Rugby the Christchurch way.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rugby the Christchurch way.

On holidays in Christchurch and went to the Crusaders v Chiefs game. "Entertainment" taken to the highest degree, not what we are used to, (or want?). Ball had to go wide even from poorly defended line-outs, seven kicks at goal missed, three tackles missed for Chiefs try. I can just imagine the old timers choking on their beer.
    For pictures and more from the game, click here.

Originally posted by lanchul View Post
    On holidays in Christchurch and went to the Crusaders v Chiefs game. "Entertainment" taken to the highest degree, not what we are used to, (or want?). Ball had to go wide even from poorly defended line-outs, seven kicks at goal missed, three tackles missed for Chiefs try. I can just imagine the old timers choking on their beer.
    Yes, the phenomenon that is New Zealand super 15 club rugby..... How can a group of teams be so flaky and the public so disinterested in a country where; a) rugby is the number 1 sport and; b) the international team is anything but flaky!?

It's the BOK franchises which keep super 15 alive and they probably wish they were playing somewhere else if we are honest.

Comment

Originally posted by supiebrian View Post
      Yes, the phenomenon that is New Zealand super 15 club rugby..... How can a group of teams be so flaky and the public so disinterested in a country where; a) rugby is the number 1 sport and; b) the international team is anything but flaky!?

It's the BOK franchises which keep super 15 alive and they probably wish they were playing somewhere else if we are honest.
      Disagree with that. The Kiwis are rugby mad, christchurch has a population not far off cork and still managed to pull 20k plus for most home games when i lived over there. The chiefs crusaders game semi last year was played at as high a level as the best HEC matches and the basic skill levels of players are a notch above anything we have in europe too.

Comment

Originally posted by supiebrian View Post

I'd agree with some of what you say. Their skill levels are very high but the brand of rugby is just completely different to up here. Watch the Highlanders vs Chiefs from last year. I honestly can't remeber a single ruck akin to European rugby. That game just stands out to me. It was played at a mad pace. I don't think the public are so disinterested in it to be honest.
        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

And what of the quality of gurning down there?

Comment

Originally posted by Thorns View Post
            And what of the quality of gurning down there?
            Truth be told, it's poor enough. Problem is they use it all up at the Morris dance and wear their faces out as a result.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by wellboy View Post
              Disagree with that. The Kiwis are rugby mad, christchurch has a population not far off cork and still managed to pull 20k plus for most home games when i lived over there. The chiefs crusaders game semi last year was played at as high a level as the best HEC matches and the basic skill levels of players are a notch above anything we have in europe too.
              Maybe it's because we were in the cheap seats behind the eastern goalposts, but there was a constant stream out to the bar, stopping for a chat on the way back, (enough to get you killed in Thomond LOL). A lot of the people around me talking about anything but rugby. At one stage I remember shouting, "straighten, straighten, straighten", as once again Crusaders went wide and ignored gaps close in and I got a funny look from a supporter near me. Hope to get to the Stormers game on the 8th of March before heading back, and will look for better tickets. The games do sell out, but bear in mind even Scotland can create a winning drop goal from reasonable position and possession.
              Great experience though.

Comment

Originally posted by lanchul View Post
                I was shocked watching that game at how bad some of it was. I called it awful on the S 15 Thread.

Comment

Working...
                X