Players of the past..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero View Post
    I think Wallace's 'problem' was not a 'problem' in the traditional sense of something being wrong but that because was literally SO athletically superior to other players that openside, a position traditionally built so sleighter and perhaps slyer men, that Wallace was viewed by some to be a more obvious candidate for 6/8 hence when coupled with media ballsocks this whole idea got legs. It also was probably because at times moving Wallace to 6 or 8 to accomodate a player inferior to Wallace but perhaps better than whomsoever was at 6 or 8 might have made a bit of sense.

Wallace will, certainly for the forseeable future, be regarded as the best Irish backrower of all time. Physically unmatched even by the likes of O'Brien today he did things that just really defied expectation and reality. Wallace made consistent metres in even the tightest of spaces, he made his own tackles and then some and until he was cruelly injured prior to the RWC was still physically freakish approaching his mid-30's. His durability between probably 2005-2011 was also mightily impressive considering the attrition rate of backrowers and how he played the game.
    And that from a Nordie! Fair play RHH.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Weetabix View Post
      On the topic of past players, is that Chabal at the back of the scrum? was he the most over-rated player to ever don a French jersey? I never once remember the guy putting in a top 80 minutes in a pressure game. Sure he puts in tackles that make highlight reels in rugbydump, but when the pressure was on you could always count on Chabal losing his bottle.

Wally, what a legend

In terms of sheer insanity and dying for the cause I miss THE FLA
      He was a good brutal lump of a six, but never had the game for 8. That night is one of the most comprehensive demolitions of a player I can remember seeing. He got battered from the off. That wrap up at the end, and DOC and Paulie taking him for a walk down the pitch from a restart made him look a broken player by the end.

Great stuff :)
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
        He was a good brutal lump of a six, but never had the game for 8. That night is one of the most comprehensive demolitions of a player I can remember seeing. He got battered from the off. That wrap up at the end, and DOC and Paulie taking him for a walk down the pitch from a restart made him look a broken player by the end.

Great stuff :)

:)

Just typing Munster Chabal into a Youtube search produces what is basically an anti-highlights reel for the poor guy.

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
          Youd move Irelands best ever 7 to 6.
          Sweet jesus
          Fergus Slattery was never a 6.
          "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero View Post
            I think Wallace's 'problem' was not a 'problem' in the traditional sense of something being wrong but that because was literally SO athletically superior to other players that openside, a position traditionally built so sleighter and perhaps slyer men, that Wallace was viewed by some to be a more obvious candidate for 6/8 hence when coupled with media ballsocks this whole idea got legs. It also was probably because at times moving Wallace to 6 or 8 to accomodate a player inferior to Wallace but perhaps better than whomsoever was at 6 or 8 might have made a bit of sense.
            It shouldn't be forgotten that a serious shoulder injury around 2002 meant he was passed out by the emergence of Leamy in Munster and Gleeson for Ireland. Prior to that setback, he had been a star as far back as pre-2000. When he came back from injury in 2003, he didn't even make the RWC that year, mainly because of lack of game time - hard to believe it now.

His "problem" stemmed from that 2002 injury, but in regaining his Ireland place under EOS, he credited that coach with identifying areas of his game that needed development.

Leamy's move to 6 for Munster and 8 for Ireland allowed Wally to come back into contention, and the comeback was complete when he scored the decisive try v Scotland in the 2004 6N Triple Crown win. From then he was back, and just got better. By the team he retired, his consistent level of performance was ridiculously good, and it's hard to remember him playing a bad game.

A magical career, cut short, but he was still blessed with great longevity.
            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Weetabix View Post

In terms of sheer insanity and dying for the cause I miss THE FLA
              "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                Fergus Slattery was never a 6.
                He was a great modern pro alright.:_please__revamped_b
                clowns

Comment

Speaking of past players here's my favourite:

Edit: go to 2 mins 40 and just smile
                  Last edited by Grandpasimpson; 2nd-January-2014, 15:26.
                  "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
                    Nothin in it

Comment

Heres a little gem.
                      clowns

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
                        He was a great modern pro alright.:_please__revamped_b
                        Probably.
                        "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Paul Warwick. God I miss him. He was another one alright. That drop goal.
                          The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

The moment he was injured before the world cup was just so devastating.
                            The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stringer9 View Post
                              It's whatever time it is.. and I'm ashamed to say that I'm still a bit drunk. Great night, but it's left me a bit emotional.

I was looking on Youtube..I don't know why..but sure I came across this..

Which has set me back in to the mourning of David Wallace. They say it gets easier, but the pain still remains. ;)

With it being a new year today..or tomorrow or whatever you think really..which player from the past do you miss the most.

For me, there is no question, David Wallace.

..Right now, with the new year upon us I'm thankful for many things, Munster on top of the table, finding my keys last night..spelling check on this site. etc.
                              This I hope is the last post I make while drunk.. For the new year..I will become a pioneer and never again post while drunk..

David Wallace, forever you'll be in our hearts.
                              I was out at a function NYE and Wally was at it... my missus knows his missus very well... all went well until about 3am until I find myself standing there while my other half is telling Wally's wife how much I love him and he's my mancrush. And then she went over and told him. I'd to go and hide 'n all!
                              Marty in the Morning

Comment

oh happy days!

Comment

Working...
                                X