• NiallGK
    replied
    Any comments on this?

03 April 2007

Why I will never criticise Munster marvels

By Diarmuid O’Flynn
    “DON’T spare them now!” a man said to me on Saturday referring to
    the Munster team that had lost the Heineken Cup quarter-final the
    previous evening, “don’t spare them!” he repeated.

I was in the uplifting company of Dominic and Christy Hanley, coming
    off Charleville’s beautiful golf-course, and was just about to tuck into
    the big breakfast in the clubhouse, a consolation for what had just
    happened on the course.

“Don’t spare them.” Never would I dream of laying into the lads on
    this Munster team, never. They went out against Llanelli Friday night
    determined to give their best. They tried to give their best, they did
    their utmost to do their best; they failed.

Those of us who would be familiar with Munster – and we’re in the
    tens of thousands by now – saw the signs early. On Friday evening,
    Munster were out of sync. The little areas where normally they stick,
    they slipped. Tackles were missed, balls dropped, passes fumbled –
    a bit like Dominic and myself on Saturday morning, they were out of
    sync. Do you know that feeling? Afterwards Declan Kidney came in
    for a lot of criticism for not having played his front-line players the
    previous Friday evening against Ulster.

Valid criticism, but misplaced. A few days before the game I heard
    Declan explain his reasoning, and I felt he was absolutely right. One
    to ten, those are the most demanding positions on any rugby team,
    physically and mentally. From one to ten is where Munster are
    represented on the Irish team, a team that has just come through a
    thrilling but attritional Six-Nations tournament. Everything came down
    to the last day, and that last day was against Italy in Rome, probably
    the most attritional game of all in this tournament.

Those Irish players were exhausted, were utterly spent, but the
    Munster boys especially so.

Declan Kidney knows them, knows them better, probably, than they
    even know themselves. Having consulted them and sounded them
    out, he felt that the last thing they needed just six days later was
    another attritional contest in Ravenhill. So he rested them, and he
    was right.

Munster lacked a lot of things on Friday evening. They seemed to
    lack the kind of bottomless, boundless energy we have become so
    used to. They seemed to lack the kind of bottomless, boundless
    hunger we’ve become used to. They seemed to lack the kind of
    bottomless, boundless belief in themselves that we’ve become used
    to. They weren’t running on empty, but for sure they had gone into
    their reserves on all three critical areas.

What they needed, going into this Llanelli game, was more time.

Something will have to be done about the timing of these Heineken
    Cup quarter-finals. Something too will have to be done about the
    Magners League, about the number and regularity of games and
    about the number of games for which the internationals are released.
    It’s not good to have a team sitting idle mid-season for several
    weeks, it’s not good to ask players who have just come off a most
    intense seven-week programme of five big games to go almost
    straight into another intense high-profile game, but with a different
    team.

Three weeks after the end of the Six-Nations, that should be the
    minimum to the Heineken Cup quarter-final, three weeks.

Don’t spare them? On Sunday evening, purely by chance, I bumped
    into Donncha O’Callaghan and his girlfriend in Kilkenny. Normally an
    ebullient charac

Leave a comment:

• socks
    replied

Originally posted by sewa
    If DK hadnt insisted on a wide game last year we would never have won the HC.
    i think the coach that did most to introduce a 'wide' game to munster was dk's much maligned predecessor alan gaffney. poor aul ali-g, if he had a bit of luck on his side he could well have won a hcup but it wasn't to be. anyway, as was stated by a senior player in an interview around christmas, it was alan gaffney that intoduced the more expansive game and that rog was the main force behind continuing with it once alan gaffney left.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

It was Scots - we went wide and early and did them before they were out of the blocks.

On top of that, we lost two scrums against the head on Friday - no wonder they weren't falling over themselves to keep it tight.

Leave a comment:

• scotscor
    replied

I got back last night, good weekend from Saturday. Havent watched the match on tape since, but at the game I felt only one forward played well - MOD and only one back was half way decent - Strings.

