Munsters poor starts to Heineken Cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munsters poor starts to Heineken Cup

After misery of last weekend i noticed a trend in that we tend to have poor first games in hcup even when we have won it was due to late kick
    2005 -lost sale comprehensive
    2006 -won leicester last min peno-helped with extra 10 yards from shane jennings for lip
    2007- lost wasps
    2008- wont montauban – needed late peno
    2009- hammered Northampton- did well to get bonus
    2010-hammered london irish-last min try for bonus
    2011 – beat northampton last min drop
    2012 – poor v racing
    2013 -Edinburgh- enough said

its a worrying trend -do we need to get our top men back earlier

Originally posted by janesboro View Post
    After misery of last weekend i noticed a trend in that we tend to have poor first games in hcup even when we have won it was due to late kick
    2006 -won leicester last min peno-helped with extra 10 yards from shane jennings for lip
    2007- lost wasps
    2012 – poor v racing

How many of those years did we not qualify, and now do we need our top men back earlier?

Comment

The only time we need our top men back earlier is at the breakdown.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
        How many of those years did we not qualify, and now do we need our top men back earlier?
        accept your point but makes it lot easier when you win first game -in the years above when we did win first game we were qualified with game to spare

Comment

2007- lost wasps
          2012 – poor v racing

The best performance in all of those was probably Welford Road....and that went on to be one of the most disappointing campaigns. We were hammered by Glaws as well in 2002/03 to start weren't we? Can't remember 2004. I was trying to think of performances that were as bad as Edinburgh over the last few days and that Montauban game came to mind. We needed Hometown Wayne to come to our rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by buster View Post
            The best performance in all of those was probably Welford Road....and that went on to be one of the most disappointing campaigns. We were hammered by Glaws as well in 2002/03 to start weren't we? Can't remember 2004. I was trying to think of performances that were as bad as Edinburgh over the last few days and that Montauban game came to mind. We needed Hometown Wayne to come to our rescue.
            Think we lost 35 - 16 in Kingsholm in 2002....?
            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

I thought we did OK against Sale in 05/06 but two strokes of really bad luck undid us and they scored their two tries. Strings and Quinny picked up bad injuries there IIRC. I didn't think at the time that they were as good as the hype around them That's not to say they weren't a seriously good side just that they weren't the All Blacks in white as some made them out to be.

We didn't do OK in Embra last week though.

Montauban was a shocker too. And at home.

At least all the wriggle room is gone now and it's so or die from here on in. I'm pessimistic though.
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

2007- lost wasps
                2012 – poor v racing

Dear me, either my memory is failing or something about the above analysis is not quite right. I didn't hit the sauce at the 2005 Sale game and I don't think it was a comprehensive defeat. Two moments may have swung the game against us, also Sale at that point were the leading English Premiership side and so losing away to them was hardly shameful.

Equally the '07 Wasps game we were competitive throughout the match and might have won it.

2009 in Franklin Gardens we weren't hammered by Northampton, if anything we were undone by cute play by the Saints rather than taking a hammering (backs all turned expecting a kick and I think Geraghty elected to tap and go?).

For long stretches of the game against Racing we were again in the box seat, bullying the scrums, rucking hard, mauling lineout ball. A streaky try by Machenaud was the end of us in that match, but poor?

Edinburgh was a different level all together when compared with the performances against Sale, Wasps, Northampton and Racing because it has widely been accepted the team just did not turn up. Given that this is not the first time this calendar year that we have fielded a side not at the races collectively, I would be asking searching questions about who is responsible for this failure in prepartion and setting the mental tone before a match, rather than generalising about the paucity of our performances in opening round defeats.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
                  Equally the '07 Wasps game we were competitive throughout the match and might have won it.

2009 in Franklin Gardens we weren't hammered by Northampton, if anything we were undone by cute play by the Saints rather than taking a hammering (backs all turned expecting a kick and I think Geraghty elected to tap and go?). Correct

From memory we were ahead in the Wasps game by 10 points twice during the match so could certainly have won it
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Yeah in that Sale game we were subjected to an unmercifully bad display of French refereeing. A constant slew of dodgy penalties and the Caveman should have been carded too
                    My computer thinks I'm gay
                    What's the difference anyway
                    When all the people do all day
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Was at that Northampton game, could have been ours - we spent the last few minutes under their posts if I remember rightly. They got that quickly taken penalty, soft out.

We've let in a few of them over the years. Aren't you always taught to retreat backwards, always facing the opposition? It's something I do even in indoor soccer years later. The amount of players (in rugby, not indoor!) you see turn their back as soon as the whistle goes.
                      Marty in the Morning

Comment

If I recall for most of those games we had our best available 15 out.

Our selection for Embra sent out a clear message. We don't rate you! And you see where that got us.
                        Con Artist

Comment

Working...
                        X