Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just back in the door

Just back in the door from Llanelli.

A very very disappointing day all round, worst performance in Europe in quite a while pretty poor build up and aftermath too but them's the breaks.

As for the game thought we were pretty poor all round. A few calls going our way and a few more kicks landed and we could possibly have stolen something. Wouldn't have deserved it, but there can be no excuses when we were so outplayed.

Biggest disappointment was Leamy, Wally and DOC. Just didn't seem to front up to the level you'd expect for established internationals who many had on their teams of the 6nations. Can't remember any decent line breaks from the 3, no POC v France style moments when they were really needed. Never seemed to get the injection of intensity needed until the very end when it was just too late.

For the team as a whole, first up tackling was very poor most of Llanelli team at some stage made a half break with 2 of our lads hanging off them and got a good 5 yards before being brought down. Again most of the forwards have been playing at 6N level for a month and a bit against superior opposition why couldn't the tackling stay solid for one more week? Same story as well with the scrum, same personnel were solid v Italy and France, what happened last night. The back row move we seemed to go with from the start of a ROG skip pass to Mafi just wasn't working. Mainly due to knock-ons, even when Llanelli weren't on top of us. Mafi in fairness was the liveliest back we had but the handling errors were far too numerous.

It's easy to be wise after the event but selection would surely have had an impact. JK looked unfit and got really badly burned for the disallowed try for the forward pass. As for Cully regardless of what he's done in the past his future shouldn't lie at Munster, seemed to be lacking in pace possibly even dis-interested, letting the ball bounce in front of him for up and unders, when we were running out of time letting difficult but not impossible kicks for touch roll dead without haring after them. Ryan's impact was huge when he came on, a clean lineout win and a try in the 2 mins he was on. JOS was arranging tackle bags right in front of me before kick off and he looked really really pissed. Not surprising when you consider the performance he put in last week and he couldn't even get a place on the bench.

Whilst loyalty to players has been a huge element of bringing us as far as we've come there comes a time when we need to mix it up and try news things. I'd be very worried that we might lose JOS in the summer. Can't see what more he could have done this year and still gets passed over when it counts.

My biggest criticism of DK though would have been use of the bench what was point in putting Axel on it in a match where changes up front were badly needed and he was just left there. At the very least not using the bench to try and change things when they were going pear shaped, a few changes a half time were surely called for the way we were playing.

As for everything apart from match, well can't say it was a San Seb. All the locals we met were in fairness really nice and going out of their way to be helpful, but the town didn't have much of a buzz to it. One of the most surprising things was the three different Llanelli fans who came up to us before the match trying to offload tickets. I was shocked that in such a heartland of rugby, for the biggest match in years and such a small capacity there was so little demand. Hope the folks in Swansea made more of a night out of it anyways.

Well there's always next year. Hope we use up our last three games to try out different combinations of reserves and first teamers, to allow us know where we stand for next season.
    <!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoa

Welcome back neil - interesting post. But beware - there are people around here who don't agree with any negative sentiments post-match! We should take the bad times with the good, etc.

<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior

Welcome back neil - interesting post. But beware - there are people around here who don't agree with any negative sentiments post-match! We should take the bad times with the good, etc.

<!-
      var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
      var SymReal;

Sym()
      {
      if(SymReal != null)
      SymReal();
      }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
      {
      SymReal&#079;nLoad();
      SymReal = window.;
      window. = Sym;
      }

//->

The main thing is to learn from the mistakes and never repeat them

Comment

One other thing from the game was the beasts inability to hold the ball in contact. Seemed to lose it forward quite a bit when tackled and never reached the line breaking crash ball heights of last year. His handling was even worse against Cardiff in Muzzer a few weeks back, knocking on nearly every time he was tackled but it was his first game back from injury. Things don't seem to have improved in the interim however[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Wonder if he's taken his eye of the ball a bit with his sights set on pastures new in the summer?
        Would think it unlikely cause he's been immense ever since joining but can't see what else has changed.
        <!-
        var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
        var SymReal;

