good friday.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	2484115
                  All downhill since
                  When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PsfOzn3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	2484132
                    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      23) giant arse, spinny
                      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                        We still weren't good enough then though. We left the 2000 final behind us but were well beaten in the Hand of Back final in 02. By 2005 we looked like a fading force. It was the away game at Castres in 06 that turned things around and a week later the demolition of Sale. Why? We added something to the 10 man game. Halstead and Murphy and the rest of them could match the ability to attack that our pack brought. So we could threaten the defence all along the line. Tomas O'Leary looked fantastic and no one laid a glove on ROG.

The semi against Leinster galvanised the squad. I think Leinster were a better team even then but they didn't know it and the Munster players simply would not let Leinster win. If Leinster had won that semi I have no doubt they would have won the final - and at the first time of asking.

Munster has lost the hunger. There's no mystery, there's no romance. The first thing Foley has to do is to restore that. Fla and MOD may be the key to that. I hope they are and I hope they pull it together. A win at the Aviva would go a long way to restoring pride and bringing back the crowds.

Right now Munster are dull, they are boring and, sadly, they are losers.
                        We need them as much as they need us and we need them to inspire us and to remind us what it was that we signed up for.

Where once it sounded daring and provocative "To the brave and the faithful nothing is impossible" now sounds hollow. Axel has his work cut out.
                        No Munster may not have had the team to win the HEC but they did have a team to compete to win it, as in Sf or final quality.

To say that Axel has his work cut out is correct as he just doesn't have the quality of players that the Munster of 00-05 had let alone the HEC winning Munster teams.

Tyler B was recruited as a Jason Holland type player, he would not have been the first Munster "second five eight".

Comment

JJ is currently distilling our mojo from the brown water of the river Flesk.
                          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                          X