Irish Rugby With No Heineken Cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Rugby With No Heineken Cup

It now is very likely that there will be no Heineken Cup next season what effect is this going to have on Irish rugby players and clubs can they survive without the Heineken Cup i have even heard it mentioned that the Irish clubs will lose many of their top players to English and French clubs ???

There's a bit more than the prospect of HEC gametime tieing most players to the provinces.

Comment

Originally posted by Cool - Cat
      It now is very likely that there will be no Heineken Cup next season what effect is this going to have on Irish rugby players and clubs can they survive without the Heineken Cup i have even heard it mentioned that the Irish clubs will lose many of their top players to English and French clubs ???
      What irish clubs?

Comment

if the eglish clubs get any more diluted with irish players their wont be any english players left to play for England
        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy
          Originally posted by Cool - Cat
          What irish clubs?

OK if you want to contardict me Irish Provinces i should have said

Comment

I smell a conspiracy between the English and French. Interesting the French say they don't want to take part in Europe because of the RFU's attitude towards the English clubs and yet the English say they don't want to take part in Europe because the French aren't there. By the way the French clubs are meeting to discuss the future on Thursday, guess who will be attending the talks...that's right the 12 Premiership clubs plus Leeds. Apparently they intend to fill the void left behind by the Heineken Cup with friendlies which kind of blows a hole in the French argument about playing too many games next season.

Don't be surprised to see an Anglo French league set up in the near future and guess where all our top players will end up? Enjoy the provincial boom while you can in Ireland because unless we get a cut of the cake with our English and French companions the boom may soon bust.

On a more positive note at least the Magners League should be a cracking competition next year...

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder

Don't be surprised to see an Anglo French league set up in the near future and guess where all our top players will end up? Enjoy the provincial boom while you can in Ireland because unless we get a cut of the cake with our English and French companions the boom may soon bust.
              Possibly but the Munster, Leinster and Ulster bring supporter to away games, bring raised public interest and with it TV interest. How many French and English clubs have benefited from Munster...Biarritz, Bourgoin, Harlequins. Why would they turn their backs on that? I admit they wouldn't miss Borders or Glasgow but they would miss us and the Welsh.

Comment

Anglo French league won't happen. It would require IRB sanction which
                will not be forthcoming. Had this discussion on lf about the Kerry
                Packer Rugby Circus and how the IRB ran it into the ground, even
                insisting that the shape of the ball be changed as a rugby union ball was
                a trademark or copyright (can never remember which). Peter
                Fitzsimons wrote a great book on the subject.
                Comment

Potential white elephant?

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot G
                    Potential white elephant?img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/billythesquid/
                    ThomondParkRedevelopment02.jpg">
                    Not really, if the supporters and sponsors and teams and unions put half
                    the effort into the ML as we do into the HEC then it would be successful.
                    There are fantastic teams and players in the ML, the match of the HEC.
                    If it were done right then the larger TP would be a sound investment in
                    the future.
                    Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cahill
                      Originally posted by Dermot G
                      Potential white elephant?img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/billythesquid/
                      ThomondParkRedevelopment02.jpg">
                      Not really, if the supporters and sponsors and teams and unions put half
                      the effort into the ML as we do into the HEC then it would be successful.
                      There are fantastic teams and players in the ML, the match of the HEC.
                      If it were done right then the larger TP would be a sound investment in
                      the future.

I agree. With the right attitude of the provinces - the magners will take off big time next season. If the hec is axed expect fullhouses for TP.

I have to admit that I have been angered by the way Munster have approached the Magners league this season and as a result the crowds have dwindled a little. I felt very uncomfortable when Cardiff came toMusgrave park.
                      Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Comment

We might see a full strength Munster team occasionally in the ML.

Comment

We might see a full strength Munster team in occasional ML play in 2007/8 then.

Comment

Would it be worth our while to try and muscle in on the Anglo - Welsh for the year?

Comment

Think you all getting excited over nothing, H.C will go ahead next year

Comment

Working...
                              X