The rest were anonymous. So I come on here and I'm pretty amazed to see that DK is getting slated left right and centre.

I am sure most here remember us spinning the ball wide early in the qf against stade in tp that went well.

King is great going forward but makes mistakes at times defensively, if we could have scored early , if if if.

Equally while the scarlets were a much better side I felt that we could have stolen it if we could only have gotten within a score. Never happened. Can we banish this notion that it is a good idea not to take your points. Always take your points.

Lastly this feels a lot less painful than san seb et al, we have won it. And if it is less painful for us it must be less painful for them.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

I know spreading it wide isn't the answer, but I'm fairly convinced that the problems with the pack are being overlooked by some.

OD's approach is the right one - win the battles in close, take territory and points and then look to open up.

But over the course of this season we haven't been doing the first part. Our line out hasn't been great, the maul hasn't been used effectively and the ruck game has slowed down.

Sometimes it looks like the ball slung wide is our only way forward.

Leave a comment:

• Point
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Dog

I'd agree with Point there. The way Wasps demolished Leinster on Saturday was a text-book example of the ideal approach - first batter the opposition up front in the first half, keeping the ball tight and kicking the inevitable penalties and then spread it wide in the second and run in the tries.

That was the right way to go about it, OD. What worries me is that Munster have employed this failed strategy all season and it isn't working. Perhaps, if they had a run of games together, maybe but they had a run of games together before the Leicester match and it didn't work then either.

Leave a comment:

• Point
    replied

I take your point that we should have reverted to the tried and trustedonce it was clear that it wasnt working. It is still doubtful though whether our backs wouldhave coped with a far superior backline or our pack wouldhave been able to beat a fine pack of forwards. Any time we did try to maul it got collapsed straight away.

Sorry, Sewa, but my point was that we should have started by keeping it tight, and then as the team got up to the pace of the game, open more and more.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied

We CAN play a good wide game on the days when all the right players are available and have played together a decent amount. Friday was not one of those days.

I believe DK is an excellent coach but he made some very poor calls on Friday. IMO Murphy should have played at 13, Mafi should have been on the wing (I reckon it could be his best postition) instead of Kelly, Ryan should have started instead of MOD and JOS should have been on the bench instead of Axel. I don't know if we would have won but I think we would have been much better. We would also have had a back row option on the bench when it became clear that Leamy was flagging. An unfit Axel was never gonna come on and make an impact against Popham and Easterby. To compound those selections, we didn't change our game plan tosuit our team.

With various useful and pacy backs arriving next season, plus Carney bedding in, I think we will have thelads to play the wide off-loadinggame that we've seen glimpses of in the past. Combined with our current pack plus JOS, Ryan, Hurley etc. coming through, the future's pretty bright. At the end of the season before last we had a bit of a cull and the result was a HEC win. We'll see another cull at the end of this seasonand we'll be better for it. At least most of those being dropped this time will have a HEC medal in their pocket as they leave.

Leave a comment:

• DonL
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Dog

Unbelievable. We went to numerous finals and semis where our inability to have a cutting edge cost us dearly and now everyone is criticising the attempts to play wide. If DK hadnt insisted on a wide game last year we would never have won the HC. I remember we struggled really badly to implement it right up until the castres away game when suddenly there it was. Tries from distance. Backs running good lines. You need both gameplans in your locker. I agree when it isnt working you need leadership to change tactics but its not a case for abandoning the wide game altogether.

Well said that man.

Immediately followingthe RDS massacre on 31/12/2005, Kidney finally took my advice, shot the one-trick pony and adopted the more expansive game - Munster promptly beat Edinburgh away playing scintillating rugby, then mashed Castres away and Sale at home, and the rest, as they say is history.

