Munster v Leinster TP @ 18:45 Sat 5th Oct

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munster v Leinster TP @ 18:45 Sat 5th Oct

A few players have put their hands up for selection, and a few more are possibilities to be parachuted in if ready (bj and Murray.

i would like to see jj start at 10, and Dineen has the most rugby played at 12 this year, LLL outside him and johnne had a great game at 15 last week. The wings will be interesting and will have their work cut out

Up front James Cronin hasn't put a foot wrong but this is a big step up in intensity and opposition to anything he is used to, he will feature at some stage and may well start.

i would start sherry, they will try and put our line out under pressure from 2tall, hopefully Paulie and DOC will give him another lesson in how to play 2nd row.

Pom, dougall and butler looked a good unit against dragons, with CJ as first sub he could be a great impact or even start with butler coming on.

JJ v Madigan would be a pleasure to watch
    Marty in the Morning

Comment

Indeed, with parity between the packs it is the making of a great battle

Comment

I'd be more inclined to start CJ ahead of Butler - Paddy had a less than stellar game against the Dragons. Agree on Cronin though, no harm in rewarding his form - ditto Johne Murphy. JJ didn't set the world on fire on Saturday but was reasonably solid, whereas Keatley's brainfart against Treviso was a pivotal moment in that game. It may be harsh to use that on its own to drop him to the bench, but tbh I don't think there has been much else on the pitch that makes it easy to pick between them.

I'm more convinced than before that Earls should be starting at 13, but I want to see how Downey plays against serious opposition in the lead up to the HEC. It'll be hard to pick one backrow sub, but I think I'd like to see more of what Niall Ronan can bring. In the backs, somebody will inevitably end up disappointed but I think it's worth laying down the gauntlet for Zebo to get back to the top of his game, while I think Conway will have that "point to prove" as an extra bit of motivation. Laulala has been a mixed bag so far and for me the last two spots (15 and 23) are between Johne Murphy and Denis Hurley - seeing as Johne has put in some particularly good performances I'd like to see that recognised.

Overall I think Leinster are carrying better form into this game than we are, so it'll be interesting to see whether our players and coaches can make everything click. Looking forward to it.

Cronin, Sherry, Archer (Kilcoyne, Varley, Ryan)
        Ryan, POC (DOC)
        POM, Dougall, Stander (Ronan)
        Murray, JJ (Sheridan, Keatley)
        Zebo, Downey, Earls, Conway, Murphy (Hurley)

That's my pick, but tbh I can't see Laulala being left out, and Holland could also be in with a shout. If Penney starts Laulala at 13, I'd expect Earls to displace Conway.
        Last edited by mr chips; 30th-September-2013, 13:01. Reason: had thought D Ryan was injured, but apparently not
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Looks about right to me, but I think earls is a winger, and if he gets a run there he could prove to be the best in the country on tram lines

Comment

Season defining game.

Personally if Penney & co. don't deliver a win in this one changes need to made
            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Really?
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                Season defining game.

Personally if Penney & co. don't deliver a win in this one changes need to made

yea, if we lose this one, no amount of silverware at the end of the season will make up for it and we need to get rid of moyes, or whatever his name is

Comment

Have we all settled so on JJ as 10 and Keats just not going to make the position his at this stage?

Comment

Is Donnacha Ryan injured or are people excluding him for a reason?

For what it's worth, I'd go with the following squad:

15 Murphy
                    14 Earls
                    13 Laulala
                    12 Dineen
                    11 Conway
                    10 Hanrahan
                    9 Murray

1 Cronin
                    2 Sherry
                    3 Archer
                    4 Ryan
                    5 O'Connell
                    6 O'Mahony
                    7 Dougal
                    8 Butler

Bench: Kilcoyne, Varley, Ryan, Foley, Stander, Sheridan, Keatley, Zebo

I expect though, that Penney will select differently, particularly at 1,12 and in the backrow. I'm not sure either would he select Foley ahead of O'Callaghan for the bench, but I would, currently.
                    Last edited by Captain Average; 30th-September-2013, 10:33.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.

Comment

If we're to do that we'll need one hell of an improvement from the backs
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

My front row would be Cronin, Sherry and John Ryan. Its a bit harsh on Kilcoyne and Archer who has not got much time but starting Cronin and Ryan is rewarding form and a good test to see how their scrummaging is coming along.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                          Is Donnacha Ryan injured or are people excluding him for a reason?
                          I thought he was injured, no?
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

with Inspector Clouseau in charge of the game, it might be safer to leave POC on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                              I thought he was injured, no?
                              There's no mention of him in the last "injury update" from the official site and I don't recall him being injured in recent games?

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                              RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.

Comment

Working...
                              X