When will it stop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will it stop?

Last season, the night before the HCup Quarter Final, Rob Penney apologised for the recent poor performances against Treviso, Scarlets, the Blues and Glasgow.

Two HCup semi final defeats later, we are now on the verge of a season defining match away to Glasgow (when for the majority of the season a home semi-final looked a reasonable expectation). Recent performances have been abject.

The time for apologies is gone. Just like the current coach. The players need to deliver a performance, against an eminently beatable Glasgow.

One of the best things about rugby is that coaches are a relatively new innovation (i.e. it was only in the 1970's coaches were even considered a prerequisite to a successful team). On the field, key decision makers, like Hooker, No.8, Scrum Half, Out Half and Full Back can change the course of the game, regardless of the coach.

One of the most compelling things about Munster rugby is that our players (and Axel is a brilliant example of this) were well drilled in smart/winning rugby. The mindset was right from kick off and the right decisions were taken, whether it was a prop at first receiver or a center joining a ruck.

I look at players like Sherry, Kilcoyne, O'Mahony, Coughlan, Butler, Murray, JJ, Keatley, O'Dea, Earls, Zebo, Sheridan, Williams, Hurley and Dineen and I can see that fundamentally sound rugby instinct that will always give us a chance, even if our budget is a basis point compared with the French and English clubs.

I refuse to accept abject performances as being acceptable because of a public act of contrition. If I keep making a mistake, or delivering inappropriate behaviour, my boss will sack me. There is no reason why this honest approach should not apply to the team I love.

Our readiness to slip into inept performances and not arrest that slide must stop. Now.

SUAF.

GWAN MUNSTER.

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
    Last season, the night before the HCup Quarter Final, Rob Penney apologised for the recent poor performances against Treviso, Scarlets, the Blues and Glasgow.

Two HCup semi final defeats later, we are now on the verge of a season defining match away to Glasgow (when for the majority of the season a home semi-final looked a reasonable expectation). Recent performances have been abject.

The time for apologies is gone. Just like the current coach. The players need to deliver a performance, against an eminently beatable Glasgow.

One of the best things about rugby is that coaches are a relatively new innovation (i.e. it was only in the 1970's coaches were even considered a prerequisite to a successful team). On the field, key decision makers, like Hooker, No.8, Scrum Half, Out Half and Full Back can change the course of the game, regardless of the coach.

One of the most compelling things about Munster rugby is that our players (and Axel is a brilliant example of this) were well drilled in smart/winning rugby. The mindset was right from kick off and the right decisions were taken, whether it was a prop at first receiver or a center joining a ruck.

I look at players like Sherry, Kilcoyne, O'Mahony, Coughlan, Butler, Murray, JJ, Keatley, O'Dea, Earls, Zebo, Sheridan, Williams, Hurley and Dineen and I can see that fundamentally sound rugby instinct that will always give us a chance, even if our budget is a basis point compared with the French and English clubs.

I refuse to accept abject performances as being acceptable because of a public act of contrition. If I keep making a mistake, or delivering inappropriate behaviour, my boss will sack me. There is no reason why this honest approach should not apply to the team I love.

Our readiness to slip into inept performances and not arrest that slide must stop. Now.

SUAF.

GWAN MUNSTER.
    Well said LM

For large tracts of the season however RP has appeared to be unwilling at least to drop some poor performing players

Fully agree with the key decision makers in the spine of the side. But when you trot out most weeks with some substandard players in some of those slots, can we really be surprised?

I'm well fed up with "Ah he's better this season etc." You're either good enough or you're not. Some have had far to long to demonstrate their worth without delivering.
    Con Artist

Comment

Of course everybody prefer to win, but whatever win or lose they have to SUAF. Lose a home game is a very disapointed point. Two in a row worst at all but if everything is done I couldnt blame them.
      They have to protect their field, our field.
      After the two last home games, our lads have to do better. Really.
      And they will do. Glasgow is a strong team but we won first leg away in Scotstoun. At last our players have to do a revenge for us, for them. This game could pay a brilliant season. This game determine already next.
      GWAN.

ps : for those who journey, be safe, be loud : BE MUNSTER !

Comment

No doubt the last month has been desperately disappointing, especially because of some of the performances but you have to look at the season as a whole. We lost six games out of 22 and led the table for a long time. We lost one more game than the eventual table toppers, who narrowly beat us in their home ground in a game that could easily have turned the other way. We advanced further in HEC than any of our rivals, and narrowly lost to the French league leaders essentially playing at home.
        Some of our recent defeats have been hard to stomach but if they had happened earlier in the season we might feel differently
        I'd prefer to postpone judgement on this season until tomorrow. Glasgow are the more consistent team no doubt but I think we're still the team for the big occasion.

Comment

Tis judgment time baby
          Con Artist

Comment

It just stopped.
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
              It just stopped.
              We were a lot better than last week but that is not saying much.

Overall I thought we were still poor.No leadership, poor game management, a lack of basic skills, far too much over and back across the field instead of going forward and first receivers standing 10 metres behind the gain line all night long.
              Last edited by glorob; 16th-May-2014, 22:34.

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                We were a lot better than last week but that is not saying much.

Overall I thought we were still poor.No leadership, poor game management, a lack of basis skills, far too much over and back across the field instead of going forward and first receivers standing 10 metres behind the gain line all night long.
                Can't argue with any of that
                Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                  ....first receivers standing 10 metres behind the gain line all night long.
                  Where should they stand exactly?
                  Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                  Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                    Where should they stand exactly?
                    Keatley could have run onto a few passes & got the ball flat & then try to get over the gain line which would have committed a couple of defenders, before a 2nd phase attack.

Comment

It will be intersting what crap Penney comes out with in the press after the match and Munster fans agreeing with him

Comment

Individually fantastic backline players,Zebo,Earls,Keatley,JJH,Conway but together they seem to be 'Mannixed'.
                        Last thing id do is blame a coach but you'd have to wonder WTF is going on.
                        clowns

Comment

Well, it ain't going on too much longer, Barley.

Still sorry to see Penney being let go (by being offered only a 1, year deal), but delighted to see the back of mannix. Jeez he had Munsters backline playing some ****ty and ineffective rugby at times, watching them as a supporter was like watching your teeth being pulled out, enthralling, gut churning and excruciatingly painful. There was a move in the last 10 minutes of the match today when Munster were chasing the game and really needed to hang onto the ball through many , many phases, so that they could finally get Glasgow on the ropes& get a try from play against them to win maybe. Instead Munster ran it wide from their 22, got into the wide channels 2 v 2 , & let themselves get run into touch. Munster practically excommunicate any forward for any turnover, and rightfully so cos turnovers often decide tight games, but Munster throw intercepts and get run into touch in the last 10 minutes of a must win game, and it's just par for the course. Munster's back play & ball retention out wide were pathetic, truly pathetic. They tried, but Glasgow deserved it, cos Munster were clueless out wide and Glasgow were simply better.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

How did this work out? A Penney for your thoughts...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                              How did this work out? A Penney for your thoughts...
                              Please crawl back under that rock of yours Leo like a good kid. I think the only thread you haven't commented on tonight is the one to discuss your own team. Shows you up to be the clown that you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X