Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    Not as enjoyable as beating france.
    I suspect that's partly because we've grown accustomed to beating the English, even away from home.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Partly but mostly because the first ever game of rugby I watched was dricos hat trick against them. I was introduced to rugby by a bunch of french mates and right up until the 3 rd try they had been rather patronising. I've been hooked ever since
      The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
        I suspect that's partly because we've grown accustomed to beating the English, even away from home.
        Hunger is the sweetest sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
          Partly but mostly because the first ever game of rugby I watched was dricos hat trick against them. I was introduced to rugby by a bunch of french mates and right up until the 3 rd try they had been rather patronising. I've been hooked ever since
          I have a slightly more confused set of priorities. I love winning against the French, but not as much as I hate losing to the English.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

6 Nations Hands Down.

For the sunny spring Saturdays, for the fact its test rugby, for the memories of it as THE rugby comp as a young lad etc

Comment

I don't think the two tournaments can be compared fairly. HEC is a club competition, with 6N at a higher standard.

I've had a lot more enjoyment over the years from the HEC though. I feel it's way more personally involving.
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

I would of course support Ireland, and during the 80s to early 00s, I would go to as many internationals as I could, home or away. However I find the conviviality of HC far better, especially away matches. There is far less crap, like anthems that few support.

Comment

This poll oughta be taxed imoho
                  Gwan Joe!!

Comment

A poll tax? That would never catch on shirley
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

I think the rarity of Irish success makes those days all the sweeter. Winning in twickenham , Rog drop goal to win GS ,w Ferris dwarf throwing Genia in RWC and that edge of seat stuff and utter disappointment of losing to NZ.
                      I agree Munster hcup games are more personal (as JCC pointed out) but its when our national team plays in of those memorable days .., those are days that rugby as a sport electrifies the nation.
                      "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Head and heart can be conflicted a bit on this one. What's local tugs at the heartstrings with more urgency. What's local may very well win a larger share of my wallet to use morkeshing speak. But the 6N will always be the top tournament for me, with provincial efforts feeding up into it. And I hope that never changes, because if it does then we have gone down a road which certain French and English moneymen are building and laying out in front of us with sweet nothings whispered about four lane, congestion free, state of the art modern services, toll-free passage etc, etc.

Everything has a price, but not everything needs to be bought just because it's being sold.

A HEC win is perhaps more visceral than a 6N - but in the cold light of day, the 6N win should edge it in the satisfaction stakes because it means Irish rugby and not just rugby in one province, is on the up.

I'll take that any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                          A poll tax? That would never catch on shirley
                          Twouldn't be a matter of choice.
                          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Haven't read through the whole thread. I voted for the Heineken cup because I think the format is more exciting. However I do enjoy a good six nations, it is just we haven't had one of those for a while. Fortunately we can enjoy both tournaments although the risk of injury to the Munster lads can temper that enjoyment sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                              Haven't read through the whole thread. I voted for the Heineken cup because I think the format is more exciting. However I do enjoy a good six nations, it is just we haven't had one of those for a while.
                              I thought the best 6n's recently have been 2013, 2012, 2008 and 2005.
                              The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                              Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Originally posted by Huwie View Post
                                I thought the best 6n's recently have been 2013, 2012, 2008 and 2005.
                                You would!?!? They didn't do a great deal for me. 2008 wasn't a bad year though.

Comment

Working...
                                X