Peter O'Mahony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter O'Mahony

I know, I know, was there really a need to start a new topic. No probably not.
    But please, can we all take a moment to appreciate this man on how good of a player he has become and just how far he has progressed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	omahonytry.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	2497501

He is for me at the moment (alongside POC) our most important player.

He's a long way to go and hopefully a very long career ahead of him, but look at what he's accomplished already at such a young age.
    Captain's Munster at the age of 23 (who does that).
    Captains Ireland at 23 on the Summer tour.
    MOTM on his first Heineken Cup match against Northampton in that famous 140 odd phases, .
    The list goes on.

He was immense, again, this time against Wales, moves into the second row, and his performance didn't decline. He was just incredible.

Without getting carried (further) away....

He is fast becoming one of the best back rows in Europe.
    He is such a natural leader as well, which you can't really teach, you either have it or you don't and he has it in abundance.
    He's a monster and he has something else, something extra that can't really be described.
    His passion is second to none.
    He just has this recklessness nature about him where he'll throw himself into anything without a care in the world for himself.
    He is a phenomenal talent and I look forward to seeing him hopefully grow and improve as the years go on. If he stays injury free (touch wood) and keeps working this hard and playing this well, you can only imagine what he'll be like in the years to come.

I've watched this a good few times now and it never gets old. He is so out of tune it's hilarious but he really couldn't care less, he's giving it 110% just like the way he approaches the game.

"You can never underestimate the passion that any Munster player brings to a side. He definitely demonstrates that, when he sings the national anthem and he wears his heart on his sleeve."
    Gatland on O'Mahony.

Honestly, after Wally I never thought I'd feel this way about a player so soon, but he has just risen up and been exceptional. My heart still breaks over Wally but POM is slowly helping it heal.

And most importantly..he's from Cork. What's not to love.

POM, I salute you.
    Last edited by Stringer9; 12th-February-2014, 10:44.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Peter for The Voice of Ireland !!

Comment

Originally posted by mac22 View Post
      Peter for The Voice of Ireland !!
      Have watched it a few times on the rte player too, the Second Captains were talking it about it a lot,
      it's f&€king brilliant!
      When you see some players not singing, the lad is inspirational, of course if he wasn't playing so well,
      this would be less impressive, future Ireland captain in the making
      Hip Flasks at the ready, double for a Stringer ankle tap!

Comment

Stringer9 you disappoint me.
        You forgot to mention he has the same first name as your hero.
        Life is good

Comment

''He is for me at the moment (alongside POC and Murray) our most important player''.

Note the small change I made...everything else though bang on.
          \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
          Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
            Stringer9 you disappoint me.
            You forgot to mention he has the same first name as your hero.
            I thought about it, I did, but I thought it would have put it over the top just a little bit.

Would probably have brought it to fan-girling and we can't be having that.
            The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/PeterOMahon...oor?ref=stream

His new facebook appreciation page.
              Definition of Insanity. Playing the same game plan over and over again expecting a different result.

Comment

Whiff of Cordite: We need to talk about POM

The Munster blindside (openside, number eight, lock and wing) has divided opinion in the past, but now looks to have refined his game.

Thu 12:00 PM 9,067 Views 27 Comments Share5 Tweet13 Email24

Image: ©INPHO/Morgan Treacy
                Reproduced with permission from Whiff Of Cordite
                THE WHIFF OF Cordite equivalent of Godwin’s Law involves a certain divisive backrow forward from Cork – whatever we post on, it’s virtually inevitable that the comments box will descend into a debate about Peter O’Mahony.
                While his defenders saw him as a skillful and athletic lineout forward, his detractors saw an argument-fond workshy show pony. We considered him an excellent lineout merchant, a good open field runner with skillful hands who clearly offers leadership possibilities, but one whose tackling is poor and desire for snarling too high – if he met his potential he could be be Ireland’s Tom Croft or Imanol Harinordoquoy, and if not, our Jonathan Thomas.
                To further confuse the already-muddied water, his media street team (who were numerous) constantly cited his workrate, bravery and inability to take a backward step. Whatever you think about him, none of those are his strengths. His simply is not David Wallace, no matter what Conor George wanted, and the terms of the debate were just far too fluid to have a sensible conversation about it. And it still persists – Cummiskey in the Irish Times seemed to think he won man of the match in the Wales game for getting into two fights, which, to our eyes, simply didn’t happen.
                We talked about his ‘Good Face’ in the past, but it’s now arguable that the ridiculous media narrative around him hs now gone full circle to the point where it almost undersells his ability. Munster pishun, fighting, bravery? It’ll get you so far, but what about the jackalling technique and brilliant handling ability? Those things require, y’know, talent, right? Credit to the Second Captains for cutting through the BS and jokingly talking about ‘Brand O’Mahony’ and how his ‘entourage’ would be in his ear, telling him to shout out the anthems tunelessly and loudly and to celebrate turnovers as if they were a try to enhance it.
                IrelandÕs team line up for the national anthems Peter O'Mahony
                Source: ©INPHO/Billy Stickland
                The first two rounds of the Six Nations have marked the true international arrival of Peter O’Mahony, in his 20th and 21st caps. His first couple of seasons on the international scene corresponded with Ireland’s worst run since the 1990s, with the deepening crisis at the tail end of Deccie’s time in charge impacting all areas of the team. His first three starts were in three different positions, and the backrow unit rarely functioned well in the fag-end of the Deccie era. The team was used to the beef and skill of Fez and Wally, and O’Mahony was a completely different player – he wasn’t integrated at all well into the XV and not only did he rarely shine, but Jamie Heaslip’s performances went down a level as roles shifted.
                That’s not to say he didn’t have his moments, and there was the odd good day amid the gloom, notably the draw at home to France (of which we performed an in depth analysis and found the backrow all showed up well, each man got through a pile of work, and O’Mahony did best – apart from Steve Walsh *swoon*). It’s worth remembering that in that game Peter O’Mahony’s standout contributions were a couple of brilliant ruck turnovers as opposed to big runs in wide channels. Sound familiar? But it’s hard for anyone, let alone a rookie backrow only learning the international game, to look consistently good when the team is going nowhere and doesn’t look like it knows what it’s doing.
                With the arrival of the Milky Bar Kid, O’Mahony has now a defined place in the team – positioned much closer to rucks, his breakdown work has formed the platform of Ireland’s success. He carries much less, and still isn’t a great tackler in either frequency or impact (he has notoriously never reached double figures in a test, but we don’t think this is as important as it is sometimes made out to be – in this Championship, he has kept pace with Henry and Heaslip’s numbers, which will do us). He has been simply brilliant, probably our best player, and has stepped into a lieutenant role in the team. As captain for Munster this year, he has improved on the field in both play and conduct and it seems to bring out the best in him.
                Equally noticeable was his discipline – the shirt-grabbing rabble-rouser has been replaced by a focused and cold-eyed professional. Wales continually tried to rile him on Saturday but he never wavered once, concentrating instead on winning the game.
                He seemed… coached, odd as it might sound.
                Peter O'Mahony
                Source: ©INPHO/Billy Stickland

