Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good are the 2014/2015 Munster home supporters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good are the 2014/2015 Munster home supporters?

Good atmosphere at the match last night. I thought the support was quite good, and it was mostly all positive, and it felt much better than the game against Edinburgh. The style of play and the way the scores were taken helped.

The role of the supporters remains a critical part of the team’s performances - probably even more so at last night's type of match. (It's easy get up for home QFs against Toulouse, isn't it?).

But how good are we?

Sometimes when I go to a home match (especially Friday nights), I’m tired after a long week, I’ve travelled straight to the ground, and I don’t particularly feel like being a loud supporter, especially on those nights when noise is echoing around instead of booming. I’ll admit that sometimes I just want to watch and see the team do their stuff and send me home happy.

Foley was talking about the Zebre match in last night's programme: "We want an intimidating atmosphere, we want the supporters to come and support us. We need that..... We have had a few back to back poor results there ..... but help can come from the terraces and I think that's important going forward....".

OK – so people might say: “Give us something to cheer about, etc., etc.” But I think that we don't work as hard at those matches when there's only 7,000-8,000 at the match. Of course, it's difficult to shout your head off when all you can hear sometimes is yours or the players’ voices.

But a lot of these guys are trying hard to find form or fitness, or claim a starting place, or trying to make an impression, or are keeping a place warm for better players, or they are signings just trying to show they're worth it. All great reasons to get inside these players heads and drive them on.

Going back to the Edinburgh match, at the start there was a sense of anticipation because of Foley finally getting the top job, and all that entailed. But Munster were outplayed and outfought, and we were quiet enough as a crowd.

Last night, maybe our expectations were lower, or we saw that there were a lot guys trying their damnedest, but I thought the crowd and team fed off one another better. The team played well, and I thought as supporters we upped our game too.

The point? It’s fair to say the bulk of those there last night are really dedicated fans. But, we shouldn’t forget the importance that we play in lifting the team, especially on those nights when Thomond is only one third full. Munster currently needs supporters to drive them on to the team they can be, not to compare them to the team they once were. I’m with Foley on this one.

EDIT: I'm really referring to the supporters actually in the ground - not the general support base. Sorry if this wasn't clear. BW
    Last edited by blackwarrior; 20th-September-2014, 17:05. Reason: clarification
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

I know a plenty of people who just won't go to a Munster game unless it's H Cup.....or that new fangled Cup.

People who would NEVER travel to Thomond from Cork for a Magners game.

I also know people, family who just can't with work etc

So are we always looking at small attendances for Pro12 games.
    Last edited by Corcíoch; 20th-September-2014, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
      Did many travel up from Cork?
      I know 6 that did.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
        Did many travel up from Cork?
        Plenty!! Cop on
        "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

Comment

Agree with BW. Thought there was a half decent atmosphere last night and that we-the crowd- got involved, much more so than the funereal like silence at the Edinburgh match. The way we-Munster played helped. Direct hard running through the centre, runners and support following the box kicks at pace, Holland and then JJ creating excellent back line moves (did I just write that?), again at pace, good tackling, Cronin's break was Horanesque (hope it gets on to the highlights reel) and so on.
          There was noticeable applause for good defence the few times Zebre attacked through multiple phases of play.

Glad I made the effort to attend.
          "We are going to hope to keep improving the environment in Munster. It’s about improving and setting standards where players and coaches can improve. Hopefully we can offer that more than just money.” Johann Van Graan 20/12/2017

Comment

Frankly I think MR have been a bit disingenuous with the issue of Friday night fixtures. They were aware the game wouldn't be televised last night but still accepted a Friday night fixture.
            It is practically impossible to make these games unless you live in the Limerick metro area.
            We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
            Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by Mack the Knife View Post
              Frankly I think MR have been a bit disingenuous with the issue of Friday night fixtures. They were aware the game wouldn't be televised last night but still accepted a Friday night fixture.
              It is practically impossible to make these games unless you live in the Limerick metro area.
              Why the game was played on Friday night was explained by Garret Fitzgerald at the MRSC agm. His explanation has already been outlined and discussed on the forum.

