Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kidney’s strength also his weakness?

A watershed result tonight for Munster.

After 2006, we're now back in the pack again, for once well beaten in the knockout phase and we also end the season with our fortress breached too.

I believe that Declan has been crucial to Munster's success, from reaching Twickenham 2000 to last year's magnificent result. His legacy is secure and well done to him.

Declan's strength is his innate loyalty and consistency in selection. In those years of hurt and building up to last year's magnificent climax, this was a genuine advantage. What a privilege it has been to support this team's efforts.

Throughout, he has backed players and been loyal to them. He has kept faith with experience on many occasions and has been rewarded. As late as tonight he kept faith with MOD and Axel but it didn't come off this time.

But now, loyalty and consistency are not what's needed.A defeat like tonight's requires a major reassessment. We are soon going to be without Cullen, Halstead, MOD, Payne, Quinlan and Foley - most of them HEC winners. This defeat forces the reckoning now, rather than in 12 or 15 months time when we just might have been considering a 3-in-a-row.....

Can Declan rise to the challenge and change from the way that brought us to Cardiff last year?

Is Declan the man to dismantle a team and start again? If he does this, I don't doubt that he would have the loyalty of the majority of supporters.

If he doesn't, I fear he would lose the supporters. The team needs shaking up. We still have a mighty core, and some great lads coming through as well.

Is Declan the man for the challenge of changing, not just the team, but his own methods? I don't know....

<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

//->
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Munster had a team capable of winning the HEC already made when Kidney took over. I think he gets too much credit for you winning it last year.

Comment

bah
      Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Who the f**k do you think you are?
        Cant touch this do do do do do do do do cant touch this

She\'ll drag the lake
        To keep the vendetta alive.

Comment

Settle down lads. Sure there were problems exposed tonight ... a lack
          of leadership, lack of dynamism in the forwards and a lack of cutting
          edge and penetration in the backs. We were on the back foot from the
          off. But the team is the same team we have always supported and the
          same team who have given us such pleasure and pride. You don't
          change too much without risking losing the essence. You can point to
          individual players and say they didn;t measure up but the team as a
          collective were beaten out the door. A few shrewd buys will change a
          lot. We will always love what makes the team unique... honesty and
          endeavour, Up Munster

Comment

Who else stood up to be counted? Yes Ryan and O'Sullivan were great
            last weekend, but in his previous game Ryan got a yellow card with 10
            minutes to go that sealed a Cardiff win, and O'Sullivan is similarly just
            back from injury and hardly ahead of Quinny on form at 6.

Kidney made the calls, and there's a obvious logic in them.

The game that killed us was the loss to Leicester at home.
            It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

All managers will make mistakes. What sets apart the good from the bad is how they learn from their mistakes and make sure they dont happen again.

I have faith in Deccie that he'll put things right next season and will be a bit more willing to give up and coming players a go.

Comment

To be quiet honest I am sure that Deccie is clever enough to know what needs to be done for next season. Lets just let the man get on with it, support our team and look forward to what will hopefully be a better season next year.
                "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior

A watershed result tonight for Munster.

After 2006, we're now back in the pack again, for once well beaten in the knockout phase and we also end the season with our fortress breached too.

I believe that Declan has been crucial to Munster's success, from reaching Twickenham 2000 to last year's magnificent result. His legacy is secure and well done to him.

Declan's strength is his innate loyalty and consistency in selection. In those years of hurt and building up to last year's magnificent climax, this was a genuine advantage. What a privilege it has been to support this team's efforts.

Throughout, he has backed players and been loyal to them. He has kept faith with experience on many occasions and has been rewarded. As late as tonight he kept faith with MOD and Axel but it didn't come off this time.

But now, loyalty and consistency are not what's needed.A defeat like tonight's requires a major reassessment. We are soon going to be without Cullen, Halstead, MOD, Payne, Quinlan and Foley - most of them HEC winners. This defeat forces the reckoning now, rather than in 12 or 15 months time when we just might have been considering a 3-in-a-row.....

Can Declan rise to the challenge and change from the way that brought us to Cardiff last year?

Is Declan the man to dismantle a team and start again? If he does this, I don't doubt that he would have the loyalty of the majority of supporters.

If he doesn't, I fear he would lose the supporters. The team needs shaking up. We still have a mighty core, and some great lads coming through as well.

Is Declan the man for the challenge of changing, not just the team, but his own methods? I don't know....

<!-
                  var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                  var SymReal;

Sym()
                  {
                  if(SymReal != null)
                  SymReal();
                  }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                  {
                  SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                  SymReal = window.;
                  window. = Sym;
                  }

//-><!-
                  var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                  var SymReal;

Sym()
                  {
                  if(SymReal != null)
                  SymReal();
                  }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                  {
                  SymReal&#079;nLoad();
                  SymReal = window.;
                  window. = Sym;
                  }

//->

i think MOD and Quinny still have some thing to offer longer term. i think axel is now a squad player (for season 2007-200[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img] payne obviously is coming to the end of his carrear but would not be at all surprised if he was around next year. cullen is gone. halstead if he can be persuaded to stay would be great for 2008. i also think hoggy and JK and ian dowling should all be squad players next year (provided we find suitable replacements) i would like to see 2 wingers and a full back brought in next year. aside im happy enough with what we have and what we have coming thorugh. would love to see brown, kearney and a big winger brought in and halstead to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by danthefan
                    Munster had a team capable of winning the HEC already made when Kidney took over. I think he gets too much credit for you winning it last year.

Not remotely true. We would never have won the Heineken under Gaffney.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                      Who else stood up to be counted? Yes Ryan and O'Sullivan were great
                      last weekend, but in his previous game Ryan got a yellow card with 10
                      minutes to go that sealed a Cardiff win, and O'Sullivan is similarly just
                      back from injury and hardly ahead of Quinny on form at 6.

Kidney made the calls, and there's a obvious logic in them.

The game that killed us was the loss to Leicester at home.

Incorrect, what cost us was not getting the bonus point against Bourgoin in Geneva. That meant we played the QF away after Tigers loss. Away teams rarely win QF's.

Comment

Munster have looked terribly coached all season. This is a fact. Look at the fowards Munster have. The main problem is they are too predictable. DK should stay but their coaching setup needsto be gutted and proper coaches brought in.

Its aharsh thing to say but if Munster want to improve they need to eliminate their obvious weaknesses.

Comment

Working...
                        X