No announcement yet.

Boycott the Rugby Champions Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way to make pro12 more popular with casual fan IMO is to reduce the impact the autumn and 6ns windows have on the league.
    In order to do that you have to reduce the number of games which probably will be a difficult sell to the regions/ provinces bean counters.
    I've thought about this a lot and changed my mind many times as to the best solution.
    My current best idea/solution is two pools/ divisions of 6 with the top 6 of last current system year in pool 1 and bottom 6 in pool 2. Each team in their respective pool play each other home and away=10 games.
    Each team plays teams from other pool once alternating home or away= 6 games.
    Total league games= 16.
    Playoffs- team finishing 1st and 2nd in pool 1 straight to home semis.
    Teams finishing 1st and 2nd in pool 2 have home qtrs against teams 3 and 4 from pool 1.
    Winners to semi. Final a two legged affair to Max revenue or alternatively team 1 of pool 1 retains home advantage should they reach final.
    Team finishing 1st pool 2 promoted to pool 1 at at expense of last team in group 1.
    Heineken cup qualification is slightly more difficult due to each nation being guaranteed 1 spot.
    Based on last league finish the Treviso would be guaranteed Heineken cup rugby from pool 2. Glasgow would also be guaranteed Heineken cup rugby from pool 1. With 7 spots going the other 5 spots go to remaining 5 teams in pool 1 with qualifier position going to top team in pool 2.

The inter pro series could be reintroduced during the autumn and 6ns windows on a home and away basis to help with player development and income loss.
    That is a proposal that could be popular with fans and TV/ media. Top players playing in most games.

Comment

******** to that. Lets just play our players a bit more often, its often 6 to 8 weeks in before the big guns are wheeled out. Anyone involved in the promotion / marketing of any activity will tell you thats way too late
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

But can u see it happening sewa? Player welfare system is designed to protect the international team at the expense of the pro12 competition. From an irfu perspective I see no reason for that position to change. Do you?
        Therefore we have to be more creative in our format in order to maximise the marquee players involvement and give the media and our marketing/sales people something to promote and sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
          Zebre are in because Italy holds two slots, and they're in the top 2 in Italy.

And Italy have two slots because part of the point of the competition is to strengthen the club game across Europe and have a viable professional structure in each of the 6 nations.

I know why they are in it, i asked what right a piss poor club with such a bad record has to be playing in the premier competition of europe where they clearly cannot compete, let them play in the Amlin, or its RCC equivalent. They will still be out of their depth there and it will strengthen the club instead of humiliating it in every game
          Last edited by lawrence; 29th-October-2013, 16:38.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
            ******** to that. Lets just play our players a bit more often, its often 6 to 8 weeks in before the big guns are wheeled out. Anyone involved in the promotion / marketing of any activity will tell you thats way too late
            If you start to "sweat" the talent earlier, then you negate the main plus points of being able to mind them in this country, and keep them from moving to Eng and Fra. There is a balance of course, with Sexton playing 13 games in 12 weeks, being on the excessive side.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
              I know why they are in it, i asked what right a piss poor club with such a bad record has to be playing in the premier competition of europe where they clearly cannot compete, let them play in the Amlin, or its RCC equivalent. They will still be out of their depth there and it will strengthen the club instead of humiliating it in every game
              And sure what right do Italy have to be in the 6 nations too? They're clearly out of their depth. Kick them out I say.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                I have my suspicions that OD was involved in proceedings over the weekend in a 'waspish' way.
                Well if that is so....he is now buzzing around the Leinsterfans forum stinging anyone prepared to debate with him.
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                  If you start to "sweat" the talent earlier, then you negate the main plus points of being able to mind them in this country, and keep them from moving to Eng and Fra. There is a balance of course, with Sexton playing 13 games in 12 weeks, being on the excessive side.
                  First weekend of the league, there is sweet FA for sports journos to write about, launch the league in style and gain some momentum. No we do the opposite, as for sweating the talent there is no evidence our system is working. Last year we were decimated throughout the 6Nations
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Sewa- that's why it has to be reformatted and rebranded/ marketed.
                    Its current format is unattractive to media, tv , corporate and fans alike. That is in spite of the fact that it contains two very successful teams in Europe and 5 or 6 very good teams in the league.
                    Even when sky did come in they are doing so on a contract that allows them pay only for the fixtures the want. At least it appears that way given the fact that terrestrial TV appear to be able to broadcast the rest.
                    Its got to be done if we are to remain strong.

Comment

clowns

Comment

First weekend of the league, there is sweet FA for sports journos to write about, launch the league in style and gain some momentum. No we do the opposite, as for sweating the talent there is no evidence our system is working. Last year we were decimated throughout the 6Nations
                        That was all Deccie's fault .....

Comment

Nothing like the amount we do. They go straight back in for pre-season while our guys are swanning around Europe on their holidays, seeing the sights in Paris, Perpignan, Biarritz etc
                          Or playing for your wonderful Lions.

Comment

Herea an idea to kick off the Rabo,
                            Rabo cup
                            Last saturday in august
                            4 Irish teams play each other ulster v munster/leinster v Connacht
                            4 welsh same
                            2 scots
                            2 Italians

2 Hightest scoring winners play Final in the ground of highest scorer.
                            Fireworks tv full teams.
                            Nice chunk of change for the winner
                            clowns

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                              Whats so wrong with it?

Why should zebra be in top flight competition? why shouldnt all clubs get an equal slice of the pie?

Agree 100%.

Id rather see good competition in games . .rather than Teams like Zebre getting walloped and completely distorting their pools.

But I unlike most Id say dont care a jot for this business of "developing the game" ( and even if I did the Amlin is the place for that )

I don't care how few countries play Rugby beyond the core 7 - 10. It makes **** all difference to be honest. Popularity does not equal quality.

No one outside of Ireland ( bar a few yanks ) plays the game of Hurling in any real way . . .yet it is still the king of sports.

Everyone in the shaggin world plays soccerball and it is still absolute dirt.

So I dont see the need for all this development at the expense of good competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                                Zebre are in because Italy holds two slots, and they're in the top 2 in Italy.

And Italy have two slots because part of the point of the competition is to strengthen the club game across Europe and have a viable professional structure in each of the 6 nations.
                                Precisely - the bottom line ,in every sense, is a competitive 6 Nations, which means that Italy and Scotland need to be nurtured and encouraged. The 6 Nations, the real NH cash cow, would soon pall if the Scots and Italians fall further behind. It is a total clash between club and country and the national must win. The RFU and IRB clearly hope that the situation resolves itself without their having to intervene and actually make a decision, They are the dog that did not bark. The IRB can kill the whole thing by stating that they will not give approval for a cross border competition run by clubs rather than national unions. They will have to get off the fence soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X