• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportsground
    replied
    [QUOTE=Munsterboy;1405272]
    Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Not sure where you're getting your stats Wallyman. I was using the 2011 census, which states that Waterford City has a population of 47k, while Limerick has 57k (CSO.ie).

Your being a bit disingenuous here i don't know anyone else who claims that Waterford is the same size as Limerick with a straight face. If you read the other figures in that same CSO table it also says the population of Dublin is 600,000 which is not the case. The population of cities is really the city plus suburbs i.e urban area so the population of Limerick for the electoral role is 102,161 pg.81 http://www.boundarycommittee.ie/reports/2013-Report.pdf and Waterford is 65,928 pg.125

With regards to parish pump politics the notion a town of 65,000 people deserves its own institute of technology,motorway,hospital or international airport when Dublin and Cork are so close is just ludicrous. All these things should be in centers with adequate transport links to allow for economies of scale.
    Last edited by Sportsground; 22nd-August-2014, 09:38.

Leave a comment:

• Mack the Knife
    replied
    [QUOTE=Munsterboy;1405272]
    Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

Not sure where you're getting your stats Wallyman. I was using the 2011 census, which states that Waterford City has a population of 47k, while Limerick has 57k (CSO.ie).

Anyway, my point stands that citing the motorway to Waterford as an example of parish pump politics is just silly. It's the largest urban centre in the south east and like Galway, Cork and Limerick, it needed a good link to Dublin. The old N9 through Kilkenny was a joke for a so-called national route.

I wasn't arguing against the link between Cork and Limerick, just pointing out the hypocrisy. I believe that links between Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford are important if we're to get away from the Dublin centric model that sees house prices in the capital soaring while we still have ghost estates all over the country. There's a similar argument in the UK at the moment over how best to create more links between Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds.

A bit closer to the topic of this thread, it would also mean players could attend training in Limerick and still make those all important spontaneous supermarket appearances in Cork. They might even start popping up in Waterford, God forbid.
    The new metropolitan city had a population around 105,000. CSO figures only include the former Legal city of Limerick which has a smaller land area then Galway and Waterford.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    [QUOTE=Wallyman;1405249]
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Actually Limerick is twice the size of Waterford. Population of 96000 Vs 48000. If you want to include suburbs it's 102,000 Vs 51,000. While I don't begrudge Waterford it's motorway link, the economic development argument you make for Waterford having a motorway to Dublin is the same as for Limerick and Cork having a motorway connection. As T78 said they have 15% of the population (and two international airports) between them (Dublin has 25%) so it's hardly parochial.

Anyway, my point stands that citing the motorway to Waterford as an example of parish pump politics is just silly. It's the largest urban centre in the south east and like Galway, Cork and Limerick, it needed a good link to Dublin. The old N9 through Kilkenny was a joke for a so-called national route.

I wasn't arguing against the link between Cork and Limerick, just pointing out the hypocrisy. I believe that links between Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford are important if we're to get away from the Dublin centric model that sees house prices in the capital soaring while we still have ghost estates all over the country. There's a similar argument in the UK at the moment over how best to create more links between Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds.

A bit closer to the topic of this thread, it would also mean players could attend training in Limerick and still make those all important spontaneous supermarket appearances in Cork. They might even start popping up in Waterford, God forbid.

Leave a comment:

• Wallyman
    replied
    [QUOTE=Munsterboy;1405243]
    Originally posted by Paddytheman View Post
    That was my moan, not TWIB's.

The point I was trying to make was exemplified by your reaction

Your implication was that parish pump politics got a motorway for Waterford. The fact is that Waterford, a city only a little smaller than Limerick, needed a motorway link to encourage economic development. It was a sensible decision, just as the motorways to other major urban centres were sensible decisions. It was a poor example to illustrate your point, hence my reaction.

Waterford, given the lack of investment in preceding years, needed more than it got and as a result is now badly depressed. Much more so than Cork, Limerick or Galway. That's not parochialism, that's just a sad observation.

