Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zebre V Munster Fri Sep 13 18:30 Stadio XXV Aprile Parma

Match thread.

Unbeaten run must continue. Possibly as few as 3 players - DOC, Laulala and Hurley - will be retained.

This is as obviously as good as it will get for Duncan Williams so he should probably be dropped. He should also seriously consider retirement so that he can go out on a high and on his own terms.

The front row coped well enough with Edinburgh, but the referee didn't like James Cronin's angry face. Kilcoyne seems more personable and needs a run out. Varley and Ryan to join him.

DOC came off early enough to suggest he's being saved for this one, when he can do more mentoring and cajoling of callow lock forwards. Ian Nagle this time. If Donnacha Ryan is available, he could take on the Mr Miyagi role from DOC.

H Cup back row won't be hired for a while and all the candidates should get an interview. Stander TOD Butler next in, with Ronan on the bench. Half backs Sheridan and JJ. There will be few opportunities for blooding new players through the season so Bohane should start this one alongside Laulala, with Conway right-wing and Murphy left. Hurley at full-back. Maybe Earls on the bench if he's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
      This is as obviously as good as it will get for Duncan Williams so he should probably be dropped. He should also seriously consider retirement so that he can go out on a high and on his own terms.
      Yikes! Thought he seemed a lot better than previous outings though I'd prefer sheridan. with Murray gone during the international windows you'll obviously need two scrum halves so what would you propose? Are there any up and comers in the background since munster don't have the cash to bring in anyone of note?
      The system is dead! Long live the process!

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
        Yikes! Thought he seemed a lot better than previous outings though I'd prefer sheridan. with Murray gone during the international windows you'll obviously need two scrum halves so what would you propose? Are there any up and comers in the background since munster don't have the cash to bring in anyone of note?
        Wasn't being entirely serious. I think Williams, while not playing particularly well last season, was blamed for a lot of things that weren't his fault, like some very lateral attacking play. He made some errors, but Munster's phase play broke down most often with knock-ons in midfield or brainless play near the touch-line. Munster's protection at rucks was also quite poor for much of the season and Duncan didn't cope too well with that. He's a handy enough player if he's given decent protection.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
          Wasn't being entirely serious. I think Williams, while not playing particularly well last season, was blamed for a lot of things that weren't his fault, like some very lateral attacking play. He made some errors, but Munster's phase play broke down most often with knock-ons in midfield or brainless play near the touch-line. Munster's protection at rucks was also quite poor for much of the season and Duncan didn't cope too well with that. He's a handy enough player if he's given decent protection.
          Decent protection of your scrumhalf is not asking too much of any forward. Munster get away with it to an extent with Murray because he's a bigger guy.

Comment

Originally posted by the_dazz View Post
            Decent protection of your scrumhalf is not asking too much of any forward. Munster get away with it to an extent with Murray because he's a bigger guy.
            Even Murray suffered from it a lot of the time, it was one of the principal reasons why his delivery from the base of the ruck slowed down so noticeably at times in his second season. He can handle a bit of physical obviously, but no scrum-half can play a lightning fast game if he's not receiving protection; no matter how big you are, your pass will get interfered with if someone does something as simple as grabbing your jersey.

Big personnel questions for me are: Will we see Kilcoyne come back in or will Cronin get another hit out after his superb debut? Will Sheridan and JJ be on from the start? Will CJ Stander make his seasonal bow and demolish all before him? And if he does, will it be at 8 or 6?

Zebre will be fired up, but if we play anything like we did last night, we should have too much firepower. Need to tighten up in defence though, and a statement of intent would be good in that regard.

Comment

Nothing but unremitting, brutal victory will suffice.
              Céard a ceapfá, Jerry?

Paul O'Connell can get toothpaste out of an onion. Fact.

Comment

One thing that struck about last night was our ball presentation seemed a lot better, players were taking better positions so the scrumhalf had easier access to it. It was a big thing of Penney's iirc, to use the players' length and reach to further protect the ball with Canterbury.

Wrt to Williams, I haven't kept count but is this his first full preseason in several years? He might just be fitter. It was noticeable last year he tended to collapse as games went on which might have been down to fitness.
                It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Zebre V Munster Fri Sep 13 18:30 Stadio XXV Aprile Parma

Good point Joey, the pace of Pennyball must be lung busting for a scrum half. By my, admittedly limited understanding of it, time missed in pre season would be very hard to make up. EDIT must add Duncan Williams performance last night was my highlight, he might not have the natural talent of many players but he works his socks off and tries his heart out and you cannot ask any more of a player IMHO, I hope last night gives him a good bit of confidence.
                  Last edited by the plastic paddy; 8th-September-2013, 18:25.

Comment

This one doesn't seem to be televised here- cr@p! Mediaset in Italy seem to have it - can't imagine there's much chance of it being shown at home....

Might there be a linky somewhere....here's hoping!
                    Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

It appears to be on Italia 2 (Broadcast under Mediaset) at 18:30 Irish time:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	2477859

This is the only working stream I've found so far:
                      http://www.livestream.com/ita2

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic View Post
                        One thing that struck about last night was our ball presentation seemed a lot better, players were taking better positions so the scrumhalf had easier access to it. It was a big thing of Penney's iirc, to use the players' length and reach to further protect the ball with Canterbury.
                        The improvement was very noticeable alright. Penney has a set of videos on Youtube about ball placement, seems to be a coaching specialty of his. A scrum-half's dream when it's done right.

Comment

It was noticeable: we were placing looooong, at right angles to the legs, which made life a lot easier for everyone, cleaners and scrumhalf.
                          Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenihan View Post
                            It appears to be on Italia 2 (Broadcast under Mediaset) at 18:30 Irish time:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7419[/ATTACH]

This is the only working stream I've found so far:
                            http://www.livestream.com/ita2
                            Apparently RTE will be showing extended highlights at 5.05pm on Saturday.
                            Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

According to Lyngsat, Mediaset Italia 2 runs in the clear on 2 frequencies.

http://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/it...-Italia-2.html

I done a scan at the weekend on both frequencies but it didn't pick up anything. Anyone know the story? I can get signals from 13° already. I was thinking it might be some kind of narrow beam like RTE have for Saorsat but Lyngsat says it's Wide beam.

Comment

Working...
                              X