Sym()
        {
        if(SymReal != null)
        SymReal();
        }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
        {
        SymReal&#079;nLoad();
        SymReal = window.;
        window. = Sym;
        }

//->

Comment

Originally posted by neiljung
          One other thing from the game was the beasts inability to hold the ball in contact. Seemed to lose it forward quite a bit when tackled and never reached the line breaking crash ball heights of last year. His handling was even worse against Cardiff in Muzzer a few weeks back, knocking on nearly every time he was tackled but it was his first game back from injury. Things don't seem to have improved in the interim however[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Wonder if he's taken his eye of the ball a bit with his sights set on pastures new in the summer?
          Would think it unlikely cause he's been immense ever since joining but can't see what else has changed.
          <!-
          var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
          var SymReal;

Sym()
          {
          if(SymReal != null)
          SymReal();
          }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
          {
          SymReal&#079;nLoad();
          SymReal = window.;
          window. = Sym;
          }

//->
          <!-
          var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
          var SymReal;

Sym()
          {
          if(SymReal != null)
          SymReal();
          }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
          {
          SymReal&#079;nLoad();
          SymReal = window.;
          window. = Sym;
          }

//->

Halstead always had a tendency to knock on, even in SA if you looks forums over there. Add in in the sheer pace of ROG's flat passing, and I'm not sure much has changed. In the last five minutes in the HEC final he did it twice.

Still a great beast though.

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by neiljung

<!-
            var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
            var SymReal;

Sym()
            {
            if(SymReal != null)
            SymReal();
            }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
            {
            SymReal&#079;nLoad();
            SymReal = window.;
            window. = Sym;
            }

//->

I agree his handling is inconsistent,awesome one day very average the next.I think he's a more natural six than eight. Last night in fairness he seemed to take a fairly hefty knock in the first half and was sure he was going to be taken off judging by the amount of pain he was in but remained on. A lot of us said the back row battle would be key and there's no doubt who came out on top. Quinlan just looked frustrated all night, wallace was obviously picked out as our main ball-carrying threat and was tackled hard by two men anytime he went near the ball. Popham and Easterby were class in fairness. I never want to see that fcukin grey jersey again!!! [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

oops got my nicknames mixed up! point still stands though... and agree re halstead, very disappointing

Comment

I agree with almost all of what neiljung has said, and the comments re Halstead. We have some rebuilding to do, but the spine of the team will still be around next year. I would expect JOS to be contending next year for a starting spot in the HEC. We will have Carney, Warwick and from all the speculation a test quality full back or maybe winger to come in, as well as the young Irish lads like Earls. They should help spice up the backline. It was good to see the cameo appearance of Ryan.

Ithought that the backline looked like they had never played together before, in the first half especially. I wondered before the Ulster game if Stringer and ROG should have played 50-60 minutes of that game, just to get used to Munster's backline patterns,I could understand the pack being rested for that game though.

Comment

Firstly, we've got 5 games left this season!

Unfortunately I'll have to miss 2 of them.

Who could blame JO'S if he goes? I'd be absolutely gutted bit I wouldn't blame him!

If they'd at least brought Axle on, it would have made some sense having him on the bench. Why didn't he come on? If he wasn't fit, he shouldn't have been there.

As someone said though, "no-one died!"

So why do I feel as if I'm in mourning?
                  PAUL O'CONNELL KNOWS MY NAME, HE NEEDED IT FOR THE RESTRAINING ORDER!

Comment

Yep, the handling was crap, not only by Halstead though, almost everyone was at fault here.

Comment

I have to agree with most of the sentiments expressed here.
                      There was an interesting point made by Thornley in today's rag.
                      "Munster played too much like Ireland who they are not and not
                      enough like Munster."

However in defence of the team and management we collectively
                      seem to ignore discussing the huge game that Llanelli produced. The
                      blitzkrieg that was unleashed on our backline and forwards
                      simultaneously meant that the team did not recover mentally from
                      the shock of the first quarter.

It's hard to say how to remedy this but I'll defer to Neiljung when
                      he says:

"Hope we use up our last three games to try out different
                      combinations of reserves and first teamers, to allow us know where
                      we stand for next season."