Your complaints about the lack of a motorway between Cork and Limerick could equally be considered parochial. It's all a matter of perspective.
    Actually Limerick is twice the size of Waterford. Population of 96000 Vs 48000. If you want to include suburbs it's 102,000 Vs 51,000. While I don't begrudge Waterford it's motorway link, the economic development argument you make for Waterford having a motorway to Dublin is the same as for Limerick and Cork having a motorway connection. As T78 said they have 15% of the population (and two international airports) between them (Dublin has 25%) so it's hardly parochial.
    Last edited by Wallyman; 21st-August-2014, 22:59.

Leave a comment:

• NotreDameRFC
    replied
    Originally posted by Bosco View Post
    You must be the only one there that is :P
    Could be worse...could be Gort.

Leave a comment:

• Thomond78
    replied
    Cork and Limerick have, between them, roughly 15% of the population of the State. That's a fair-sized parish.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    [QUOTE=Paddytheman;1405229]That was my moan, not TWIB's.

[It's about the only thing Waterford got during the boom/QUOTE]

Why should Waterford, or any other town "get" anything?

We, as a nation have got to get away from this whole "our town/village deserves a motorway/hospital/university/by pass and I'll vote for the man who gets it for us" mentality. It's no way to run a country and it's what's got us this patchwork, badly thought through, centralised road system, never mind every thing else that's ass backwards in this country.
    Your implication was that parish pump politics got a motorway for Waterford. The fact is that Waterford, a city only a little smaller than Limerick, needed a motorway link to encourage economic development. It was a sensible decision, just as the motorways to other major urban centres were sensible decisions. It was a poor example to illustrate your point, hence my reaction.

Waterford, given the lack of investment in preceding years, needed more than it got and as a result is now badly depressed. Much more so than Cork, Limerick or Galway. That's not parochialism, that's just a sad observation.

Your complaints about the lack of a motorway between Cork and Limerick could equally be considered parochial. It's all a matter of perspective.

Leave a comment:

• munstershane
    replied
    Originally posted by Bosco View Post
    lol. I know a few shams who would beg to differ boss

Leave a comment:

• Paddytheman
    replied
    Driving through Waterford is now worse than ever because, as I stated above, they've created a bottleneck along the quay by taking it down from two lanes in each direction to one.

By the way, your original complaint was that Waterford's motorway was toll free. The bridge is not. What's your moan now?
    That was my moan, not TWIB's.

[QUOTE][It's about the only thing Waterford got during the boom/QUOTE]

Why should Waterford, or any other town "get" anything?

We, as a nation have got to get away from this whole "our town/village deserves a motorway/hospital/university/by pass and I'll vote for the man who gets it for us" mentality. It's no way to run a country and it's what's got us this patchwork, badly thought through, centralised road system, never mind every thing else that's ass backwards in this country.

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Driving through Waterford is now worse than ever because, as I stated above, they've created a bottleneck along the quay by taking it down from two lanes in each direction to one.

By the way, your original complaint was that Waterford's motorway was toll free. The bridge is not. What's your moan now?
    If they'd any sense they would have placed the toll on the M9 not the bridge. Many just avoid it by going through the city centre

Leave a comment:

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    Does anyone know if any motorway was built expecting to be a waste but turned out well?

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied
    Originally posted by munstershane View Post
    I live in Tuam and I'm delighted!

Leave a comment:

• munstershane
    replied
    Originally posted by BigLad View Post
    no motorway between cork and limerick yet in 3 years there will be a motorway between limerick and tuam with a view to a extension to claremorris !
    I live in Tuam and I'm delighted!

Leave a comment:

• HenryFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by deadlyBuzz View Post
    Ah, that's the angle you were coming from... My bad.

Permission to retract?
    Sure.

There's a chance Joe Schmidt will continue his campaign of intolerance against urban black culture. Which might see Simon Zebo involved. The other internationals will be gone.

Leave a comment:

• deadlyBuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
    Consult a calendar. There's this big international rugby tournament that takes place in February and March.

Ah, that's the angle you were coming from... My bad.

Permission to retract?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X