The Art of Tanking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Art of Tanking

Those familiar with American sports will of heard of concept of tanking - essentially giving up on a season to avoid spending money as it's clear to team decision makers the team isn't ready to compete for trophies or in extreme circumstances to be the worst team possible and try and receive high draft picks (76ers NBA) - extreme circumstance not relevant to rugby in current format.

After watching with interest this summer as Munster failed to invest in any players of note, leaving the team extremely thin at certain positions - centre, SH, hooker etc, in my view there can only be two reasons for this. Incompetence or tanking. When I say tanking, I m suggesting the powers that be have decided in World Cup year, very few top free agents will move and any that do will move to France. Hence we are left with centres for example who we know management don't rate. No team with designs on winning anything would go into a season with our current choice of centres for example.

Perhaps with our "top" players more than likely being wrapped in cotton wool ahead of WC, branch has said ah well, if we go well that's great but if not, no major harm?

The coaching staff appointments would fall under this theory too, but I think the old political nonsense definitely has an impact here too.

for me this has been coming for a while. It's been fashionable to blame the foreign coaches, but for last 4 years to me it's been clear the team if anything has been massively overachieving relative to the talent available in the squad.
    Last edited by bosh12; 28th-September-2014, 19:24.

Would not work here. We are not a patient bunch in Ireland.

I have been reading Munster are losing serious cash. Most likely they just cant afford big name signings. Unless the IRFU plan to spend money like they did with Ulster and Connacht.

Comment

That's a stupid idea, really thick.

Tyler B would not have been signed if Munster wanted to tank the season. He isn't going to the RWC with NZ so why waste the money on him now? After the RWC alot of similar players would come available too.

He would have really, as in massively, helped Munster's backplay if he was fit. A far better option that all the other options at 12.

Comment

What I'd like to see is a squad cull at the end of the season and bring in plenty of academy players and look to the UBL for the best talent who missed out on provincial academies.

I don't think you can have so many second or third choice players in a squad who are past their mid twenties especially those who were never first choice. Young players gives the squad a lift and gets fans more excited too. They bring a freshness to the squad compared to the same players being rolled out again who are clearly there as second or third choice.

In terms of wage bill an injection of youth is also cheaper. Young players will make mm ore mistakes but it doesn't mean they would be worse than what's there at the moment.

Some examples of changes I'd like to see
        Sean McCarthy or John Madigan for Billy Holland
        Rory Scannell for Ivan Dineen
        David Johnston for Johnny Murphy
        Neill Cronin or Jamie Glynn etc for Duncan Williams
        Barry O'Mahony, Alan Cotter are others who fall into that category.

Comment

Don't think that is the case here at all at all.

Munster Rugby is broke. Did we not let some staff go in the last few months.

We can't just write off a season as we need the top 6 place to qualify for Europe next season.

Comment

Originally posted by bosh12 View Post
            After watching with interest this summer as Munster failed to invest in any players of note, leaving the team extremely thin at certain positions - centre, SH, hooker etc, in my view there can only be two reasons for this. Incompetence or tanking.
            We signed two centres (Bleyendaal and Smith) and have three very good hookers (Casey, Varley, Sherry) and brought in temporary cover. Scrum half is the main problem position. We're only light elsewhere because of injuries. Certainly isn't deliberate, unless Axel is going around the place crippling fellas.

Comment

Tanking only works where entry is guaranteed into the league like the NBA. If Munster dont get into ERC they are in serious trouble.

Comment

Working...
              X