As we all know, by half time the game was up. At least it was
                      heartening to see the guys give it they're all in the second half. I'd
                      expect Llanelli to go to the finals and possibly win the thing.

The Scarlets played close to perfection. We couldn't follow the plot.
                      The season is still not over though. It's a time to experiment and
                      learn.
                      If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

Analysing what you saw on the filed is one thing and very acurate it is too Neil. But what is the point in bringing on players (developmentally I mean) if you're not going to trust them with the jersey in big games? O'Sullivan, Ryan ( 5 min cameo proves the point in his case) Earls etc and also Carney who was added to HEC panel for what purpose?

It's the same as Cooder really. Too conservative. See all the young talent at Wasps tonight? And not afraid to use it either.

Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Comment

Got back this morning ... where to start.

We had a really bad day at the office !!

Our pack looked exhausted.

ROG is a great player but not a captain.

Time to now blood the new generation especially for the backs.

I love travelling to these games and love being a munster supporter... and I will continue to do so.

remember all the previous heartaches and then Cardiff last May ... we will come again.

Thought Llanelli were a good, skillful and aggressive team ...... we weren't .... Axle will ask have we lost the bitterness.

I don't think JK orCullen should have been on the pitch last night, no offence but they weren't match fit ..... badly caught for pace aswell.

facilities in Stradey weren't great.

I have a bad hangover.

I hate losing.

Now have to listen to crap on SKY rugby club.

Now I'm going to bed.

James

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior

<!-
                            var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                            var SymReal;

Sym()
                            {
                            if(SymReal != null)
                            SymReal();
                            }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                            {
                            SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                            SymReal = window.;
                            window. = Sym;
                            }

//->

Thankfully this is a forum and as supporters we can express our feelings, as long as they are constructive. Just back in the door as well, and from people I talked with on the boat, these seem to be the most common comment.

1. The team just didn't turn up today and level of effort was clearly visible to those who were there.

2. Some players have done their time, and their HC days are up. (Cullen &amp; Kelly to name 2, Dowling looks overweight)

3. ROG should not have been captain, and this was even said on the Hook and Pope show this week. He deserves it, but Flannery or Quinnie would be better and taken the pressure off ROG)

4. Kidney made the mistake of not playing the team together last week. This was the same type of rusty performance as the quarters last year against Perpignan. Some of the team were like strangers to one another and very basic mistakes were made.

5. There is no speed in the team. Dowling, Cully, Kelly have no pace and we were over exposed by this weakness.

6. Mafi would make a better winger and has pace. Carney and Mafi for next seasons wingers?

7. As I have mentioned numerous posts before, Kidney does not have a tactical brain. He makes a sub, when someone is injured, not to enforce a change of game plan. Subs should have been on at half time to make a difference. Ryan and maybe Foley in the pack (pity no JOS), O Leary and Murphy for Dowling and Kelly.

8. We need a good backs coach for next year. Someone that will instill some good backs play attacking and defensive. Our tackling was very poor.

9. We need alternatives in most positions. We dont.

Finally, to get it all out of my system. I have never seen so many spare tickets for a HC match. You could not give them away before the match, every Munster fan I asked ( as I was given 2 at the last minute to carry over), didn't want the tickets, as they already had some that they couldn't get rid of. This is not an overstatement, there were loads of tickets available. There was a huge group of supporters that travelled on the ferries, reminded me of Cardiff last year. But a lot of these supporters had bought into the corporate tents as part of the Llanelli package, because they could not get tickets in Ireland. I was in one such tent and it was 90% Munster.

Welsh people asked did I have a good day. No, was the answer, not because we lost, but because we lost without making an effort.

Comment

Shep - take a few Valium as it will not be sorted out overnight. Heard a lot of this after our loss in San Seb Q/F a few years ago.

You are right about the tickets in Llanelli. Someone in the Munster Clubs needs to explain what happened to the tickets. For the first time I had to buy Corporate as the MRSC had no tickets available and I did not come out of the lottery.

Comment

Working...
                              X