Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who replaces BJ Botha and when will it happen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who replaces BJ Botha and when will it happen?

His contract is up at the end of the season and although he could potentially be given another extension he turns 35 this season and doesn't have much time left in his career. What are Munster's options at the position?

Is Stephen Archer his replacement?
    Are either John Ryan or Alan Cotter possible replacements?
    Could it possibly be AIL signing Martin Kelly?
    Is there an academy prop who might be able to be fast tracked?
    Will Munster need to look for a NIQ'd player?

All of the above.

Comment

Here's leinster's list of player's out of contract at the end of this season,Bayern you have a lot more to concern yourself with,and there's a few more

Mike Ross[35][2015] Central Contract
      Martin Moore[24]
      Sean McCarthy[24]
      Ed Byrne[21][Year 3]

Hooker:
      Aaron Dundon[33]
      Richardt Strauss[29]
      Sean Cronin[29]
      James Tracy[24]
      Bryan Byrne[21]

Lock:
      Devin Toner[29]
      Tom Denton[27]
      Ben Marshall[25]
      Tadhg Beirne[23]
      Gavin Thornbury[21]

Mike Ross[35][2015] Central Contract
      Martin Moore[24]
      Sean McCarthy[24]
      Ed Byrne[21][Year 3]

Hooker:
      Aaron Dundon[33]
      Richardt Strauss[29]
      Sean Cronin[29]
      James Tracy[24]
      Bryan Byrne[21]

Lock:
      Devin Toner[29]
      Tom Denton[27]
      Ben Marshall[25]
      Tadhg Beirne[23]
      Gavin Thornbury[21]

Back Three:
      Zane Kirchner[31]
      Rob Kearney[29] Central Contract
      Fergus McFadden[29]
      Darragh Fanning[29]
      Luke Fitzgerald[27]

clowns

Comment

Good man, Barley arent you a great lad for a source of information.
        But in fairness to Bayern his asked a good question.
        Botha like Ross hasnt much more left in him.
        Moore looks like the likely replacement in Leinster even if he needs conditioning.
        Archer seemed to be coming good after a tough start but has been unlucky with injuries.
        How is he getting on with his current injury? Neck injuries in the front row arent a great sign.
        I havent seen enough of the other lads to say if they will make it.
        When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Marty Moore would fit in nicely id say.
          Watch this space.
          clowns

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
            Botha like Ross hasnt much more left in him.
            What are you basing this on? Actual performance or are you just going on his age?

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post
              What are you basing this on? Actual performance or are you just going on his age?
              He has two seasons left maybe at a stretch 3.. Relying on props at 35-36 isn't ideal

Comment

Originally posted by Bayern View Post
                He has two seasons left maybe at a stretch 3.. Relying on props at 35-36 isn't ideal
                Mike Ross is doing ok.
                clowns

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post

Age and performances over a season. I'd like to see Moore push ahead of Ross in Leinster or at least half the gametime.
                  Both Ross & Botha are there for what they can do in the tight as they dont really do much around the pitch.
                  Archer does more than Botha around the pitch.
                  When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
                    Marty Moore would fit in nicely id say.
                    Watch this space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPT_20131019_SPO_063_29330479_I1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	2479996

He looks kinda unfit, I'm sure he's not, but thats some belly.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9850[/ATTACH]

He looks kinda unfit, I'm sure he's not, but thats some belly.
                      Ya, I got his Irish Polo shirt after the game in France. Its rather short but big around the waist even for me.
                      It will be interesting to see what he looks after a preseason.
                      Its unreal what the difference in physique they can change over a few months.

Comment

Absolutely Benji, he's young and the more senior games he gets the fitter he'll become. He could be a great prop yet, just like Archer could be.

From our own point of view I think it's who is next in line behind Archie thats key, whether its John Ryan or Dr. Kelly or even Cotter but the day is looming when Archer will be starting 3 and who is his deputy?

I'd have little or no concerns about Archer (injury dependent) I think he has improved steadily season on season and his technique is always improving.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Didn't we have to throw Wian overboard to get an extension for BJ last time? I can't imagine it will be all that easy to get another contract cleared for him. You'd have to hope this is Ryan's year to make the step up. Very frustrating when we have two great options at loose head.
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
                            Mike Ross is doing ok.
                            Ross is 34 currently and has at most this season and next left in him.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                              It will be interesting to see what he looks after a preseason.
                              Its unreal what the difference in physique they can change over a few months.
                              it isnt much different.. thats his body type when carrying so much muscle and weight to be an effective scrummager

Click image for larger version

Name:	898745.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2479997

Comment

Working...
                              X