Comment

The Friday nights are a bit of a core issue I think, they should be an exception and not a rule. Also you can't discount the general attitude the team have showed the bread and butter games. I'm not sure if it's the players reacting the lack of interest the fans are showing in the league, or the fans reacting to the lack of interest the players show in the league, but there is an issue there regardless.

The result is that outside of hardcore in and around Limerick, there is no tradition of attending Munster games regularly for the vast majority of the fan base. From some of the ground evidence I'm seeing, we are losing fans because of it. By that I don't mean people are actively unfollowing Munster, but are drifting away from a lack of proper interaction. They still support the team, but just on a small window at the weekend if they can sit down and watch it at home or in the pub. You've seen that already happen with the last few year's games that were on in Cork, and that is now happening at Musgrave.

Bottom line is that our regular home games are becoming restricted to a minority of fans.
                "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                  Why the game was played on Friday night was explained by Garret Fitzgerald at the MRSC agm. His explanation has already been outlined and discussed on the forum.
                  Garrett is a great man for explaining things. Not too great when it comes to actually addressing those issues for betterment of Munster Rugby, sadly.
                  "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
                    The Friday nights are a bit of a core issue I think, they should be an exception and not a rule. Also you can't discount the general attitude the team have showed the bread and butter games. I'm not sure if it's the players reacting the lack of interest the fans are showing in the league, or the fans reacting to the lack of interest the players show in the league, but there is an issue there regardless.

The result is that outside of hardcore in and around Limerick, there is no tradition of attending Munster games regularly for the vast majority of the fan base. From some of the ground evidence I'm seeing, we are losing fans because of it. By that I don't mean people are actively unfollowing Munster, but are drifting away from a lack of proper interaction. They still support the team, but just on a small window at the weekend if they can sit down and watch it at home or in the pub. You've seen that already happen with the last few year's games that were on in Cork, and that is now happening at Musgrave.

Bottom line is that our regular home games are becoming restricted to a minority of fans.
                    Glasgow and Leinster seem to have a fair few sky games this season, our goal should be to make the final of the G12 and ensure we are a box office attraction to Sky next season, ergo we get saturday prime time kick offs.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Next Saturday we have the Ospreys in Thomond Park at 18.30.

It would be great to see 15,000 plus in Thomond Park supporting the team for what will be the start of a very important series of 5 games. If you have a season ticket or 10 year ticket and are not going try and pass it on to someone who will make use of it. Why not try and encourage a few friends who have not been to a league game for a while to come along.

We have had our ups and downs since the game has gone professional but even in defeat we have many great days out. It's time for supporters to get behind the team. Who knows but success might be just around the corner?

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                        I did not see it. What did he say?

Comment

I'd imagine emigration and people moving to Dublin has a LOT to do with it too. Out of a gang of 10 regular attendees at Celtic games, only 3 of us remain living in Limerick compared to 2010/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Mack the Knife View Post
                            Im not sure thats correct. Its down to individuals own lives. I live in East cork and was at the game with someone from near Kinsale.

I know a few Cork folks who could have gone yesterday (with a free ticket even) but said, nah. But be sure they will be there for the 1st H Cup game no matter what day of the weekend it is or what time.

Some folks would like to make it but cant . . .some folks can make it but couldn't be bothered.

Next Sat for example . . .not a hope in hell I can get to the game much and all as Id like to
                            Last edited by Corcíoch; 20th-September-2014, 19:07.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                              I did not see it. What did he say?
                              Game was supposed to be on in Italy this weekend. There was a very late change to the fixture schedule and we were home instead of away. In the interim Thomond Park had taken a function booking for this evening so game could not be played this evening.

Comment

Working...
                              X