Munster v Edinburgh 19:35 5th Sept - the Foley era begins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munster v Edinburgh 19:35 5th Sept - the Foley era begins

Well – another era begins. New management and coaching staff, new European competition and now clear distance in the rear view mirror, thankfully, of former glory days. Munster are a Pro12 top 4 prospect. Nothing more really. For once, we enter a season with realistic expectations. That’s good, really.

I haven’t posted here since last season’s Pro12 semi-final. It was such a disappointing end on so many levels: the Penney era didn’t work, we were now definitely back in the pack, Leinster definitely ahead of the rest, and 3rd/4th was about where we deserved to be. To me, the Toulouse win, the Toulon performance and the Glasgow defeat summarised our season in different ways: brilliant in the HEC defending our Thomond Park honour, gallant but limited at the highest level on foreign fields and just not committed at all to the Pro12.

I welcome the Foley era for all the right reasons, and without cynicism. Munster have chosen the best option in my view: a great thinker about the game, utterly committed to the Munster cause, a critical understanding of the things that are important to the Munster game, huge respect from all the players and staff, and a fairly decent record so far as a coach. To me, he is the single most important reason for optimism.

It will be a difficult season. Leinster are threatening a long-term dominance of the domestic game; the disappearance of the HEC branded tournament is a loss to Munster’s view of our place in the game; the Pro12 is a weakened competition with Italian and Welsh sides still going through some turmoil, and, most importantly, Munster as a squad lack players of real quality in certain positions.

My hopes for this season? Finish the season with a developing squad with settled strength in the front row, 10, 12, 13 and full back, with serious back-up to Murray sorted out. I think Foley has to decide quickly how he is going to manage the Keatley/Hanrahan selection and find a centre selection that works defensively and in attack better than Downey/Laulala did. He needs to get and keep bothEarls (becoming the forgotten man) and O’Mahony fit. And, most importantly, he has got to find a way for Munster to play well in the post O’Connell era from 2015.

Being the eternal optimist (a Limerick hurling supporter, and all that), I remain committed big-time to following Munster this season. With my young wife now a committed MRSC member (finally), my season ticket safely received, my work life sorted somewhat to allow me to get to more matches, with Thomond Park awaiting – what isn’t there to look forward to?

Munster v Edinburgh? Home win.
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Having seen last Fri nights game there are lots to be happy with but I think we left a few scores behind us and need to be more ruthless when in the opposition's 22.

Looking forward to our new season and management team

Comment

We need to win this one.
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Hammer the hammer
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Why do you describe her as your young wife, is there more than one?
          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
            Why do you describe her as your young wife, is there more than one?
            Always called her that. No reason to change now
            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

For those of you travelling to the game, esp those coming thru the city be aware some of the streets are closed to allow for the parade of the Giant Granny on Friday evening.

Comment

Game is on BBC ALBA , Sky channel 143 for those in the UK.

Comment

I'd say the team will be pretty close to what we saw on Friday night. Dineen will probably come in at 12 instead of Bohane. Keatley and or JJ will be involved in some capacity I'd imagine. The wingers will keep their places. Backrow will be CJ, TOD/Dougall, Copeland. DOC & Holland in the second row. Killer, Slattery, Botha as the front row?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                    Well – another era begins. New management and coaching staff, new European competition and now clear distance in the rear view mirror, thankfully, of former glory days. Munster are a Pro12 top 4 prospect. Nothing more really. For once, we enter a season with realistic expectations. That’s good, really.

I haven’t posted here since last season’s Pro12 semi-final. It was such a disappointing end on so many levels: the Penney era didn’t work, we were now definitely back in the pack, Leinster definitely ahead of the rest, and 3rd/4th was about where we deserved to be. To me, the Toulouse win, the Toulon performance and the Glasgow defeat summarised our season in different ways: brilliant in the HEC defending our Thomond Park honour, gallant but limited at the highest level on foreign fields and just not committed at all to the Pro12.

I welcome the Foley era for all the right reasons, and without cynicism. Munster have chosen the best option in my view: a great thinker about the game, utterly committed to the Munster cause, a critical understanding of the things that are important to the Munster game, huge respect from all the players and staff, and a fairly decent record so far as a coach. To me, he is the single most important reason for optimism.

It will be a difficult season. Leinster are threatening a long-term dominance of the domestic game; the disappearance of the HEC branded tournament is a loss to Munster’s view of our place in the game; the Pro12 is a weakened competition with Italian and Welsh sides still going through some turmoil, and, most importantly, Munster as a squad lack players of real quality in certain positions.

My hopes for this season? Finish the season with a developing squad with settled strength in the front row, 10, 12, 13 and full back, with serious back-up to Murray sorted out. I think Foley has to decide quickly how he is going to manage the Keatley/Hanrahan selection and find a centre selection that works defensively and in attack better than Downey/Laulala did. He needs to get and keep bothEarls (becoming the forgotten man) and O’Mahony fit. And, most importantly, he has got to find a way for Munster to play well in the post O’Connell era from 2015.

Being the eternal optimist (a Limerick hurling supporter, and all that), I remain committed big-time to following Munster this season. With my young wife now a committed MRSC member (finally), my season ticket safely received, my work life sorted somewhat to allow me to get to more matches, with Thomond Park awaiting – what isn’t there to look forward to?

Munster v Edinburgh? Home win.
                    Marvellous post. With you 100%.
                    I'm hopeful in spite of myself though. I think we have a really good tight five in the 1st XV. Our first choice back row has potential. Our 9 and 10s are quality. A gamebreaker play or two in the backs would be a real benefit. Can the new coach give us that?
                    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Edinburgh have signed 13 new players in the off season including Anton Bresler from the sharks. I'd say this could be a tricky enough opening weekend for us, all them new faces will be well up for impressing Solomons.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Cheap tickets. Sit in the stand for €20.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/guinness-...minorcatid=225
                        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Crush our enemies; see them driven before us; and hear the lamentation of the posh skirt-wearers.
                          Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                            Cheap tickets. Sit in the stand for €20.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/guinness-...minorcatid=225
                            Very interesting...

Comment

I want consistency.
                              Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Working...
                              X