Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POC and Kimmage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    POC and Kimmage

    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-30013576.html

    Presume Kimmage looking for book deal given some of questions. Fairly bland but interesting all the same

    #2
    Thought that was an interesting read. Kimmage is one spikey individual.

    Comment


      #3
      Good read though Kimmage is being an arse at times. Definitely angling for the book though.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
        Good read though Kimmage is being an arse at times. Definitely angling for the book though.
        I got that impression also. A third of the interview was fishing about BOD which was bloody annoying.

        Few good insights from POC
        "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

        Comment


          #5
          Kimmage is a sports writer with ideas above his ability - his so-called psychological insights have all of the sagacity of Dubyas statement that he had looked into Putins eyes and had a sense of his soul. That kind of blather. He is possessed of the curse of the S Times sports writers of the big name, in believing he can write authoritatively on all sports - see Walsh, David - and he cannot, beyond the world of cycling where he has done good work. One of BODs few enough mistakes, apart from that blond thing with the hair and GG, was his decision to engage PK as ghostwriter, not knowing that the book would ultimately as always be 'The Kimmage Story - the BOD Years'. POC will not fall for that nonsense and his trip down to Limerick was POCs quiet and understated way of imposing boundaries on PK, seeing him correctly as trying to get at BOD via another door. The wedding comment was nicely nuanced by POC.

          Comment


            #6
            Why did O'Driscoll not attend O'Connell's wedding? Kimmage, reading between the lines, was hinting at something all the way through the O'Driscoll segment.

            Not a great piece overall if I am brutally honest, fairly bland. Every Peter Clohessy anecdote has been done to death many times over at this stage.

            Comment


              #7
              I thought it was a pretty good read but hey thats just an opinion, as an ex ard scoil pupil myself it was nice to see POC giving credit to Dessie Harty and Young Munster , good to remember the old school roots
              My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

              Comment


                #8
                Not sure Kimmage understands the personality of rugby. His own background is in a selfish sport(akin to golf) but what imo what makes a fella like Paulie really tick is what can be achieved as a member of a collective.

                Plus, the questions half read as accusatory in tone. I can't say I enjoyed it nor does it read like either particpant in the interview did either.
                I am the million man.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Paulie has always maintained golf and swimming were his first love, if anything cycling is a lot more of a team sport than either of those two. From the interview it seems he wasn't hitting ten under scores or burning up the pool as easily as he was impressing at rugby
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by sewa View Post
                    Paulie has always maintained golf and swimming were his first love, if anything cycling is a lot more of a team sport than either of those two. From the interview it seems he wasn't hitting ten under scores or burning up the pool as easily as he was impressing at rugby
                    I reckon he could have been an olympic level swimmer in terms of physique but you have to have a certain mindset to cope with the training. It is so bloody boring and endless. Dunno about the golf though.
                    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Thought it was a rubbish interview to be honest. The opening monologue would have you believe you were about to read something mind-blowing. POC didn't give much at all and to be fair Kimmage didn't look properly either. The Caldwell incident was the only eye opener. 'I had a great summer', 'West Clare yada yada yada', 'Claw smoking beside me'...I presume the 'David Moyes is my sporting hero' was a piss take??? If not...
                      \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                      Dalai Lama

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by John123 View Post
                        Thought it was a rubbish interview to be honest. The opening monologue would have you believe you were about to read something mind-blowing. POC didn't give much at all and to be fair Kimmage didn't look properly either. The Caldwell incident was the only eye opener. 'I had a great summer', 'West Clare yada yada yada', 'Claw smoking beside me'...I presume the 'David Moyes is my sporting hero' was a piss take??? If not...
                        POC is an Everton fan AFAIK so th Moyes thing may or may not be a pisstake.
                        \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

                        \"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

                        I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Swimming is definitely a sport that demands a certain mindset lap after lap of a pool is a massive mental challenge. Our gain is everyone else's loss!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by bosh12 View Post
                            http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-30013576.html

                            Presume Kimmage looking for book deal given some of questions. Fairly bland but interesting all the same
                            POC's book has been underway for the last 2 years, so that ain't the goal.

                            Kimmage needs interviews with big names to appease his ego, but all this did was rehash old guff. He'd be better off writing well researched longer articles more suited to magazines than Papers. Cutting words kills his flow.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Sorry wasn't aware POC had book on the go! Any idea who ghost writer is?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X