100 Ideas To Improve Pro12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 Ideas To Improve Pro12

Apologies if this has been done before, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Mods, feel free to delete or fold into another thread if it has.

It has been come clear over the last year or so that the Pro12 clubs are too reliant on Europe in order to provide exciting, entertaining and compelling rugby. This has left us open to meddling from outside, and currently has us in something of a pickle in regards to our future. With this in mind, it might be a good idea to improve the league, so that we are not caught in the same situation 5, 10 or 50 years down the line. The Pro12 needs to become a stand-alone tournament, with competitive teams playing good games, week in, week out. The Pro12 needs to live up to what it could be, a multi-national tournament with all the excitement of the Super15. We are in the unique position of having the only international league in Europe. Let's use it to our advantage.

With all that in mind, let's try to come up with some ideas on how to improve it as a spectacle, improve attendances and ensure the future of ALL our teams.

To get us started, I posted an idea on another thread that I will just paste here.

The Pro12 could really work this to their advantage too, by having teams from the same countries play games on adjoining days in close proximity. For example, have Munster play Treviso in Treviso on the Saturday and Connacht play Zebre on Sunday, or Treviso play Glasgow on Saturday and Zebre play Edinburgh on Sunday. Surely there would be supporters who would make a weekend of it and take in two games. That would give us our away trips and raise the profile of the league.

https://twitter.com/SaveTheHCup

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...e-heineken-cup

Invite the English & French
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
      Invite the English & French
      Kick out the Welsh.( Huwie is OK though).
      Last edited by tafnat; 4th-November-2013, 15:16.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnat View Post
        Kick out the Welsh.
        Invite the English and the French, then kick out the Welsh and the English.

Comment

Get 1 tv channel to show on the bulk of the games(sky)
          Half the problem with the league is the tv coverage in 5 different languages.
          Sky as a major partner would really help it to cement its position.
          And theres Sky Italia.
          clowns

Comment

I've been meaning to rant about the league since Saturday but I just can't seem to articulate what I want to say. I've supported the league since the start and held a season ticket for as long as they've been available. I've tried to care about every game but I suppose it boils down to this. How can you ever take a league seriously when the top of the table clash contains none of either clubs' frontline players? It's a jokeshop. The contrast between the Glasgow game and the Ospreys game showed exactly what the league could be and what the league isn't.

We'd be better off with a league with 10 games where every one matters with full squads and some kind of expanded B&I than the bullsh!t we watched on Saturday.

Comment

We should give 2 years notice to quit. Then set up another competition called the not Englsh , French or Welsh Champions Cup.Do a deal with RTE for tele rights. Then we threaten everyone else with financial oblivion if they don't sign up, whilst witholding the details of our deal with RTE. Simples.
              www.canvasclubshop.com

Comment

Arrange the fixture list to have no more than two Irish and Welsh teams and no more than one Italian and Scottish team at home on any given weekend.
                Arrange to have the home Welsh and Irish teams playing on different days. Both of these should be easily doable. Ideally, of course, all teams from a given country should be playing at different times.

Comment

Afternoon kickoffs!! Daylight rugby ftw
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Improve the class of officials in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      Afternoon kickoffs!! Daylight rugby ftw
                      I reckon we'll get that from Sky.

Comment

Create a second tier, relegate Zebre, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Dragons to play Romanian/Portugese/Italian sides for 1 promotion spot leaving an 8 team league.
                        The fewer games will mean no early season encounters which is glorified pre-season or games before or during international windows where academy and reserve sides are fielded.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
                          Improve the class of officials in the league.
                          Yeah, it's gotten to the point where they are all Romain Poite. That Italian chap the other night was unreal.

Comment

If the HEC does actually disappear, I'd rather see us focus on the Pro12 as the primary domestic competition, rather than have us linked with any bastardised entertainmentz such as the RCC, but with the flexibility to accommodate additional teams in the absence of an ERC-led tournament. Somebody had previously mentioned the return of the interpros as a formal competition. While the likes of the Munster-Leinster games often contain near-full strength sides anyway, having a "competition within a competition" every time the provinces meet could be a mouth-watering prospect.

I would like to see a return to the recognition of the league winner as the side with the most wins. That doesn't mean getting rid of the knockout stages for a separate trophy, but league champs is league champs! Assuming the existing teams remain involved, there might also be room for some form of link with the likes of the Amlin (or its future equivalent) in order to facilitate league relegation/promotion, so long as the logistics of involving additional unions could be overcome. I think this would have to target involvement from second-tier nations such as Portugal, Romania etc, or at least expand Italian involvement.

I was going to suggest that rather than have a semi-final & final comprising the top four league finishers, we could have a four-division "club championship" semi-final and final based on four teams comprising the best of the four Irish (i.e. interprovincial champions), the best of the four Welsh, the best of the Scottish/Italians and the best of the other nations' teams. But something like this would entail substantial up-front investment in the peripheral / second-tier sides in order to avoid annual semi-final thrashings, so it probably wouldn't work. However, what might be more likely to succeed would be the introduction of a league quarter final, copying the existing HEC format by starting with 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th and so on. It'd give even middle-tier sides something to play for.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
                              I reckon we'll get that from Sky.
                              I really hope so. I think it could aid in attendance if the game was of a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

The local clubs will be none too pleased though
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                              X