Anyone advocating a retreat to the sterile days of turniping and boring other teams to death, should be publicly flogged with nettles on the Treaty Stone and then fed to the pitbull terriers that patrol the streets of Moyross. Their remains should be thrown into the foundations of the new "Langer Larkin Stand" in Thomond Park.

That's utterly true Old Dog, but this more expansive game must be executed properly. There's no point throwing it out to the backs if they have no space to run into. The end result is a slaughter house. To execute the proper expansive game the team needs to integrate the attritional forward game and the explosive back line game. We forgot about the forwards and tried to play a Serge Blanco game of run it from anywhere. Integration and immalgumation is the key, not isolation and seperation (christ I should be presenting this to some capital investors with all these buzzwords!).

We were a one trick pony this year as well as previous years (besides last year) but on the other side of the spectrum. Mix it up, mix it up, mix it up, they are the key words.

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied

I'd agree with Point there. The way Wasps demolished Leinster on Saturday was a text-book example of the ideal approach - first batter the opposition up front in the first half, keeping the ball tight and kicking the inevitable penalties and then spread it wide in the second and run in the tries.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    I take your point that we should have reverted to the tried and trustedonce it was clear that it wasnt working. It is still doubtful though whether our backs wouldhave coped with a far superior backline or our pack wouldhave been able to beat a fine pack of forwards. Any time we did try to maul it got collapsed straight away.

Leave a comment:

• Point
    replied

Unbelievable. We went to numerous finals and semis where our inability to have a cutting edge cost us dearly and now everyone is criticising the attempts to play wide. If DK hadnt insisted on a wide game last year we would never have won the HC. I remember we struggled really badly to implement it right up until the castres away game when suddenly there it was. Tries from distance. Backs running good lines. You need both gameplans in your locker. I agree when it isnt working you need leadership to change tactics but its not a case for abandoning the wide game altogether.

To force players to carry out a gameplan that they are either incapable of OR unused to, is madness.

The utter madness in that strategy is to START a match by flinging the ball all over the place, away from home, in a HC QF, where your backline hasn't played a match together in 10 weeks.

I, or anyone else, am not advocating returning to 10 man rugby, but the gameplan as used by Munster this season, just does not take these other factors into account. Once you start a match and begin making these errors, you put tremendous pressure on your backline, and quite often they try to force the ball as a result.

That must change.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied

Thats a possibility allright but if got an international standard fullback he would surely have to play him? I suppose though with the HC under threat there will be no spending until we see if its sorted out. [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]

Leave a comment:

• Old Dog
    replied

Well said that man.

Immediately followingthe RDS massacre on 31/12/2005, Kidney finally took my advice, shot the one-trick pony and adopted the more expansive game - Munster promptly beat Edinburgh away playing scintillating rugby, then mashed Castres away and Sale at home, and the rest, as they say is history.

Anyone advocating a retreat to the sterile days of turniping and boring other teams to death, should be publicly flogged with nettles on the Treaty Stone and then fed to the pitbull terriers that patrol the streets of Moyross. Their remains should be thrown into the foundations of the new "Langer Larkin Stand" in Thomond Park.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon
    Knew it wouldn't take long for re-criminations but a couple of hours....this season has been a failure, that said, picking out players and individuals and slagging them off is a bloody disgrace, as is the whole Limk - Cork arguement.
    We win and lose as a team, this time we lost to a Scarlets team who executed their gameplan to perfection, fair play to them and the best of luck in the rest of the comp.
    Couldn't agree more.

I think many people are dissapointed and feel a little let down by a combination of the display we gave, & the nature of the loss we suffered. Players, coaches, tactics, location, and even jersey choice are getting some flak.

Nobody likes losing, but we must accept the better team won, and on this occaision we came up quite a bit short.

It was no different after other defeats tbh.

We are evolving as a franchise too. Bigger budgets, bigger sponsorship deals, better funding, much better facilities. That will allow us progress, invest in fresh talent and resources.

We must regroup and go again. Time heals.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X