Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TG4 Sun 3rd Nov

NEWS RELEASE Date: 29/10/13

The Home of Munster rugby, Thomond Park, is the focus of a new TG4 documentary

The amazing story of Ireland’s most cherished club rugby ground, Thomond Park in Limerick and the amazing events it has witnessed over the years including Munster’s unique victory over the All Blacks in 1978 are chronicled in this documentary, launched today by Tony Ward at Thomond Park. The documentary will air on TG4 9.30pm Sunday 3rd November (repeat on 7.30pm Monday 4th November).

It was once a mud bath and used to graze cattle in the off-season. Now it is the home to one of the biggest teams in world sports, Munster rugby, and their loyal following. The programme looks at the amazing developments in the stadium over the last 50 years and the fascinating link with the city of Limerick, the sport of rugby and its spiritual home in Thomond.

Producer/ Director Shane Tobin “There is no sports ground like it in Ireland, there is a synergy between the people, fans and the players and this documentary captures that bond. The structure may have changed over the years but there are few stadia that can rival the magic that has regularly happened at Thomond in recent times.

Revealing interviews with loyal fans such as Frank Prendergast recall the magical days of the 50s and 60s. Vincent Ryan vividly remembers 1978 when the city of Limerick came to a standstill to witness one of the greatest ever achievements by any Irish sporting team as Thomond cheered on Munster to an astonishing 12-0 victory over the All Blacks, the only Irish team ever to do so before or since.

Current players Paul O Connell, Donnacha O’Callaghan and Donnacha Ryan relive the great days that created the myth of the stadium such as the “Miracle matches” from the Heineken Cup: in 2003 ( v Gloucester) and 2006 (v Sale) when Munster defied the odds and all the pundits to pull off victories that echoed the feats of 1978.

This is the story of the development of the stadium that became a home thanks to the amazing events and the unique bond with the people of the city of Limerick, rugby fans in Ireland and from all over the world.

ENDS

More Information:
    Shane Tobin; Producer/ director E-mail: shanetobinsq1@gmail.com
    Ronan Ó Coisdealbha, TG4 E-mail: sport@tg4.ie

Deadly, ag tnúth go mór leis sin.

Comment

Just saw the repeat of the "Thomond" story on TG4. Have to say it was very well done and really enjoyable. Sitting here with my 82 year old Dad, who had many many good years playing there, it brought back many memories.
      Does anyone know if it would be possible to download it from anywhere, as he would love to watch it over again?

Comment

I missed this. Would love to see it and its not on the TG4 Player. Any downloads please

Comment

Contact these guys i say they could help you

More Information:
          Shane Tobin; Producer/ director E-mail: shanetobinsq1@gmail.com
          Ronan Ó Coisdealbha, TG4 E-mail: sport@tg4.ie

Originally posted by shep View Post
          Just saw the repeat of the "Thomond" story on TG4. Have to say it was very well done and really enjoyable. Sitting here with my 82 year old Dad, who had many many good years playing there, it brought back many memories.
          Does anyone know if it would be possible to download it from anywhere, as he would love to watch it over again?

Comment

I just watched it on the Tg4 player in UPC

Comment

That is on tg4 player now. Search (cuardaigh) for 'Cogar'.

Comment

Great show. Pity it wasn't a little bit longer.

Did I dream it or did they say that Andy Gomarsall was involved with Sale in 2006?

Comment

Originally posted by buster View Post
                  Great show. Pity it wasn't a little bit longer.

Did I dream it or did they say that Andy Gomarsall was involved with Sale in 2006?
                  He was

Comment

Originally posted by Burgers View Post
                    He was
                    That's interesting, what was he doing for them Burgers? Can't find anything on google.

To make a long story longer, the reason I'm interested is I thought it was a nice bit of trivia having him participating in four Thomond Park hidings of three different English clubs over 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by buster View Post
                      That's interesting, what was he doing for them Burgers? Can't find anything on google.

To make a long story longer, the reason I'm interested is I thought it was a nice bit of trivia having him participating in four Thomond Park hidings of three different English clubs over 10 years.

Apologies, I was thinking he had played at Thomond before, it was Wasps I was thinking of. Don't know why I thought Sale.

Comment

Working...
                      X