This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The IRFU Vendetta Against Munster Rugby

We all know that Munster rugby has never been popular with the D4 aristocrates of Irish Rugby but a number of events in the last few years and particularly today's announcement that Rolland is refereeing our derby on Saturday means there can be no doubt that Munster are deliberately disadvantaged at almost every turn by the high brass at the IRFU.

It started in 2009. Munster were in the driving seat to another HC success when the IRFU demanded that what should have been a home game for Munster was to be moved to Leinster's home city. We all know how important an away/home game is for qualification and the IRFU were hoping that Leinster would take advantage of this opportunity. Leinster's funding in that year was incredible. They signed world class players like Rocky Elsom, Isa Nacewa, CJ Van de Linde and Nathan Hines while the other provinces looked on. It was clear the teacher had picked its favourite pet, and it wasnt Munster.

Then, the IRFU brought in the best coach in the world. Not for Munster who had to settle for an assistant manager after losing our greatest ever coach to the national team, but for Leinster. The IRFU knew that Schmidt would make Leinster the powerhouse they became and there was no way they were going to pick him up for Munster. Leinster added to their galactico list, Heinke Van Der Merwe, Brad Thorn, Richardt Strauss, Isaac Boss to name a few. Imagine, the IRFU paid hundreds of thousands to bring in a superstar like Brad Thorn for the tail end of the season to essentially ensure that Leinster won the Heineken Cup.

While Munster's team aged and players retired still no funding was coming from the IRFU. Still Munster could not sign players of the quality of Nacewa, Hines, Rocky Elson, Brad Thorn. Instead money that should have been used to rebuild Munster was spent on getting Leinster a world class coach and a number of galacticos that would further push Leinster to the top of Irish rugby and leave Munster struggling for the second spot with Ulster.

Then it happens. Joe Schmidt gets the Ireland job and the IRFU masterplan is complete. Suddenly there is 16 Leinster players in the 23. Gaining unparalleled experience and improving every day in the test arena. Suddenly young Leinster back up players believed they were top class internationals, and trophy winning ones at that. You cannot begin to estimate how valuable that will be to their development.

And yet, from the ashes Munster came back. And now, when, for the first time in years Munster actually look like they have the beating of Leinster, the IRFU have placed a former LEINSTER player as the referee.

Enough is enough

It was going well until you mentioned Boss.
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Shut.
      The.
      Front.
      Door!
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

It's interesting. For decades Irish rugby was systematically structured to marginalise Munster rugby to the benefit of Leinster and Ulster, fewer selectors, fewer internationals, etc, and yet you've pinpointed 2009 as the year where the vendetta really got serious.

Comment

this must be some Planet Rugby blow-in..?
          quick and easy ignore button option....
          He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Jebus, Scoop Thats some load of s***e your after posting. Do you believe that or is that a debating topic gone mad?

The Irfu head people while the head office is based in Dublin is made up of people from all over the country. Not just Leinster people.

Nacewa was a shrewd and great signing. He wasnt really on the radar when he arrived and didnt start off too great. He settled down and probably was Leinster best foreign signing with Felipe. (Did you forget him= Amend your debate note. )

Hines. Another shrewd operator was a great signing. He was a workhorse and a tough nut to go with it. He turned out to be a great signing for second row. But again their has been a few turkeys signed around that period. Cameron Dancefloor Jowitt, Lets not forget pension fund Owen Finnegan.

Brad, Wouldnt have been a signing I'd have liked at the time but he did help them win that year. Good point.

Twinkle toes Van De Linde. If he was paid by the minutes he played he would have starved to death. He was a disaster fitness wise and wasnt a great signing.

Rocky, needed to get away from Oz and play abroad at the time and Leinster suited him. I think he was great in that heineken cup winning year but he hasnt been as good since and has been ravaged by injury. He wasnt mad money.

Leinster Like Munster and Ulster have all made big signing over the years.
            Munster had some big ones De Villiers , Cullen Former all Black, Casey LLl(FORMER ALL BLACK), BJ Botha (Paid to switch from Ulster) Nick Williams

Munster have made some poor signing like Leinster over the years but I dont think they have been as good in the market. Strauss went to Leinster without a great reputation. and the following year after a good preseason he had a great season. He was a project player like C.J Stander who hasnt developed as well.

Strauss, Nacewa, and Stan Wright werent really known but turned out to be great signings.
            I dont think Munster have had the same luck on their gambles in the market.
            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

This guys history suggests WUM
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

What a great thread. Many thanks
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

The Scoop should write for any of our National Daily Broadsheets . . . . .their daily publications are about on a par with that piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                    Jebus, Scoop Thats some load of s***e your after posting. Do you believe that or is that a debating topic gone mad?

The Irfu head people while the head office is based in Dublin is made up of people from all over the country. Not just Leinster people.

Nacewa was a shrewd and great signing. He wasnt really on the radar when he arrived and didnt start off too great. He settled down and probably was Leinster best foreign signing with Felipe. (Did you forget him= Amend your debate note. )

Hines. Another shrewd operator was a great signing. He was a workhorse and a tough nut to go with it. He turned out to be a great signing for second row. But again their has been a few turkeys signed around that period. Cameron Dancefloor Jowitt, Lets not forget pension fund Owen Finnegan.

Brad, Wouldnt have been a signing I'd have liked at the time but he did help them win that year. Good point.

Twinkle toes Van De Linde. If he was paid by the minutes he played he would have starved to death. He was a disaster fitness wise and wasnt a great signing.

Rocky, needed to get away from Oz and play abroad at the time and Leinster suited him. I think he was great in that heineken cup winning year but he hasnt been as good since and has been ravaged by injury. He wasnt mad money.

Leinster Like Munster and Ulster have all made big signing over the years.
                    Munster had some big ones De Villiers , Cullen Former all Black, Casey LLl(FORMER ALL BLACK), BJ Botha (Paid to switch from Ulster) Nick Williams

Munster have made some poor signing like Leinster over the years but I dont think they have been as good in the market. Strauss went to Leinster without a great reputation. and the following year after a good preseason he had a great season. He was a project player like C.J Stander who hasnt developed as well.

Strauss, Nacewa, and Stan Wright werent really known but turned out to be great signings.
                    I dont think Munster have had the same luck on their gambles in the market.
                    Are you actually comparing Nick Williams and Casey Lualala to Brad Thorn and Rocky Elsom?

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                      This guys history suggests WUM
                      I'm not winding anyone up, just saying what A LOT of people are thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by TheScoop View Post
                        I'm not one of those people, anyone else one those people?
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                          I'm not one of those people, anyone else one those people?
                          not me
                          Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by TheScoop View Post
                            There is so much spoofing in your opening post, I think a ban is in order.

Comment

Maybe Leinster have just been better than us for the past few years?

Comment

Working...
                              X