Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Munster Players and Rob Penney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Former Munster Players and Rob Penney

    Been a few articles lately from former Munster players having a pop at the Rob Penney era. David Wallace being the latest in The Score.ie
    Basically saying the tenure was a failure and that Penny took us backwards and so on and so on. Quinny, Frankie and a few others have made similar points recently also. They also all go on to give Axl their blessing of course.....
    should we read something into this??? Was there a bit of tension in the camp for a finish ??
    Last edited by Jackdaniels; 23rd-May-2014, 14:07.

    #2
    Should we read something into this? Probably not. Most of those were pro Axle before Penney was given the gig 2 years ago,no?

    Comment


      #3
      I knwo Taz but considering 90% of the fans think he did a good job, and his fellow coaches voted him Coach of the year.....youd wonder where the negativity stems from? Just seems strange, almost like an agenda at play here?
      All get behind Axl, he is one of us....kinda thing?? But at Robs expense, by poo pooing his reign

      Comment


        #4
        The problem is most of the retired generation still believe that Munster should stay old skool and never evolve or change, Penny tried to bring something fresh, and I think some of the players lacked the skills to execute it and we really lacked a creative midfield. We can't live in the past, and while there is room from "up the jumper" rugby, there is room to play expensive rugby also. Every team has to evolve
        Dont need reason, dont need rhyme,
        Aint nothin I would rather do,
        Goin down, party time,
        My friends are gonna be there too

        I'm on a Highway to Hell ...

        Comment


          #5
          Yesterdays players talking about yesterdays coach. Not really gonna have much impact on Munster in the future so does it matter?

          If someone paid you for your opinion you'd give it, as are former players.
          I am the million man.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Jackdaniels View Post
            Been a few articles lately from former Munster players having a pop at the Rob Penney era. David Wallace being the latest in The Score.ie
            Basically saying the tenure was a failure and that Penny took us backwards and so on and so on. Quinny, Frankie and a few others have made similar points recently also. They also all go on to give Axl their blessing of course.....
            should we read something into this??? Was there a bit of tension in the camp for a finish ??
            When you say "a few", what others? I thought Wallace's was pretty distinct in its open criticism of the approach, and Wallace was never coached by him.

            Woody and others have been pro-Foley, but there hasn't been a tide of attacks on Penney.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

            "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


            "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Jackdaniels View Post
              should we read something into this???
              Yes, yes we should.
              Tis but a scratch.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                When you say "a few", what others? I thought Wallace's was pretty distinct in its open criticism of the approach, and Wallace was never coached by him.

                Woody and others have been pro-Foley, but there hasn't been a tide of attacks on Penney.
                Leamy had a crack off the gameplan earlier in the season too IIRC. However I agree with your point entirely.

                Everybody wanted Munster to win silverware, it didn't happen which is a shame. Case closed.
                I am the million man.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Meh, some of the old guard criticising our approach over the last two years, it's to be expected because our approach was far from perfect. This notion that we should go back to playing the 10 man up the jumper rugby of 2008 is just bonkers though. And tbh I'd prefer if former well known players weren't undermining our young talented backs by doing that.
                  AKA Ugo Monye Spacecraft Experience

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                    When you say "a few", what others? I thought Wallace's was pretty distinct in its open criticism of the approach, and Wallace was never coached by him.

                    Woody and others have been pro-Foley, but there hasn't been a tide of attacks on Penney.
                    Tbf, Wood accused Penney of only being in it for the money, I guess he forgot when he left Munster for money or when he sued the Irfu for money. Wood was right to earn what he could but he was pretty insulting to Penney, imo.
                    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

                    Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Jackdaniels View Post
                      I knwo Taz but considering 90% of the fans think he did a good job, and his fellow coaches voted him Coach of the year.....youd wonder where the negativity stems from? Just seems strange, almost like an agenda at play here?
                      All get behind Axl, he is one of us....kinda thing?? But at Robs expense, by poo pooing his reign

                      90% How do you make that one out?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I heard he didnt stand a round of drinks, bad form really.
                        My computer thinks I'm gay
                        What's the difference anyway
                        When all the people do all day
                        Is stare into a phone

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by JoeyFantastic View Post
                          Tbf, Wood accused Penney of only being in it for the money, I guess he forgot when he left Munster for money or when he sued the Irfu for money. Wood was right to earn what he could but he was pretty insulting to Penney, imo.

                          I'd be no fan of Wood, but, when did he accuse Penney of being in it for the money only? Aside from that, Woodie is never impartial when speaking of Axel and really does him no favour sometimes.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by fishooks12 View Post
                            Meh, some of the old guard criticising our approach over the last two years, it's to be expected because our approach was far from perfect. This notion that we should go back to playing the 10 man up the jumper rugby of 2008 is just bonkers though. And tbh I'd prefer if former well known players weren't undermining our young talented backs by doing that.
                            They have not said go back to playing 10 man rugby though. They have looked for smart rugby and earning chances for backs to utilise good ball from a platform created by forwards. There's a big difference.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Burgers View Post
                              I'd be no fan of Wood, but, when did he accuse Penney of being in it for the money only? Aside from that, Woodie is never impartial when speaking of Axel and really does him no favour sometimes.
                              Newstalk iirc?

                              Wood lost it when he moaned about gatland dropping bod, he's been awful ever since.
                              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

                              Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X