X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munster V Zebre. TP Team post 108

UPDATES IN RED.

MUMHAN ABU!!!!!!

That the when and where sorted, now lets look at the game ahead.

The Team
    Felix Jones (capt.), Ronan O’Mahony, Andrew Smith, Denis Hurley, Simon Zebo; Johnny Holland, Conor Murray; James Cronin, Duncan Casey, BJ Botha; Billy Holland, Paul O’Connell; Paddy Butler, Tommy O’Donnell, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Donncha O’Callaghan, Sean Dougall, Duncan Williams, JJ Hanrahan, Johne Murphy.

Our form
    Patchy but hopefully about to improve rapidly, 1 win and 1 loss. However there is the fillip of further returnees in Paulie, Murray, Killer and JJ! Watching the highlights of the win against Treviso one thing that struck me was that we seemed to use half the width of the pitch at high tempo. Duncan was following the ball from Lineout to in line with the goalposts before returning to the blindside. I like the idea that we are wide, but half as wide as last year. Our wingers are following the ball and the 10 infield to try and target fatties or step their backrow. I think we might see further improvement this weekend, and the juggernaut catching traction. The fellas returning are key 'guiders' to our play i.e. decision makers and ball carriers.

Their form
    2 losses, Blues hammered home 5 tries on the opening weekend in Italy (26-41) then our friends in the north put another 5 tries on them last friday night in Ravenhill (33-13). Zebre had 15 losses last season, and finished bottom of the table. Their backline has some talent in it, Kiwi Brendon Leonard and Italian outhalf Orquera, but in the centres they have real bosh merchants Garcia and the ever hungry Mirco Bergamasco.

Things to look out for
    Our ruck work was not up to scratch against Edinburgh, plain and simple its the ignition to yardage and quick play. We need to be clearing beyond the ball and giving Murray and Keatley the resources to run Zebre ragged. The obvious thing to look out for is CJ Stander trying to crush all before him, he said he has dropped a little weight in preseason to improve his athletic game, which based on his bulldozer tries so far he looks like a heavier and harder to tackle slab. (Not playing tonight, being rested, he's earned it!) This is a chance for Paddy Butler to show his worth against a side that Munster should be able to handle, with Tommy O'Donnell and Copeland in the backrow longside him I would hope that we see plenty niggly troublesome stuff from our blindside and make room and time for the other two to gallop.

For them, damage limitation on the road is usually name of the game, their only previous away victory came at Cardiff in round 3 last season. They made 11 changes between playing the Blues at home and heading to Ulster last Friday, so they look like they're either targeting certain matches or attempting to deepen their squad.

One other thing to look out for is the crowd! Credit to Munster Rugby for pushing a come along and shout campaign all week, doubled up with very reasonably priced tickets at €15 for an adult I'm hoping we will see a fuller, happier Thomond Park tonight. Culture Night is tonight, but watching our pack splinter a scrum or maul home a lineout dive for 5 points is as majestic as any opera or watercolour or supersnackbox if you're from Limerick (excuse the lazy cliche!)

Key playersFelix continues his deputation as skipper, we have never been wanting in the captaincy area but as others have mentioned its oft forgotten that merely because someone seems quiet on the field doesn't suggest he isn't a leader or vocal in training and dressing rooms. Felix has had more than his share of injuries and has always bounced back to give everything he can, such actions after such pain and hurt speak of his refusal to quit, or give in on anything.

Would also like to wish Johnny holland the best of luck because tonight is a huge night for him, with Tylers' arrival unknown as of yet we must keep Keats and JJ in optimal condition for the more significant games, however in Murray as his scrum half Holland can look forward to an armchair ride. Conor is the man to clear up sticky situations inside our own 22, take the pack and drive them forward or even take a few snipes around the base to give his young 10 a chance. He's got the same scenario as Duncan Casey did last season so now he can play his game on a big stage.

In the pack its an atypical league selection, a smattering of key men and a smattering of support players. Duncan Casey, James Cronin and possibly Sean Dougall off the bench are 3 fellas who need to take games like tonight and use them to demand selection for games like the Aviva coming up. They have the opportunity, they have Paulie, we should see more of what was seen in the short highlights from Italy last week.

If all else fails call on JJ, its ripe for him to make magic happen. He's done it before.

Leonard for them, he snipes a fair old bit and takes the weight off Orquera who appears to be a bit of a Dan Parks kick and follow 10, they spent big bucks bringing in a decision maker. Gonzalo Garcia is an absolute no nonsense brute of a 12 who likes slamming in the tackle and being a hard nail in their backline, he also works a lot to mind their 10.

Too early to tell who will be our key players, will update after side is announced. However our Argentine hooker, Eusebio Guinazu has secured his work permit, a huge acquisition to manage to get a test capped hooker to fill in at such short notice.

Quotable and Notable
    Click image for larger version

Name:	INPHO_00847876.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	2497538
    Murray's beard

Click image for larger version

Name:	INPHO_00847866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2497573
    Aled's Beard (still top dog)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/pro12/...nster-returns/
    Last edited by Cowboy; 19th-September-2014, 16:36.
    I am the million man.

Dries Van Schalkwyk is their best player. Live from Parma btw.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
      will add a bit about Dries in a few mins!
      I am the million man.

Comment

Any idea of the quality of the two lads they brought in from Cheetahs this year? Surprised to see the Italians importing front five, even if it is a Saffer lock.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
          I was in Parma a few weeks ago. Good to see that Zebre are being heavily marketed. Nice city too.

Comment

Can't make the game fri night..will we be able to stream it does anyone know??

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              Can't make the game fri night..will we be able to stream it does anyone know??

not unless the league can reach an agreement with Italian TV (Mediaset)

Comment

Twitter updates so I guess..cheers kingtiger

Comment

I think it is fair to say that the next 6 games will make or break the season. In the Pro 12 we have Zebre and Ospreys at home, Leinster away, Scarlets at home, then in the Nigel Cup we have Sale away and Saracens at home. At the very least we need to win all four home games. Sale away is achievable. Leinster away will be difficult.

Comment

By looking at the training pics I think the team this weekend will be:

Killer Casey Botha
                    DOC POC
                    Butler Dougall/TOD Copeland
                    Murray JJ
                    Zebo Hurley Smith Conway Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Tipplad View Post
                      By looking at the training pics I think the team this weekend will be:

Killer Casey Botha
                      DOC POC
                      Butler Dougall/TOD Copeland
                      Murray JJ
                      Zebo Hurley Smith Conway Jones
                      Very very strong and exciting team.

Side note, the stronger the selection and the earlier it's announced might pump up the attendance figures?
                      I am the million man.

Comment

We need to continue from where we left off last week, another win, this time a BP win

Comment

serious question here , if the try scoring machine/animal bags a few more tries in the next few games , how can foley leave him on the bench v sale ? will foley go for pom at 7?

Comment

Originally posted by BigLad View Post
                            serious question here , if the try scoring machine/animal bags a few more tries in the next few games , how can foley leave him on the bench v sale ? will foley go for pom at 7?
                            I think that judgement will be based on how we're performing at the breakdown rather than tries.

The return against Edinburgh, for instance, won't do. It's not enough to be dominated across the park and them drive a score in from a couple of yards out.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by kingtiger View Post
                              not unless the league can reach an agreement with Italian TV (Mediaset)
                              Anyone know why an agreement with mediaset wasn't in place before the season started?
                              Its life, if your not doing it wrong your not doing it right.

Comment

Working...
                              X