The only moment when the old O’Mahony resurfaced was when he almost talked himself into a sin-binning when Barnes had assumed his punctilious hat. [O'Connell was off the pitch at this point, with Heaslip assuming captaincy duties, and he probably should have smelt the danger and made himself present at the little chat and gagged O'Mahony.]
                Twelve months ago, we still thought his place in the team was in question, but right now he should be forming the backbone of our team through to RWC19 – heck, even Leinsterlion has conceded that he’s at least average. The backrow unit has improved beyond all recognition, yet it’s best player, possibly best two players, are out injured.
                The game in Twickenham represents another great opportunity for O’Mahony to do his feet-planted-in-the-ground-bent-over-the-ball thing, as England lack a dedicated fetcher and rely on two six-and-a-halves in Robshaw and Wood to divvy up breakdown duties. He’ll need to watch out for Dan Cole, though, who is a hell of a clearer-outer. The rangy No.6 being dragged up from the ruck while the referee’s arm lifts to the sky in Ireland’s direction is fast becoming our favourite sight of the Six Nations.
                And did you know this little discussed fact: he once played on the wing in an AIL final. Fancy that!
                "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Whiff of cordite tends to have a significant whiff of ****e about it a lot if the time. It's very pro Leinster and Ulster and not very Munster friendly. I think the 2 main contributors are Ulster and Leinster supporters. Impartiality is rare there.
                  "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Yeah I foolishly went to the post and read the comments about it. I wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by masterchief View Post
                      Whiff of cordite tends to have a significant whiff of ****e about it a lot if the time. It's very pro Leinster and Ulster and not very Munster friendly. I think the 2 main contributors are Ulster and Leinster supporters. Impartiality is rare there.

Agreed, even an article praising POM makes sure to point our every apparent weakness in his game too

It's a ridiculous piece that seems to suggest he's only after putting in his first decent performances in green this year when he was our best player bar SOB in last years six nations and head and shoulders above the rest in the US

The comparison to Tom Croft is nothing but waffle too. Croft is a good player but I've never seen him rob ball like POM can

POM is to Leinster fans what Heaslip is to Munster fans.
                      AKA Ugo Monye Spacecraft Experience

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                        Whiff of Cordite: We need to talk about POM

We were talking through our hoop all along, and there's no way we can avoid facing up to it now.
                        There. Saved them about 1,000 words, there. The value of a good editor, eh?
                        Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

The thing that pisses me off most is that a lot of people seem to consider him a stop gap at 6. The ignorance of some would astound you at times.

Comment

Originally posted by TomsOnTheRoof View Post
                            The thing that pisses me off most is that a lot of people seem to consider him a stop gap at 6. The ignorance of some would astound you at times.

It always amuses me when you hear people say "sure when Ferris gets back POM will be on the bench"

This is the same Ferris who hasn't played rugby at all for over two years. Undoubtedly world class but there's no guarantee if he'll come back and in what condition after such a long layoff
                            AKA Ugo Monye Spacecraft Experience

Comment

Originally posted by fishooks12 View Post
                              It always amuses me when you hear people say "sure when Ferris gets back POM will be on the bench"

This is the same Ferris who hasn't played rugby at all for over two years. Undoubtedly world class but there's no guarantee if he'll come back and in what condition after such a long layoff
                              Ferris is a pretty good player alright but he gets better and better with every match he's out injured for.
                              Shameless self promotion time ladies and gents!
                              Munster: Early Season
                              Munster: Escape from Pool of Death
                              Munster: HEC Champions 2007/2008
                              Munster: Full Season Highlights.

Comment

Working...
                              X